Vikings @ Lions post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3121
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm
x 116

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by vikeinmontana »

Purple Reign wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:04 am I have a question about the end of the game. I understand that in overtime a td ends the game and there is no need for the PAT, or if on the final play of regulation a td wins and the PAT has no impact on the outcome. In this case, a botched PAT by the Lions and the Vikings returning it for 2 points would have tied the game. I understand the chance of that happening was almost 0 since the Lions would have just done a kneel down, but that's not the point. There was still a chance and as long as there was a chance they should have attempted the PAT. Or is there a rule that says a PAT doesn't have to be attempted in that case? Anyone know the rule?
Of course if they made it a rule you had to attempt a PAT wouldn’t the team just “go for two”? And when they did wouldn’t they they just take a knee?
i'm ready for a beer.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:17 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN
x 6

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by Purple Reign »

vikeinmontana wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:57 am
Purple Reign wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:04 am I have a question about the end of the game. I understand that in overtime a td ends the game and there is no need for the PAT, or if on the final play of regulation a td wins and the PAT has no impact on the outcome. In this case, a botched PAT by the Lions and the Vikings returning it for 2 points would have tied the game. I understand the chance of that happening was almost 0 since the Lions would have just done a kneel down, but that's not the point. There was still a chance and as long as there was a chance they should have attempted the PAT. Or is there a rule that says a PAT doesn't have to be attempted in that case? Anyone know the rule?
Of course if they made it a rule you had to attempt a PAT wouldn’t the team just “go for two”? And when they did wouldn’t they they just take a knee?
Yes, I said there wasn't much of a chance, but still a chance. Maybe the ball slips out of the center's hand on the snap and the ball gets batted/kicked around and a defender scoops it up and returns it. Stranger things have happened.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 577
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:03 pm
x 49

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Purple Reign wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:43 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:57 am

Of course if they made it a rule you had to attempt a PAT wouldn’t the team just “go for two”? And when they did wouldn’t they they just take a knee?
Yes, I said there wasn't much of a chance, but still a chance. Maybe the ball slips out of the center's hand on the snap and the ball gets batted/kicked around and a defender scoops it up and returns it. Stranger things have happened.
Browns vs Ravens game on MNF a few years back.
User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7558
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 661

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by VikingLord »

vikeinmontana wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:57 am Of course if they made it a rule you had to attempt a PAT wouldn’t the team just “go for two”? And when they did wouldn’t they they just take a knee?
I would.
Foreman44
Starter
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:30 pm
x 35

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by Foreman44 »

All I can say is it’s time for change, overhaul. Sucks we would basically be starting over, take a couple years. Probably stink next year. But maybe get in the running for Bryce Young. If they don’t think Mond can be the man.

It’s been the same ole crap every yr. high expectations, hopes, always being let down
I think Zimmer was a excellent D. Coordinator. But I think may he is to old school, old ways. Younger coaches.newer ideas.

Nick saban did it at Alabama. Saw he needed to adapt and changed his scheme
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9281
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1571

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Holy Bupkus. I just read something. I had totally forgotten, and it’s bizarre.

The 2001 Vikings were 5-7 when they traveled to Detroit to take on the 0-12 Lions. They trailed at halftime 20-7, went on to take a 24-20 lead late in the second half, then ultimately lost 27-24.

Wow. That is eerie.

As soon as the season was over, the Vikings fired Denny Green.

I pray history is repeating itself when it comes to our head coach.
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
User avatar
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 pm
x 106

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by IIsweet »

I saw something yesterday that had me smh !!!
The 2021 Vikings 2 minute defense is closing in on historic lows with an NFL WORST in points allowed in the final 2 minutes of any half with 101 points allowed this season. :shock:
The most points allowed in the final 2 minutes in the last 20 years is 107 points allowed.
This was set just last year, in 2020, by yours truly... the Minnesota Vikings :confused:
User avatar
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:29 am
x 72

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by Thaumaturgist »

IIsweet wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:01 am I saw something yesterday that had me smh !!!
The 2021 Vikings 2 minute defense is closing in on historic lows with an NFL WORST in points allowed in the final 2 minutes of any half with 101 points allowed this season. :shock:
The most points allowed in the final 2 minutes in the last 20 years is 107 points allowed.
This was set just last year, in 2020, by yours truly... the Minnesota Vikings :confused:
So... What you're saying is that this isn't a new problem...
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3121
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm
x 116

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by vikeinmontana »

IIsweet wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:01 am I saw something yesterday that had me smh !!!
The 2021 Vikings 2 minute defense is closing in on historic lows with an NFL WORST in points allowed in the final 2 minutes of any half with 101 points allowed this season. :shock:
The most points allowed in the final 2 minutes in the last 20 years is 107 points allowed.
This was set just last year, in 2020, by yours truly... the Minnesota Vikings :confused:
:wtf:
i'm ready for a beer.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:17 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN
x 6

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by Purple Reign »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:41 am
vikeinmontana wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:57 am Of course if they made it a rule you had to attempt a PAT wouldn’t the team just “go for two”? And when they did wouldn’t they they just take a knee?
I would.
Well, yeah, any coach would say take a knee. That doesn't guarantee the center/qb won't mishandle the snap. The way I see it, you are eliminating a scoring opportunity for the defense, no matter how small that chance is there is still a chance.
User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7558
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 661

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by VikingLord »

Purple Reign wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:20 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:41 am

I would.
Well, yeah, any coach would say take a knee. That doesn't guarantee the center/qb won't mishandle the snap. The way I see it, you are eliminating a scoring opportunity for the defense, no matter how small that chance is there is still a chance.
I have been watching football for a long time, and I can't recall any offense actually mishandling a kneel down that was returned for a score. I suppose it could happen, but I also suppose that if your team is in a situation where they need something like that to happen in order to win, just calling the game is the more merciful way to end it.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9281
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1571

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Another set of holy sh!t stats.

The Minnesota Vikings have given up the 3rd fewest points in the first 28 minutes of first halves.

The Minnesota Vikings have given up the 7th fewest points in the 56 minutes outside of the final 2 minutes of each half.

If the Minnesota Vikings had scored the same number of points in the last 2 minutes of both halves as they’ve given up, they’d be 9-2-1 and the No. 1 seed in the NFC (because they would have beaten the Cardinals).

The ineptitude displayed at the end of FIRST halves has been historically bad. We’re giving up 6 points per game in the last 2 minutes — by far the worst in league history. How far is by far? The difference between the Vikings and the second-worst team in NFL history (the 2018 Bengals) is the same as the difference between the Bengals and the 40th worst team (2013 Cleveland Browns).

If Mike Zimmer isn’t embarrassed by this, then he’s numb to humanity.
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 149

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:37 pm Another set of holy sh!t stats.

The Minnesota Vikings have given up the 3rd fewest points in the first 28 minutes of first halves.

The Minnesota Vikings have given up the 7th fewest points in the 56 minutes outside of the final 2 minutes of each half.

If the Minnesota Vikings had scored the same number of points in the last 2 minutes of both halves as they’ve given up, they’d be 9-2-1 and the No. 1 seed in the NFC (because they would have beaten the Cardinals).

The ineptitude displayed at the end of FIRST halves has been historically bad. We’re giving up 6 points per game in the last 2 minutes — by far the worst in league history. How far is by far? The difference between the Vikings and the second-worst team in NFL history (the 2018 Bengals) is the same as the difference between the Bengals and the 40th worst team (2013 Cleveland Browns).

If Mike Zimmer isn’t embarrassed by this, then he’s numb to humanity.
any stats on the offense in the last 2 minutes of each half? Just curious. Other team can't score if the offense has the ball (unless there's a turnover of course).

Not trying to take the blame away from the defense. I think Barr is such a liability on this team. He's practically invisible.

The puzzling stat. Vikings are #2 in sacks and sacks allowed.
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
CharVike
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2424
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 467

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:20 pm
Purple Reign wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:20 pm

Well, yeah, any coach would say take a knee. That doesn't guarantee the center/qb won't mishandle the snap. The way I see it, you are eliminating a scoring opportunity for the defense, no matter how small that chance is there is still a chance.
I have been watching football for a long time, and I can't recall any offense actually mishandling a kneel down that was returned for a score. I suppose it could happen, but I also suppose that if your team is in a situation where they need something like that to happen in order to win, just calling the game is the more merciful way to end it.
Miracle at the Meadowlands wasn't a kneel down but it should have been. That all started with a snap that the QB didn't appear to get clean. The ball was fumbled and returned for a TD by the defense. The game was over.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9281
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1571

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:45 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:37 pm Another set of holy sh!t stats.

The Minnesota Vikings have given up the 3rd fewest points in the first 28 minutes of first halves.

The Minnesota Vikings have given up the 7th fewest points in the 56 minutes outside of the final 2 minutes of each half.

If the Minnesota Vikings had scored the same number of points in the last 2 minutes of both halves as they’ve given up, they’d be 9-2-1 and the No. 1 seed in the NFC (because they would have beaten the Cardinals).

The ineptitude displayed at the end of FIRST halves has been historically bad. We’re giving up 6 points per game in the last 2 minutes — by far the worst in league history. How far is by far? The difference between the Vikings and the second-worst team in NFL history (the 2018 Bengals) is the same as the difference between the Bengals and the 40th worst team (2013 Cleveland Browns).

If Mike Zimmer isn’t embarrassed by this, then he’s numb to humanity.
any stats on the offense in the last 2 minutes of each half? Just curious. Other team can't score if the offense has the ball (unless there's a turnover of course).

Not trying to take the blame away from the defense. I think Barr is such a liability on this team. He's practically invisible.

The puzzling stat. Vikings are #2 in sacks and sacks allowed.
Our offense has been outscored 67-16 in the last 2 minutes of the first halves of games.
Our offense has been outscored 36-31 in the last 2 minutes of the second halves of games.
In total, the Vikings have been outscored 103-47 in the final 2 minutes of both halves.

Pretty pathetic.
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.