Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:51 pm
VikingTom wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:45 pm

Hoping this will be a wakeup call for unvaccinated players.
I wouldn't hold your breath.

The unvaccinated are either not informed (and have no interest in changing that) or not rational. It really boils down to that.

I'll say this - if the players don't want to get vaccinated, fine, but if a player doesn't get vaccinated and ends up sitting out due to COVID protocols, he doesn't get paid. First time out, he forfeits the pro-rated proportion of his salary for the 14 days he's out. If it happens again, he forfeits double that amount. A 3rd time, triple. Etc, etc...

There has to be a cost for this behavior that reflects the impact on others. If the unvaccinated are forced to consider that cost when making their decision, they might make a different decision.

So Kirk, you just punted 2 weeks worth of your mega deal out the window. Your selfish choice cost the team. Still don't want to get vaccinated? Next time you'll punt a month's worth.
Unvaccinated players are tested everyday upon their arrival at camp. Vaccinated players are tested every 14 days. Based on that it appears Mond wasn't vaccinated either. Looks like we had only one vaccinated QB Browning. Based on that if a player is vaccinated they can participate in team activities even if they we close to an infected player. With that a player should get vaccinated. This could get ugly. I understand a player making the choice of not getting the vaccine. The team needs to decide if it's worth the risk of having unvaccinated players. Might come down to get vaccinated or don't show up.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by S197 »

Zimmer is doing his best but he can’t force anyone to get the vaccine. But if I were him, I would 100% strip Cousins and Smith of their team captain’s designation. I’d imagine Thielen was also in contention with Rudy now gone.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:09 pm
TSonn wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:53 am

I'll tell you what's not "leading" - having to sit out 2 weeks because you're exposed to COVID and not vaccinated as opposed to 5 days. One outcome is potentially missing 2 games, another outcome is potentially missing zero.

Take all the political garbage out of getting the vaccine and there are many pure football reasons why players should get vaccinated based on the NFL's new COVID procedures - especially some of our most important players (Cousins, Thielen, Smith).

Whenever these dudes put on a helmet they risk so many short-term and long-term health issues yet they're taking a stand against a vaccine that has more FDA approval than tattoo ink. Even if they don't want the mRNA vaccine, which is I guess more controversial, go get the more traditional JJ shot.

I hope none of them get COVID (and all of them get vaccinated), but none of them should be captains for our team in the future.
I don't get your reply to my comment. My first line was obviously a joke with the shock face and the next line saying that getting the Vaccine regardless of seeing any value in it for team unity was leadership.

Where are you getting the 2 week layoff for Kirk from. I've heard 5 days. Is this an update?
My bad, man. I read your statement along the lines of "all people who get vaccinated are sheep" - but it sounds like that wasn't your intent.

I can't find it now but I believe any vaccinated player who was in close contact to COVID can come back in 5 days as long as they test negative while any unvaccinated player who was in close contact to COVID has to wait 10-14 days depending on testing.
Last edited by TSonn on Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

S197 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:43 am Zimmer is doing his best but he can’t force anyone to get the vaccine. But if I were him, I would 100% strip Cousins and Smith of their team captain’s designation. I’d imagine Thielen was also in contention with Rudy now gone.
100%. Captains don't put the entire team at risk of forfeiting.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

TSonn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:15 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:09 pm
I don't get your reply to my comment. My first line was obviously a joke with the shock face and the next line saying that getting the Vaccine regardless of seeing any value in it for team unity was leadership.

Where are you getting the 2 week layoff for Kirk from. I've heard 5 days. Is this an update?
My bad, man. I read your statement along the lines of "all people who get vaccinated are sheep" - but it sounds like that wasn't your intent.

I can't find it now but I believe any vaccinated player who was in close contact to COVID can come back in 5 days as long as the test negative while any unvaccinated player who was in close contact to COVID has to wait 10-14 days depending on testing.
It's actually 2 days with 2 negative tests for vaccinated players. 5 days for unvaccinated players.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:20 am
TSonn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:15 am

I can't find it now but I believe any vaccinated player who was in close contact to COVID can come back in 5 days as long as the test negative while any unvaccinated player who was in close contact to COVID has to wait 10-14 days depending on testing.
It's actually 2 days with 2 negative tests for vaccinated players. 5 days for unvaccinated players.
Ah - gotcha. So I guess we'll know if Kirk tests positive if he's not back on the field by Friday then?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

TSonn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:48 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:20 am

Ah - gotcha. So I guess we'll know if Kirk tests positive if he's not back on the field by Friday then?
Exactly. I expect Cousins back Friday, but Mond could drag on for awhile. Stanley probably cut.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:01 am
TSonn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:48 am

Exactly. I expect Cousins back Friday, but Mond could drag on for awhile. Stanley probably cut.
Getting placed on the reserved/COVID list doesn't take them out of practice for a certain period of time like the standard IR list?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

TSonn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:40 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:01 am
Getting placed on the reserved/COVID list doesn't take them out of practice for a certain period of time like the standard IR list?
5 days in Cousins case. Mond actually has it so he has to test clean for I don't know how long.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Just to clear up some misinformation I have read in this thread. Mond is not vaccinated. He has Covid and is sick.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:57 pm Just to clear up some misinformation I have read in this thread. Mond is not vaccinated. He has Covid and is sick.
You sure about that? I read an article, I want to say in the tribune, that he was vaccinated.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:12 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:57 pm Just to clear up some misinformation I have read in this thread. Mond is not vaccinated. He has Covid and is sick.
You sure about that? I read an article, I want to say in the tribune, that he was vaccinated.
They were wrong. Ill find the article

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... hat-he-is/
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:21 pm

Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer lost three unvaccinated quarterbacks — Kirk Cousins, Kellen Mond and Nate Stanley — for a Saturday night scrimmage after Mond tested positive for COVID-19.

Jake Browning, who is fully vaccinated, was the only available quarterback. And he took advantage of his opportunity.

Per The Athletic's Nicki Jhabvala, the Vikings have the lowest vaccination rate in the league at 70% in process and 64.5% fully vaccinated.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:02 pm

Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer lost three unvaccinated quarterbacks — Kirk Cousins, Kellen Mond and Nate Stanley — for a Saturday night scrimmage after Mond tested positive for COVID-19.

Jake Browning, who is fully vaccinated, was the only available quarterback. And he took advantage of his opportunity.

Per The Athletic's Nicki Jhabvala, the Vikings have the lowest vaccination rate in the league at 70% in process and 64.5% fully vaccinated.
Leadership
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Thanks. That's very unfortunate...