Vikings vs. Rams

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings vs. Rams

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cole has been placed on IR and will be out the rest of the season. Oli Udoh will face Aaron Donald Sunday. Buckle up Kirk.

Merry Christmas Skol brothers!
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings vs. Rams

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The one plus that Kirk had that other Vikings QBs didnt was his durability. That will be tested Sunday with his cracked ribs . Maybe we could see Mond before the end of the season.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:42 pm The one plus that Kirk had that other Vikings QBs didnt was his durability. That will be tested Sunday with his cracked ribs . Maybe we could see Mond before the end of the season.
If they're out of the playoffs by the time they play the Bears I'd like to see them start Mond that game. They'll never do it with Zimmer though. It's more important to win a meaningless game than it would be to see whether Mond even kind of resembles a future starter.
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:45 pm Cole has been placed on IR and will be out the rest of the season. Oli Udoh will face Aaron Donald Sunday. Buckle up Kirk.

Merry Christmas Skol brothers!
Cole and Udoh are basically a toss up. They both suck and either one of them will get destroyed by Donald. Bradbury can't provide much help and will be run over. There will be some 56 back imprints on the turf. The best move for Kirk would be to request being a close contact of Cook and be placed on the Covid list for the next two weeks. He's about to face an avalanche right up the gut and the only escape will be to his right because whatever swinging gate is at LT won't provide much help either. Kubesteak should line up in shot gun only formation. That's the only chance to get the passing game going. I think it will be check down Kirk so Ham better be ready for some quick throws. But Zim will try and eat the clock up by banging Matti up the gut which will amount to nothing and I highly doubt Matti has the stamina for 30 + carries. So that will leave Ham with the dirty work. Get ready for 3 inches and a puff of turf dust. The rookie will get a couple pitches trying to stretch them out and he has a chance because he does have speed and he's fresh. That has a chance to provide some excitement. Kirk will be lucky to only have a cracked rib after this one. I'm sure the medical staff will have a few extra stretchers prepared. If the Rams bring there A game I highly doubt we break the 100 yard mark in team passing. I could be dead wrong also and our OL will open huge holes and not give up a sack or any knock down/out blows.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:42 pm The one plus that Kirk had that other Vikings QBs didnt was his durability. That will be tested Sunday with his cracked ribs . Maybe we could see Mond before the end of the season.
Many don't see that. But it could end against the Rams. If our OL plays like they did against the Bears I don't think he finishes the game. Mond hasn't been active all season so if Kirk is knocked out it will be whatever his name is that's our current backup.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:03 pm
Many don't see that. But it could end against the Rams. If our OL plays like they did against the Bears I don't think he finishes the game. Mond hasn't been active all season so if Kirk is knocked out it will be whatever his name is that's our current backup.
Mannion. How exciting.
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:32 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:03 pm
Mannion. How exciting.
Thanks. It's sad when you don't even know who the backup QB is. Now I know why. But I think they signed him mainly for his experience and knowledge of the game but if he needs to step in it won't be good. I guess they had no other choice because they needed a player that had some experience in case of an in game emergency. He's your typical 3rd round QB pick which are long term development guys. His problem is after years he has made very little progress. I'm not knocking him either because he has stayed in the NFL for a long time based on the averages. That in itself is a great accomplishment for that position.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Unlike us the Rams get tons of great press and the media cream their jeans over them. I'm not sold. Yes they have a good record but they basically feed on the dogs of the league. They did beat the Bucs which is impressive but got their asse$$ kicked by the Packers and couldn't play with the Titians. The 49ers laid the wood to them also. See the trend. But they do have a much better defense than us and overall they have a better offense which comes down to a far greater OL than we put out there. Stafford is basically Cousins. Neither are HOF guys and they are not total bums either. Both can have tremendous games and break downs when the chips are on the table. I expect us to be conservative as hell and try and get Matti on a roll. I like him as a player but I'm not sure how much juice is there at this point. With a no or a limited Adam we only have one WR so I'm sure all eyes will be on JJ. Our D will face a big challenge. But Stafford is starting to show cracks as always and threw a comical interception his last game. I expect him to toss another or 2 which will slow them. The team will play hard and I expect Zim to apply pressure on Stafford. It wouldn't surprise me if Kirk gets knocked out in this one. That's why I expect Zim to stick with the ground game and do a bunch of check downs to Ham and our TEs. I see it as a 24-12 game Rams. I don't know how we will score on O and maybe we get another KO return for a score. I expect the crowd to get a little POed as this shakes out.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Rams are a winning team and Zimmer doesn’t have a good record against winning teams.
Oli against Donald we are probably looking at least 3 holding calls.
Running back: we have enough talent at least.
Hope they Hold AT out and let him get healed up a little more.

Let’s see if Zimmer has big balls...in this do or die game.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Just wonder how severe cousins rib injury is? You know how Zimmer likes to down play injuries.
A lot of slight tweaks have ended up going to IR.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:42 pm
If they're out of the playoffs by the time they play the Bears I'd like to see them start Mond that game. They'll never do it with Zimmer though. It's more important to win a meaningless game than it would be to see whether Mond even kind of resembles a future starter.
My question is. Win or lose is this. Is Zimmer a dead duck or toast as a coach.? How far do the vikings have to go to save his job? Or is this firing of Zimmer talk and gets another year because of the covid season...

If he is toast, Then maybe the wilfs should direct him to play Mond.

Maybe not kosher, but can wish
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Foreman44 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:49 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:42 pm

My question is. Win or lose is this. Is Zimmer a dead duck or toast as a coach.? How far do the vikings have to go to save his job? Or is this firing of Zimmer talk and gets another year because of the covid season...

I think they'll lose two out of the last three. Is that enough to keep Zimmer? I hope not.
mael·strom

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The Rams are 3.5 point favorites. With home field worth roughly 3 points, Vegas sees LA as 6.5 points better than the Vikings. Honestly, I see that as about right.

The Vikings can win if they can do a few things:

1. Run the football.
Easier said than done. The Rams rank 5th against the run. But establishing a ground game is essential to point No. 2 …

2. Complete passes down the field via play action.
If Kirk sets up in 7-step drops with no play action, he’s toast. Aaron Donald has his way with good guards and centers. Imagine what he’ll do with Bradbury and u-DOH or Dozier. Got to scheme up some protection for Cousins. Mattison’s running needs to set things up, but Kirk’s gonna have to win it.

3. Win special teams.
Westbrook is back, which helps our punt return game. Kene is Kene. Get a big return from one of them, and the game can turn. And Joseph MUST make every kick he tries. No shanking extra points or short FGs for sure. The Rams’ kicker has been the best in the game this year, so there’s no room for error.

4. Win the turnover battle.
The Vikings have actually been very good here, tied for 7th best in the league at +7. If we’re gonna win this game, we need to turn over Matthew Stafford, who has thrown 10 picks.

5. Pressure the heck out of Stafford.
Wherever the Vikings have called home (Metrodome, TCF Bank or US Bank Stadium) has been a house of horrors for Stafford. I attended the game in 2018 where we sacked him 10 times, and he had pretty much given up by the middle of the third quarter. I don’t think 10 sacks are possible, but get to him half that many times, and we’ve got a chance.

It’s going to take one of the Vikings’ best efforts of the season to win this game. But one thing in the Vikings’ favor is the fact that they really need to win this game to have any sort of shot. They should be extra motivated. However, the Rams have everything to play for, as well, having caught the Cardinals for the division lead.

Gonna be tough. I’ll be cheering my butt off, but I fear the Rams are just too good. Don’t think they’ll blow us out, but I’d certainly give them the edge.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:05 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:49 pm

I think they'll lose two out of the last three. Is that enough to keep Zimmer? I hope not.
I hope not as well. GB is pretty much in control. But The great Mayfield has thrown 3 picks by the half way mark of 3rd. But not out of it, down 9 almost 4th qtr

Not a Browns fan, but like Stefanski (sp)?

GonBrowns
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:41 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:05 pm

I hope not as well. GB is pretty much in control. But The great Mayfield has thrown 3 picks by the half way mark of 3rd. But not out of it, down 9 almost 4th qtr

Not a Browns fan, but like Stefanski (sp)?

GonBrowns
Why do you like Stefan so much? Looks like Zim part 2. Ball control and play D. They can't beat the big dogs either. Just lost to the Packers.