Rick Dennison fired for refusing vaccine

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Rick Dennison fired for refusing vaccine

Post by RandyMoss84 »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/318 ... ources-say

That is pretty stupid, Rick has the right to refuse the vaccine
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Rick Dennison fired for refusing vaccine

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Nazis
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

Dennison was listed as a tier one employee. All tier one employees in the NFL knew they would be required to get the vaccine. This becomes a business decision based on what they feel gives them the best chance to operate safely and efficiently. I know some do not like it, but this was a corporate decision that Dennison was well aware of. Maybe the question should be, "Why did he let the Vikings down by not getting vaccinated?"

I will add, I wish him well. He is a good coach who will be missed.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingTom wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:18 pm Dennison was listed as a tier one employee. All tier one employees in the NFL knew they would be required to get the vaccine. This becomes a business decision based on what they feel gives them the best chance to operate safely and efficiently. I know some do not like it, but this was a corporate decision that Dennison was well aware of. Maybe the question should be, "Why did he let the Vikings down by not getting vaccinated?"

I will add, I wish him well. He is a good coach who will be missed.
I think it is dumb to require it and if Dennison refused it then he can wear a mask and Dennison is not a good coach or he would have improved the Vikings offensive line which he did not
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Terrible coach who should have been fired for his performance well before this.

Between this and the Vikings likely signing Dede, it is a good day to be a Vikings fan.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:57 pmNazis
Please explain how terminating an at-will employee for refusing to comply with company policy is akin to Nazism... I'd love to understand how someone makes that leap...
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:14 pm I think it is dumb to require it and if Dennison refused it then he can wear a mask and Dennison is not a good coach or he would have improved the Vikings offensive line which he did not
If the Vikings suffer a COVID outbreak and can't play, they forfeit.

They're well within their rights to require their employees to reduce the chance of that happening.

Dennison doesn't have to agree, in which case bye bye. He's welcome to go find another job that doesn't require it. Its a free country after all.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Good. Never cared for him as a coach and he made his decision. Glad to move on.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:37 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:14 pm I think it is dumb to require it and if Dennison refused it then he can wear a mask and Dennison is not a good coach or he would have improved the Vikings offensive line which he did not

They're well within their rights to require their employees to reduce the chance of that happening.

Dennison doesn't have to agree, in which case bye bye. He's welcome to go find another job that doesn't require it. Its a free country after all.
Exactly. People often conflate freedom, freedom of speech as an example, with freedom from consequences. They are not the same. Policy was made and he chose not to adhere, plenty of others willing and capable to take that job that will abide by the rules.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

My only problem with this is why doesn't the same rule apply to the players? To protect everyone involved, I think it should.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:41 pm

Exactly. People often conflate freedom, freedom of speech as an example, with freedom from consequences. They are not the same. Policy was made and he chose not to adhere, plenty of others willing and capable to take that job that will abide by the rules.
When people were complaining about needing to wear masks in a private business, I would make this same argument. Target has the right to not let you in their store if you don't wear a mask. You not wearing one is infringing on their rights to control what goes on in THEIR store. You can't do whatever you want on someone else's private property.

Where this is a bit different, and where I see where people are coming from, is that this kind of gets into people's right to privacy over their medical information. I don't feel the Vikings have a right to even know if Dennison has taken the vaccine. Once he told them of his own free will, sure, fire him, but I question whether they should even be able to ask him about it.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:31 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:57 pmNazis
Please explain how terminating an at-will employee for refusing to comply with company policy is akin to Nazism... I'd love to understand how someone makes that leap...
So if the company asked them to get a vasectomy to ensure they wouldn't have a kid that would take away their attention from work would that be ok as well? What's funny is libs didn't want or trust the vaccine when Trump was in office but now it's totally changed. I didn't want it then or now. I can think for myself and don't need authority to tell me how to live my life. What happened to my body my choice? Why aren't players required to get them as well? If an outbreak starts it likely will come from a player and not a coach. Why are the vaccinated so afraid of the unvaccinated? Don't you trust that your vaccine will protect you?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:08 pm

When people were complaining about needing to wear masks in a private business, I would make this same argument. Target has the right to not let you in their store if you don't wear a mask. You not wearing one is infringing on their rights to control what goes on in THEIR store. You can't do whatever you want on someone else's private property.

Where this is a bit different, and where I see where people are coming from, is that this kind of gets into people's right to privacy over their medical information. I don't feel the Vikings have a right to even know if Dennison has taken the vaccine. Once he told them of his own free will, sure, fire him, but I question whether they should even be able to ask him about it.
I don't think he was fired. He chose to quit over getting a vaccine.

What is the difference between this situation and a student being required to show proof of vaccines (MMR, DTap, Hep etc) to attend school? The employer has to have some kind of record for proof I would think.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

I am recently retired, but spent over 45 years working in critical care. You could claim a fine line here. Businesses can and do set requirements for certain vaccines. With those requirements come penalties for non compliance. While a business can require vaccines, they cannot release your vaccine status publicly. In the case of Dennison the public and press may infer the reason he was fired. Or Dennison himself may state why he was released. The Vikings cannot verify publicly what his vaccine status is. The NFL set a rule, to remain employed the employee must show proof of compliance, the business can release that employee for noncompliance and still maintain confidentiality within HIPPA regulations.

Simple examples. I was required on an annual schedule to get a flu shot, get TB tested, and fit tested for N-95 mask. Failure to comply meant removal from the schedule. Subsequently after 30 days I would be released from my position. I understood the rules. The Hospital had the right to verify my compliance. It was not a HIPPA violation unless they were to publish a list of the non compliant.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:42 pm

I don't think he was fired. He chose to quit over getting a vaccine.

What is the difference between this situation and a student being required to show proof of vaccines (MMR, DTap, Hep etc) to attend school? The employer has to have some kind of record for proof I would think.
He did not quit, he got fired for refusing to get the vaccine, you really think Dennison said “I Quit!” and walked out? I doubt it