Championship Roster

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Championship Roster

Post by Rhodes Closed »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:50 am
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:36 am

It cannot be possibly any worse than 2016. At worst, it will be as bad as 2019 (in which we made playoffs), at best, it will be a top 15 offensive line. That is my prediction for this season.

With a top 5 defense this year, that is still a possibility of a Super Bowl.
The last time we had a top 5 defense was 2018. Is this defense as good as that one?
In my opinion it has the potential to be better than that.

From the 2018 roster:

Danielle Hunter
Sheldon Richardson
Anthony Barr
Eric Kendricks
Mackensie Alexander
Harrison Smith
Stephen Weatherly

Are all returning. Yes, they're 3 years older, but they're also three years more experienced as starters. That's pretty key even if they lose a step.

Then you have the replacement on defense in comparison to their 2018 counterparts, and this is just my opinion:

Dalvin Tomlinson > Tom Johnson
Michael Pierce = Linval Joseph
Chazz Surratt =? Ben Gedeon
DJ Wonnum < Everson Griffen
Cameron Danztler < Xavier Rhodes
Patrick Peterson > Trae Waynes
Breshaud Breeland > Holton Hill
Tye Smith > Craig James
Kris Boyd < Marcus Sherels
Xavier Woods > Anthony Harris

That is what looks like a better overall roster compared to 2018. Sure, you can argue everyone is older, but this new group has experience. They have grit, and they have skill, which is what is most important. I have zero doubt we won't at least be a top-10 if not top-5 defense this year unless injuries kills us again.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 am
VikingLord wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:18 pm Sorry, but it can't be worse.
We learned the hard way that it can always be worse last season when Elf went down and Samia came in and was somehow worse.

LT certainly will be worse from a pass blocking standpoint, and there are no guarantees the guard play is better. In that scenario you have a worse Oline.

There is potential for better certainly, but this is the NFL and there are no guarantees.
C'mon guys, just let me keep the purple glasses on a little longer this offseason...

:smilevike: :v):
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:26 am
StumpHunter wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 am

We learned the hard way that it can always be worse last season when Elf went down and Samia came in and was somehow worse.

LT certainly will be worse from a pass blocking standpoint, and there are no guarantees the guard play is better. In that scenario you have a worse Oline.

There is potential for better certainly, but this is the NFL and there are no guarantees.
C'mon guys, just let me keep the purple glasses on a little longer this offseason...

:smilevike: :v):
Take them off and you will still see everything coming up purple. This will be a good year for Vikings fans.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

There's going to be a lot of turnover on the Defensive side of the ball that has to be overcome.

I still imagine an adjustment to defensive scheme/alignment that allows the defense to play more downhill and less reactively. That's been the plague of this defense over the last few years. Zimmer has intimated such potential changes over the last couple years, and I still think we are going to see that. The defensive backfield consists of a lot of guys who are going to be best in zone, and I think we've got the personnel to play a lot of Cover 3, which should keep things simple, speed up the learning curve, and allow these guys to gel pretty quickly.

On the Line, I think Richardson plays 5 tech on early downs, with Pierce and Tomlinson at DT, and Hunter at LEO. Good luck running against that lot.

On later downs, Richardson slides down to DT, Pierce moves to the bench.

There is reason to be excited about this roster, but I think the defense is going to have to live up to the hype to drag an offense that can't perform well against top defenses over the top. So far, there is no indication that we will have an offense capable of performing against top defenses. Kirk has never been a QB capable of doing that, and there's no reason to believe he finally will be. The OL might be improved, but its not going to be THAT good.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:15 am There is reason to be excited about this roster, but I think the defense is going to have to live up to the hype to drag an offense that can't perform well against top defenses over the top. So far, there is no indication that we will have an offense capable of performing against top defenses. Kirk has never been a QB capable of doing that, and there's no reason to believe he finally will be. The OL might be improved, but its not going to be THAT good.
The OL play is going to be critical. There is reason for hope with that group, but until we see them in action it's impossible to say if they'll be good enough to hold up their end of the bargain. If they do, the sky is the limit for this team. If not, it's probably still going to be an entertaining season that ends well short of the ultimate goal.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:48 am
fiestavike wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:15 am There is reason to be excited about this roster, but I think the defense is going to have to live up to the hype to drag an offense that can't perform well against top defenses over the top. So far, there is no indication that we will have an offense capable of performing against top defenses. Kirk has never been a QB capable of doing that, and there's no reason to believe he finally will be. The OL might be improved, but its not going to be THAT good.
The OL play is going to be critical. There is reason for hope with that group, but until we see them in action it's impossible to say if they'll be good enough to hold up their end of the bargain. If they do, the sky is the limit for this team. If not, it's probably still going to be an entertaining season that ends well short of the ultimate goal.
We are probably safe to assume OL play relatively in line with last year. We might see some development from young guys, or some improvement in upgrading personnel at the Guard spots, but then we are back to rookie players with developing strength. Neither a slight step back or a modest step forward would surprise. It's doubtful we see the dramatic improvement at OL that amounts to the critical difference in this team's fortune.

The critical thing for the 2021 Vikings is going to be the defense emerging as a dominant unit with the ability to keep the team in the game against good competition. Our offense will put up lots of yards and points, but likely won't be able to do that against the tougher teams, given our vulnerability at OL and QB.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

So ... what about these Justin Houston rumors.

He's available, and some talking heads think he'd be a great fit for the Vikings.

Yes, he's 32 and on the downside of his career. But he's also averaged 9.0 sacks over the past four seasons, and he's only missed four tackles total over the past two seasons. He's coming off a two-year contract with the Colts worth $11.5 million per year. Given his age and the fact that he's still unsigned, it seems reasonable to think he'd take much less.

What do y'all think? Take a flyer on him for a year and line him up opposite of Danielle Hunter?

I also wonder if Zimmer won't play more 3-4 than he's typically done in the past. You could have Pierce at nose, with Tomlinson and Richardson on the ends as down linemen. Have Barr and Hunter be your stand-up rush OLBs, and finish it out with Kendricks and somebody like Nick Vigil as your ILBs.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:03 pm So ... what about these Justin Houston rumors.

He's available, and some talking heads think he'd be a great fit for the Vikings.

Yes, he's 32 and on the downside of his career. But he's also averaged 9.0 sacks over the past four seasons, and he's only missed four tackles total over the past two seasons. He's coming off a two-year contract with the Colts worth $11.5 million per year. Given his age and the fact that he's still unsigned, it seems reasonable to think he'd take much less.

What do y'all think? Take a flyer on him for a year and line him up opposite of Danielle Hunter?

I also wonder if Zimmer won't play more 3-4 than he's typically done in the past. You could have Pierce at nose, with Tomlinson and Richardson on the ends as down linemen. Have Barr and Hunter be your stand-up rush OLBs, and finish it out with Kendricks and somebody like Nick Vigil as your ILBs.
I don't think the Vikings have the depth at LB to play much true 3-4.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

StanM wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:15 am This defense went from train wreck to oncoming freight train within the span of a few months. If all these new players on both sides of the ball gel like we expect them to they’ll give OC’s fits. How does a team even attack a defense that looks this good on paper? I am excited about the coming season.
"from train wreck to oncoming freight train" I love that! Hope to God it's true.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:03 pm So ... what about these Justin Houston rumors.

I'd prefer using our remaining cap to extend guys that will help us down the road. O'Neill is probably the best example but maybe Smith as well as safeties can play in this league pretty long. It's tempting to sign these high profile guys in their twilight years but it's too much of a win now mentality for me. Don't get me wrong, if it gets us one championship then it's totally worth it. I just think with the youth at OL and the strength of the NFC, it's a big gamble to go all in this year.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:06 pm
VikingLord wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:48 am

We are probably safe to assume OL play relatively in line with last year. We might see some development from young guys, or some improvement in upgrading personnel at the Guard spots, but then we are back to rookie players with developing strength. Neither a slight step back or a modest step forward would surprise. It's doubtful we see the dramatic improvement at OL that amounts to the critical difference in this team's fortune.

The critical thing for the 2021 Vikings is going to be the defense emerging as a dominant unit with the ability to keep the team in the game against good competition. Our offense will put up lots of yards and points, but likely won't be able to do that against the tougher teams, given our vulnerability at OL and QB.
We have no vulnerability at QB. Kirk is one of the best.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

This is where I'm at. No matter how good this team can be, to get deep in the playoffs, you need a QB that can elevate the team when needed. Kirk is not that guy. No matter how good the OL will be, no matter how good the defense might be, Kirk will be Kirk.

Question for those that believe in Cousins. What if the Vikings barely make it over .500 and are one and done in the playoffs this year. He has a "championship roster", rookie QB in CHI, new QB in DET, maybe no Rodgers in GB. Will you still believe in him? Shouldn't this be his "prove it" year for you folks? This is his 10th year in the league. He's 51-51 as a starter. Only one double digit win season. Stafford has 2. At some point, don't you folks have to stop blaming everyone else?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:22 am
This is where I'm at. No matter how good this team can be, to get deep in the playoffs, you need a QB that can elevate the team when needed. Kirk is not that guy. No matter how good the OL will be, no matter how good the defense might be, Kirk will be Kirk.

Question for those that believe in Cousins. What if the Vikings barely make it over .500 and are one and done in the playoffs this year. He has a "championship roster", rookie QB in CHI, new QB in DET, maybe no Rodgers in GB. Will you still believe in him? Shouldn't this be his "prove it" year for you folks? This is his 10th year in the league. He's 51-51 as a starter. Only one double digit win season. Stafford has 2. At some point, don't you folks have to stop blaming everyone else?
That's a lot of supposing for something you don't know will happen. You can't proactively play captain hindsight when nothing has even happened yet.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:02 am

That's a lot of supposing for something you don't know will happen. You can't proactively play captain hindsight when nothing has even happened yet.
"Proactively play captain hindsight"? Isn't that is a complete contradiction?

He is making a prediction of what will happen and stating the excuses need to stop if it does.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Honestly, I find that a boring road to go down. Kirk will do really well against teams that don't apply a ton of pressure, and against generally average to below average teams. That Vikings have every reason to expect to have a top 10 offense this year. He is who he is and I don't mean for my comments to lead to yet another debate about the merits of Kirk Cousins. I just meant to talk about the Vikings path to winning a super bowl. The defense theoretically can be good enough to get a team with this kind of offense (one that feasts against weaker teams, but doesn't have the ability to rise to the challenge against playoff caliber defenses) to the championship. In order to do so, they'll have to be a really great unit. If it's another reactive Zimmer unit like we've seen in the past, that is playing on their heels and not playing downhill, this team is going nowhere.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins