Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:18 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:35 pm

He absolutely has good weapons to work with. The line has been another matter. I wouod also like to see more competition at WR behind the top two guys. I don't believe he has had an offensive coach like McVay or Gruden in his corner here though.
Not having an offensive minded coach is a definite hindrance, I'll concede. The OL did a decent job in pass protection yesterday and yet the offense gained -4 yards off two defensive turnovers, stalled after getting gifted an offsides on a punt, and settled for a FG on a drive the refs were practically giving to them.

It's not all on Cousins obviously but the guy has major flaws and is vastly overpaid. Stafford is on a completely different tier.
Note: I am NOT absolving Cousins for his play against the Cowboys. When he plays like this, it makes me regret ever defending anything he does. It pissed me off, to be frank.

But the offensive line was terrible.

Every O-lineman except O’Neill gave up at least four pressures, and he gave up two. Cousins was pressured on 40% of his dropbacks.

Again, not an excuse. But the offense as a whole stunk up the joint, not just Cousins.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:43 pm

Not having an offensive minded coach is a definite hindrance, I'll concede. The OL did a decent job in pass protection yesterday and yet the offense gained -4 yards off two defensive turnovers, stalled after getting gifted an offsides on a punt, and settled for a FG on a drive the refs were practically giving to them.

It's not all on Cousins obviously but the guy has major flaws and is vastly overpaid. Stafford is on a completely different tier.
Note: I am NOT absolving Cousins for his play against the Cowboys. When he plays like this, it makes me regret ever defending anything he does. It pissed me off, to be frank.

Every O-lineman except O’Neill gave up at least four pressures, and he gave up two. Cousins was pressured on 40% of his dropbacks.

Again, not an excuse. But the offense as a whole stunk up the joint, not just Cousins.
I don't have access to PFF, NextGen, etc. But watching the game he seemed like he had a fair amount of time. There was the one sack by Darrisaw but other than that the pocket seemed pretty good outside of some pressure on play actions that the Cowboys diagnosed well.

Let's put it this way, I think Rush was under as much if not more pressure and he rose to the occasion. The Vikings also ran a TON of screens which by design causes pressure which may have influenced that stat.

I agree that the offense as a whole wasn't great. Particularly the play calling and time management.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I just saw an online headline that said Rodgers is going to be out with Covid this weekend. It probably won't matter but in a better year with a more capable team it would be an opportunity.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:49 pm

I don't have access to PFF, NextGen, etc. But watching the game he seemed like he had a fair amount of time. There was the one sack by Darrisaw but other than that the pocket seemed pretty good outside of some pressure on play actions that the Cowboys diagnosed well.

Let's put it this way, I think Rush was under as much if not more pressure and he rose to the occasion. The Vikings also ran a TON of screens which by design causes pressure which may have influenced that stat.

I agree that the offense as a whole wasn't great. Particularly the play calling and time management.
What gets me is they had a week to try and get something going. I don't know every change they made because that's impossible for a fan but just looking at the targets why is Ham suddenly getting passes. He's a blocker. Nothing more or less. How could anyone think that could get us going. The guy has no speed. 3 catches for 3 yards. That's 3 plays wasted. Basically hand offs that are passes which throws a bunch of risk into the mix. Like, sacks, stripes, deflections, interceptions ect.... just give the guy a hand off for a yard. That would be the last offensive guy I would get in the passing game. Bring that rookie WR burner in. Let him make the safeties respect the deep part of the field. If they don't then hit him deep. That opens the middle level up big time. This short BS to the slowest runner on our team is a terrible idea.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Watching the all 22, I don't think it was a play calling issue. There were at least 3 3rd downs where Cousins chose to throw to the wrong guy who had no chance at gaining a first, while someone was open beyond the sticks. More alarming were some of the 1st and 2nd down plays where he had JJ AND Thielen wide open down the field and he just didn't look at them.

The QB just sucked on Sunday and there really isn't an excuse for why.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:23 pm

Watching the all 22, I don't think it was a play calling issue. There were at least 3 3rd downs where Cousins chose to throw to the wrong guy who had no chance at gaining a first, while someone was open beyond the sticks. More alarming were some of the 1st and 2nd down plays where he had JJ AND Thielen wide open down the field and he just didn't look at them.

You as a fan can see this. Shouldn't the coaches sit him down and give someone else a shot when he is in this funk. More than likely nothing will happen with the new guy but maybe Cousins watching a series or two will give him a different perspective and get him on track. Maybe not also. But at least it would show the team that the coaches are trying to get something going. When the coaches do nothing guess what. Nothing will change. Also from this 22 how were we able to march right down the field the opening drive. What changed? Did Cousins just fall off the table and get into a funk the next series. Something is causing this unless it's just mental problems. There was less pressure we were ahead after that 1st TD.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:06 pm

You as a fan can see this. Shouldn't the coaches sit him down and give someone else a shot when he is in this funk. More than likely nothing will happen with the new guy but maybe Cousins watching a series or two will give him a different perspective and get him on track. Maybe not also. But at least it would show the team that the coaches are trying to get something going. When the coaches do nothing guess what. Nothing will change. Also from this 22 how were we able to march right down the field the opening drive. What changed? Did Cousins just fall off the table and get into a funk the next series. Something is causing this unless it's just mental problems. There was less pressure we were ahead after that 1st TD.
It is pretty common for teams to have success on opening drives and then struggle after. They find weaknesses in the other team's defenses and exploit them with a scripted drive. The robotic Cousins excels in that situation. He is told exactly what to do based on a given coverage and he does it. As the game goes on though, teams adjust and remove the weaknesses that were exploited on the 1st drive. At that point the QB needs to also adjust and that is when the wheels fall off because that has always been Cousins' downfall: needing to adapt on the fly. You can't coach that out of him either. He is a ten year vet and nothing is likely to change at this point. You can have a play or two in your back pocket that you can give him at the end of the game and tell him to take this shot against this particular coverage, but you just can't do that for an entire game.

Sometimes the underneath throw is the right throw to make, sometimes it isn't. The coaching staff can't decide which is which for Cousins, and he needs to be able to come off what his robot brain tells him should be the throw and instead make a play when it presents itself.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Maddening inconsistency from the OL for years now. They show up one game and look good, or even a series of games, but then they look completely unprepared and almost disinterested in other games. Whether the game is particularly important or high profile doesn't seem to matter. Neither does the reputation of the defense they are facing. They can be facing a top defense and hold their own, or face a bottom dweller and get completely outplayed.

I'm not even sure how it is possible for a single unit to be so up-and-down so consistently. And its usually a unit-wide issue. Sometimes individual players have bad games, but for the Vikings OL, it's pretty much an all-or-nothing performance for all of them.

Where is the accountability among the OL players themselves? Yeah, this could be coaching and lack of preparation from the coaching staff, but what about the guys who are out there, who are the ones who have their names and reputations associated with the performance and outcome? Do any of them care when they play like crap like that? Do any of them care that it keeps happening over and over?

I'm sure at some level they do, but I don't see any leadership or accountability at all among that unit. They get embarrassed, yet again, on national TV at home by an OK defense and now it's what, on to the next game?

They're as up-and-down as Cousins.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Do you know of a good YouTube channel that breaks this down? A Vikings channel mayhaps?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:31 pm

Do you know of a good YouTube channel that breaks this down? A Vikings channel mayhaps?
https://youtu.be/gQYHDtkpljo
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:02 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:31 pm

https://youtu.be/gQYHDtkpljo
Nice I sub to that guy myself. Not a ton of Viking only film study guys on YouTube though.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

One thing I'll say for Kirk Cousins regarding COVID. At least he mans up and defends his position that vaccination is a personal choice that he has decided not to make. He faced the music.

This would be unlike a certain lying, two-faced, passive-aggressive SOB across the border to the east, who not only lied about his vax status but also flaunted league protocols for two months plus training camp. Tom Brady got suspended for deflating some footballs by a psi on a cold day. Think Puker Boy will get suspended for this? I'm not holding my breath.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:34 pm One thing I'll say for Kirk Cousins regarding COVID. At least he mans up and defends his position that vaccination is a personal choice that he has decided not to make. He faced the music.

This would be unlike a certain lying, two-faced, passive-aggressive SOB across the border to the east, who not only lied about his vax status but also flaunted league protocols for two months plus training camp. Tom Brady got suspended for deflating some footballs by a psi on a cold day. Think Puker Boy will get suspended for this? I'm not holding my breath.
No he won't. A Hole... I man A Rod will not be suspended. My guess is he will throw up his hands and whine and cry foul. The league will replay tape, Mike Pereira and Dean Blandino will film segments saying on further review Erin never said or did anything wrong and Barr will be fined and somehow blamed for it.
Just like any other other scenario in a game when Erin starts one of his little hissy fits.
Just a big POS in my opinion
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:59 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:34 pm One thing I'll say for Kirk Cousins regarding COVID. At least he mans up and defends his position that vaccination is a personal choice that he has decided not to make. He faced the music.

No he won't. A Hole... I man A Rod will not be suspended. My guess is he will throw up his hands and whine and cry foul. The league will replay tape, Mike Pereira and Dean Blandino will film segments saying on further review Erin never said or did anything wrong and Barr will be fined and somehow blamed for it.
Just like any other other scenario in a game when Erin starts one of his little hissy fits.
Just a big POS in my opinion
As much as I want Rodgers suspended, he only lied to reporters from what I understand, and the NFL knew all along he wasn't vaccinated.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Puker boy might be with us someday. Things go in cycles and you have to admit Farve gave us an exciting season. One of the best in my lifetime. He kept me on the edge of my seat because you never knew what would happen. But he could sling it with the best of them. Rodgers is an NFL poster boy. He's basically all in on himself which isn't a bad idea. Yes Cousins is a good person and he has his own beliefs. You can't fault him for that. Be nice to see him get hot and start playing some good football for a change but I'm not holding my breath at this point in time.