Rick and Zimmer both gone

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Rick and Zimmer both gone

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:17 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:29 pm

No QB has ever won a football game. Teams do that.
Well in Cousins' case, neither he nor the teams he's been on have been in, much less won, many of those games.

He's probably just been incredibly unlucky in his career.

All things considered though, I'd greatly prefer the Vikings find themselves a QB with better luck going forward.
It's unlikely we find a better QB. Good chance we can get a person to play the position for less money. Then we can take those savings and invest them elsewhere.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:59 pm
VikingLord wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:17 pm

Well in Cousins' case, neither he nor the teams he's been on have been in, much less won, many of those games.

He's probably just been incredibly unlucky in his career.

All things considered though, I'd greatly prefer the Vikings find themselves a QB with better luck going forward.
It's unlikely we find a better QB. Good chance we can get a person to play the position for less money. Then we can take those savings and invest them elsewhere.
Just sign Keenum he's cheap. Ask Elway how that worked for him. You get what you pay for. We had the number 1 D with him and a top back and top WR and couldn't make it. Money was invested elsewhere. You won't make it with a bum like that. Couldn't even put up a fight. Scoring was impossible after the first drive. I'd rather not make the playoffs than get embarrassed like that. In today's world you need to score. It's been like that for 20+ years. That means putting it up. The Bucs just won with an old man who don't run the ball. Can't move when compared to the 4.4 QBs. He's not cheap but the guy can still throw the ball. But that team is solid all around. Our OL blows and doesn't give us a good shot. FA isn't filled with top flight OL guys. Teams keep those players. FA is never filled with top line guys. Those players stay with the team that drafted them until there play drops off. We have one of those PP. I wished the Chiefs would have kept him. They knew better. That's money for nothing. It's the same old story but to be a top team you need to draft well and you need a QB. See the Packers for an example. Our OL was so weak this year we didn't have a chance to make the show. The 2021 final offensive lines from PFF have been ranked. The bottom teams didn't go anywhere. Here it is https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021 ... e-rankings. Dallas was No 1 but they have a loser QB and couldn't score. They would be better off to dump that guy and play that cheap backup who tore us a new one. He wasn't like our backup who can't play at all. I understand what your getting at but there's more than one way. But one thing is certain you better win the LOS battle or your done. That's football 101.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:30 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:59 pm

Just sign Keenum he's cheap. Ask Elway how that worked for him. You get what you pay for. We had the number 1 D with him and a top back and top WR and couldn't make it. Money was invested elsewhere. You won't make it with a bum like that. Couldn't even put up a fight. Scoring was impossible after the first drive. I'd rather not make the playoffs than get embarrassed like that. In today's world you need to score. It's been like that for 20+ years. That means putting it up. The Bucs just won with an old man who don't run the ball. Can't move when compared to the 4.4 QBs. He's not cheap but the guy can still throw the ball. But that team is solid all around. Our OL blows and doesn't give us a good shot. FA isn't filled with top flight OL guys. Teams keep those players. FA is never filled with top line guys. Those players stay with the team that drafted them until there play drops off. We have one of those PP. I wished the Chiefs would have kept him. They knew better. That's money for nothing. It's the same old story but to be a top team you need to draft well and you need a QB. See the Packers for an example. Our OL was so weak this year we didn't have a chance to make the show. The 2021 final offensive lines from PFF have been ranked. The bottom teams didn't go anywhere. Here it is https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021 ... e-rankings. Dallas was No 1 but they have a loser QB and couldn't score. They would be better off to dump that guy and play that cheap backup who tore us a new one. He wasn't like our backup who can't play at all. I understand what your getting at but there's more than one way. But one thing is certain you better win the LOS battle or your done. That's football 101.
I'm not saying we should get a QB that will play the position for less money. I'm just saying that's more likely than getting a better QB. I've known that the OL is the most important position in football since I first started watching in 1970. A great OL will make a total crap QB look like a star.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

Aaron Rodgers will be sitting home with the Vikings watching the rest of the playoffs. A super star QB is an advantage but special teams and defense still has to play. Actually the Cousins situation will be the first huge far reaching decision for the new GM and coach. I wouldn’t want to make that call because it will devour them if they get it wrong. It’s going to take about three years before we know what we have.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:02 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:30 pm
I'm not saying we should get a QB that will play the position for less money. I'm just saying that's more likely than getting a better QB. I've known that the OL is the most important position in football since I first started watching in 1970. A great OL will make a total crap QB look like a star.
That's good to see another poster agree that OL play is important. The haters always say OL play don't matter. If you can't block or you commit a bunch of penalties your chances of winning are basically gone. Our season started with arguably one of the worst OL performances I have ever seen from our team. When you commit a holding penalty that's a drive killer. Opening day against the Bengals on the road every OL player we had made a penalty. O'neil was only charged with a false start so he gets a break. But the breakdown was like this.
Rashod Hill - 2 Holding calls. He was going for the hat trick but didn't get it. I'm sure the refs cut him a break.
Brandbury - he made a contribution with a hold.
Clevland - chipped in with a hold.
Holder Udoh - he was trying to get every penalty possible for an OL guy. He didn't trip anybody so he missed it. But he had a hold and one you don't see too often from an OL guy a 15 yard loss for unnecessary roughness. I'm old and don't recall ever seeing that one before. That could be considered the worst performance by our OL since day 1 of our franchise. Throw in the fact that they couldn't pass block and it's unforgivable. The worst part they were all back in the lineup. They are lucky I wasn't the coach because 4 of them would have been told to clean your locker out when we get back and don't come to our facility again. We'll see how the new GM attacks this pile.

Good news for the day is a Packers playoff lose. 49ers did there playoff stuff and got after the QB. Rodgers didn't look the same. Pressure makes them all go backwards. Throw in a few sacks and they couldn't score. The 49ers played good on all levels. There kicker made a pressure FG for the win. Our guy would have never made that kick. He would have shanked it into the bench or chunked it and hit it 5 yards short.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:45 am Aaron Rodgers will be sitting home with the Vikings watching the rest of the playoffs. A super star QB is an advantage but special teams and defense still has to play. Actually the Cousins situation will be the first huge far reaching decision for the new GM and coach. I wouldn’t want to make that call because it will devour them if they get it wrong. It’s going to take about three years before we know what we have.
The 49ers are playing like they did the last time they went to the Super Bowl. They did the same thing to Rodgers out on the west coast. The special teams did it but Rodgers wasn't himself. Didn't score too many points. They let the 49ers hang around.