Rick and Zimmer both gone

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Rick and Zimmer both gone

Post by Angels Wings »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:47 am
Angels Wings wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:44 am Cousins needs to be shown the door as well... :pour:
Yup, but by the new GM and head coach.

With any luck, we'll get good news on both sooner rather than later. I hope the Wilfs already have a short list on the GM candidates and will move aggressively.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I'd rather bring back Teddy than keep Cousins on his contract.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'm glad they got rid of them both. It was time for something new. Zimmer was Spielman's first real pick for coach as a GM so it makes sense to go down together. The Wilf's gave them every chance to succeed and fully let Spielman and Zimmer run with their collective visions.

So I assume a GM will come first. I wonder who they'll hire.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I have to say that I like the Jim Harbaugh idea. I have been all onboard for Leftwich. With a new GM also, not sure that we don't go after the Bucs John Spytek, the VP of Player Personnel. He could target Leftwich and they come together. Annnnd bring some scouts, etc. with him. Reason is that he is younger with much experience in building an incredible roster. They hit on draft picks and have an identity when it comes to schemes.
I also like whoever is working with John Lynch in SF. They have a solid roster also.
Regardless..... I am excited for the next few months like none other !!! I am super jacked to see how this team is put together from the GM to HC to Asst coaches !!!
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Slightly off topic. But interested to see what Patton does with the Bronco coaching search.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I want the new GM to be Adam Peters. I'm glad trader down got the boot also. I'm not looking at draft history across the NFL because that's boring. I know trader down has never proven the ability to pick a QB, an OL player or CB. That has been proven over and over. That will never change. At QB we have zero on our roster behind Cousins. After all these years and nothing. That's why I like Peters he's been to the show and that 49er team plays solid football. There rookie backup QB won a game for them this year. Sure he sucked overall buts it's a kid. This last draft Speilman had will go down as one of the biggest blunders in Viking history. Throw in last years 1st round miss on a scum bag and that's why the Wilf's booted his lame a$$. Our roster is painfully thin. Smith is making a fortune and does nothing anymore. It goes on from there. The Wilf's are Giant fans but I hope they don't look to that org for a GM or coach. There's nothing in that loser franchise at this point in time.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Cliff wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:25 am I'm glad they got rid of them both. It was time for something new. Zimmer was Spielman's first real pick for coach as a GM so it makes sense to go down together. The Wilf's gave them every chance to succeed and fully let Spielman and Zimmer run with their collective visions.

So I assume a GM will come first. I wonder who they'll hire.
+1. I would have been unhappy if they kept Spielman. He was the one that was overall responsible. He's had plenty of time to show what he can do, and while he made some good picks, he also never really created a true contender. As fun as the win over NO was with Keenum, that team wasn't a contender as they showed in the next round against. I at least felt we had a chance in 98 and 09. I've never really felt like we were close to even making let alone winning a SB since then.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:25 am :rock:

Great news for this franchise. We can finally move forward, for good or for bad, out of this slump of mediocrity that has been going on for the past decade +.

Wonder if this means they have a guy in mind who wants to be a HC and GM? Harbaugh anyone?
Not great news. The replacements we hire most likely will not be as good.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Angels Wings wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:44 am Cousins needs to be shown the door as well... :pour:
Why?
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

The press release from the Wilfs for those of us who refrain from celebrating until it’s etched in stone.

"This morning we met with Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer to notify them we will be moving in a different direction at the general manager and head coach positions in 2022," read the prepared statement. "We appreciate Rick and Mike's commitment to the team's on-field success, their passion for making a positive impact in our community and their dedication to players, coaches and staff. While these decisions are not easy, we believe it is time for new leadership to elevate our team so we can consistently contend for championships."
The statement from the Wilfs stated that the search for a new GM and head coach will be led internally and begin immediately, saying "We are determined to have sustained success and bring Vikings fans the Super Bowl championships they expect and deserve."
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:11 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:25 am :rock:

Great news for this franchise. We can finally move forward, for good or for bad, out of this slump of mediocrity that has been going on for the past decade +.

Wonder if this means they have a guy in mind who wants to be a HC and GM? Harbaugh anyone?
Not great news. The replacements we hire most likely will not be as good.
Odds say you are right, but I am okay with taking a step back to take two steps forward. What we had wasn't working, and it was time for a big change.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Let me go on record to say that I wish they had kept Spielman. Any GM has their faults, but you can do A LOT worse. A LOT.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Let me go on record to say that I wish they had kept Spielman. Any GM has their faults, but you can do A LOT worse. A LOT.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

PS, a few of us older ones have seen their entire history since 1961. For that reason I especially like the last sentence in the press release. There was some speculation on my part about their willingness to buy out contacts. Obviously they are and this move tells us that they may be willing to find a way to move on at QB. It should be an interesting off season to see who they bring in here and how they handle the former regimes roster.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I know there is alot of speculation on who the Vikings might hire as the head coach but who you you think the Vikings might bring in as a GM.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

Fan since December 1970. Whomever they decide to bring in as a head coach, it needs to be someone who communicates well (Zimmer always seemed cringe worthy in media exchanges) and can delegate offense and defense responsibilities. I always felt Zim was stretched too thin trying to be HC and Defensive Coordinator during the game. DELEGATE and you can still be involved in game planning and crucial game moment decisions.