A real offensive line, or just another "offensive" line

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: A real offensive line, or just another "offensive" line

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:07 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:00 am
If I were a betting man and I am I would bet you that Darrisaw barring injury will start over half the games. Give me 3-2 odds and I will bet on Davis starting over half the games. Want to put a buck on both of those?
How many offensive linemen have been benched under Zimmer, or any HC for that matter?

Coming in off the bench for an injured player like O'Neil did could happen, but if all 5 guys remain healthy it will likely be Hill, Cleveland, Bradbury, Udoh and O'Neil all season. Darrisaw still has a small chance to win the starting spot outright since he hasn't even really started practicing yet, but Udoh looks to have that RG spot locked down.
I'm giving it my best guess and you're giving it yours. You think that your reasoning regarding who will start is better than mine. I think mine is better than yours. Note I did ask for some slight odds to make the bet on Davis, but even up for the bet on Darrisaw.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I find Darrisaw very engaging and likeable based on this media session.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPdGP6W_SEs

If his play is as good as his personality the Vikings are in great shape.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Zimmer is describing Darrisaw’s injury as “one step forward, two steps back.” Perhaps this is why he fell so far in the 1st.

It’s going to be interesting long term to see how passing on Vera-Tucker or not moving up for Slater pans out. The immediate returns on Darrisaw, Davis and Mond aren’t as they were hoping I’m sure but it’ll be at least a year or two before we see which decision was best.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:32 pm Zimmer is describing Darrisaw’s injury as “one step forward, two steps back.” Perhaps this is why he fell so far in the 1st.

It’s going to be interesting long term to see how passing on Vera-Tucker or not moving up for Slater pans out. The immediate returns on Darrisaw, Davis and Mond aren’t as they were hoping I’m sure but it’ll be at least a year or two before we see which decision was best.
It always is. You really can't make a decision until year 3. Not many rookies make a huge impact. Yes Herbert and Jefferson and some others but for the majority not much. Darrisaw slipped because of the groin surgery. He's a good prospect but it might be time to shut him down. Every time he steps on the field it acts up.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

CharVike wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:52 pm
S197 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:32 pm Zimmer is describing Darrisaw’s injury as “one step forward, two steps back.” Perhaps this is why he fell so far in the 1st.

It always is. You really can't make a decision until year 3. Not many rookies make a huge impact. Yes Herbert and Jefferson and some others but for the majority not much. Darrisaw slipped because of the groin surgery. He's a good prospect but it might be time to shut him down. Every time he steps on the field it acts up.
I think we are all disappointed that Darrisaw is having lingering issues from his surgery in January. Not sure if that impacted his fall in the draft or not. It seems reasonable to have believed he would be further along than he is. My fear is I am starting to wonder if he will need further surgery for the groin problem.

In terms of who has a leg up on starting O line positions we should get a better picture when preseason games start. Seems like a lot of shuffling is going on right now.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingTom wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:33 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:52 pm
I think we are all disappointed that Darrisaw is having lingering issues from his surgery in January. Not sure if that impacted his fall in the draft or not. It seems reasonable to have believed he would be further along than he is. My fear is I am starting to wonder if he will need further surgery for the groin problem.

In terms of who has a leg up on starting O line positions we should get a better picture when preseason games start. Seems like a lot of shuffling is going on right now.
Your fear is not off base at all. Everyone of us were hoping that he was a plug in guy and he has the physical skill and playing time in college to be that. He wasn't a one year guy in college. That's a huge plus for a rookie. This has the markings of a season ender at this point. They will need to go with what they have. Hate to say it but I see a bottom 5 OL again. With our skill players that will work against mediocre teams but eventually we will face a top level team. That's when we will see the true colors.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

CharVike wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:02 am
VikingTom wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:33 am

Your fear is not off base at all. Everyone of us were hoping that he was a plug in guy and he has the physical skill and playing time in college to be that. He wasn't a one year guy in college. That's a huge plus for a rookie. This has the markings of a season ender at this point. They will need to go with what they have. Hate to say it but I see a bottom 5 OL again. With our skill players that will work against mediocre teams but eventually we will face a top level team. That's when we will see the true colors.
Vikings released their first ":unofficial" depth chart

Guards
LG Ezra Cleveland
RG Oli Udoh
LG Dru Samia
RG Dakota Dozier
LG Kyle Hinton
RG Wyatt Davis

I am hoping Udoh is listed at starting RG because he is that much improved, and not due to the others being that bad. Very disappointed W Davis is bringing up the rear. I expected him to be pushing for time with the first team.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingTom wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Guards
LG Ezra Cleveland
RG Oli Udoh
LG Dru Samia
RG Dakota Dozier
LG Kyle Hinton
RG Wyatt Davis

I am hoping Udoh is listed at starting RG because he is that much improved, and not due to the others being that bad. Very disappointed W Davis is bringing up the rear. I expected him to be pushing for time with the first team.
My goodness, just cut Dozier already. He is losing the camp battle to a converted tackle.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Guards
LG Ezra Cleveland
RG Oli Udoh
LG Dru Samia
RG Dakota Dozier
LG Kyle Hinton
RG Wyatt Davis

Oline is going to be Swiss cheese again this year. Good luck Cousins.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Per Arif Hasan, sounds like both offenses struggled in the joint practice with the Broncos. Our OL still struggling (and sounds like it was more Cleveland and Dozier than Udoh) as well as all our QBs. You know it's bad when they can't say who was the best QB today between both teams but it was probably Drew Lock.

In fairness, defense is usually ahead of the offense at this point in the off-season.

https://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFL/status ... 87492?s=19
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:34 pm Per Arif Hasan, sounds like both offenses struggled in the joint practice with the Broncos. Our OL still struggling (and sounds like it was more Cleveland and Dozier than Udoh) as well as all our QBs. You know it's bad when they can't say who was the best QB today between both teams but it was probably Drew Lock.

In fairness, defense is usually ahead of the offense at this point in the off-season.

https://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFL/status ... 87492?s=19
The Broncos have good DL people. We all need to get use to the abuse when facing good DL people. I fully understand not having the best but have this piece of crap again will do this squad in. Is it that hard to get close to average? Drafting Johnson and then having him change position is about as dumb as it gets. He's years away. He should be on the bench learning his new craft. Matter of fact it makes no sense drafting a guy that early and moving him. I could see a later pick. Like we did with Matt Birk. He should be at LT because we have nothing at the most critical position. More than likely he will be below average at LT but that's a million miles ahead of a guy that shouldn't be on the field outside of a backup emergency. Everybody saw this after last year. We didn't take any steps forward. Yes this is only training camp but when I hear the name Dozier and it's not related to being cut my gut turns.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:36 pm

Guards
LG Ezra Cleveland
RG Oli Udoh
LG Dru Samia
RG Dakota Dozier
LG Kyle Hinton
RG Wyatt Davis

How about Cook. We a lucky that Cook is arguably the best all around back we have ever had. He can get through tight spots and make moves to get away. But I've seen him against the top teams and he can't even avoid the avalanche at that point. We don't have a guy that can hold the point or drive people into the 2nd level. Cousins is the same when the rush is coming down he don't play the same. But that's every QB I have ever seen play the game. When we get after Rodgers he don't play the same and that's a HOFer. That's why Brady went to a team with a dam good OL. He basically stands there and picks away. His uniform still looks brand new after the game. Not even a wrinkle. Don't even have to wash it.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:40 am
allday1991 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:36 pm

How about Cook. We a lucky that Cook is arguably the best all around back we have ever had. He can get through tight spots and make moves to get away. But I've seen him against the top teams and he can't even avoid the avalanche at that point. We don't have a guy that can hold the point or drive people into the 2nd level. Cousins is the same when the rush is coming down he don't play the same. But that's every QB I have ever seen play the game. When we get after Rodgers he don't play the same and that's a HOFer. That's why Brady went to a team with a dam good OL. He basically stands there and picks away. His uniform still looks brand new after the game. Not even a wrinkle. Don't even have to wash it.
Brady had one of the quickest time to throws in the NFL. He gets rid of the ball quickly and makes the 14th best pass blocking Oline look better than they are. In the SB in particular he had the ball out so fast he could have played behind the Vikings 2015-2016 Oline and still easily have won.

That is just based on the actual numbers and facts though.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:50 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:40 am
Brady had one of the quickest time to throws in the NFL. He gets rid of the ball quickly and makes the 14th best pass blocking Oline look better than they are. In the SB in particular he had the ball out so fast he could have played behind the Vikings 2015-2016 Oline and still easily have won.

OK his OL sucks. He has 5 Samia's, who can't block anything playing around him. It's the release. If you put him on our team last year he wasn't taking that to the super bowl. Just to carry on Cousins had the most time to throw than any QB that ever played the game. Our OL is great. That's why they used a 1st and 3rd pick to fix it and even that wasn't enough. We still need bodies. Brady had a good OL regardless of you indicating they sucked based on some fact that somebody made up. Or that Brady has the quickest release ever. Makes Marino look like Billy Kilmer. It had zero to do with his release. I've seen that same release under pressure and it did nothing for him. Go back and watch our guy Tark in the Super Bowl. Too much pressure. Both the Steelers and Phins took him out because of tremendous pressure. Plus he had great movement. Didn't help because the pocket was pushed into the backfield. Pressure slows them all down.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:31 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:50 am

OK his OL sucks. He has 5 Samia's, who can't block anything playing around him. It's the release. If you put him on our team last year he wasn't taking that to the super bowl. Just to carry on Cousins had the most time to throw than any QB that ever played the game. Our OL is great. That's why they used a 1st and 3rd pick to fix it and even that wasn't enough. We still need bodies. Brady had a good OL regardless of you indicating they sucked based on some fact that somebody made up. Or that Brady has the quickest release ever. Makes Marino look like Billy Kilmer. It had zero to do with his release. I've seen that same release under pressure and it did nothing for him. Go back and watch our guy Tark in the Super Bowl. Too much pressure. Both the Steelers and Phins took him out because of tremendous pressure. Plus he had great movement. Didn't help because the pocket was pushed into the backfield. Pressure slows them all down.
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has the quickest release of any passer in the NFL this year. According to the latest Next Gen stats, Roethlisberger is releasing the football 2.29 seconds after the snap. That’s right, in addition to turning into this grizzly old vet.
These people think old man Roth has the quickest release. There is garbage posted all over. I know our OL sucks and I know Brady has a dam good one. Big Ben had a pathetic OL also which is why the picked guys and the one I wanted in round 3 Kendrick Green.