Who did the Vikings want at 8?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Who did the Vikings want at 8?

Post by StumpHunter »

https://youtu.be/JMtSvMy5Vdo

We now know for a fact they tried to move up to 8 for 14 and both 3rds. Wouldn't budge on the 1st next year.

So who was the pick there?
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Re: Who did the Vikings want at 8?

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:49 pm https://youtu.be/JMtSvMy5Vdo

We now know for a fact they tried to move up to 8 for 14 and both 3rds. Wouldn't budge on the 1st next year.

So who was the pick there?
Justin Fields is a guy I heard we tried to trade up for but couldn't confirm this anywhere.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Was it Doogie who said that? Not sure I trust anything that guy says.

Looking at who was drafted between 8 and 14, we know it was one of these players since it was clear that person they were trading up for was no longer on the board when it was their turn to pick:

Jaycee Horn
Surtain
DeVonta Smith
Fields
Micah Parson
Rashawn Slater

We can rule out Smith since I don't think WR was that big of a need the Vikings would essentially offer the rest of their meaningful picks in the draft to get him.

It would be pretty crazy if the Vikings did try to trade up for Fields at that spot and didn't budge on next year's first for their QBOTF. I also wonder what the reaction would have been from Vikings fans if Rick traded all 3 of his picks in the first 3 rounds for a CB like Surtain or Horn.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

It was for Justin Fields, I posted this a few weeks ago

http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com/view ... =1&t=38173

I am glad Vikings refused to budge on giving up first round pick for next year
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

It was obviously Slater.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I have heard Slater and Fields names both mentioned. Hopefully thing will work out for the best with our pick.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:18 am I have heard Slater and Fields names both mentioned. Hopefully thing will work out for the best with our pick.
Considering the way things worked out, getting Darisaw, Mond and Davis with our #14 pick and Surratt and Jones with the picks we would have given up, I'm certain the Vikings are very glad that the Panthers didn't accept our offer. Spielman did get very lucky.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:08 am
halfgiz wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:18 am I have heard Slater and Fields names both mentioned. Hopefully thing will work out for the best with our pick.
Considering the way things worked out, getting Darisaw, Mond and Davis with our #14 pick and Surratt and Jones with the picks we would have given up, I'm certain the Vikings are very glad that the Panthers didn't accept our offer. Spielman did get very lucky.
I agree
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

:v):
Slater is who a lot of people want to believe I think.

I just dont know how Dallas turns down 2 3rds or a 3rd and a 4th to move down two spots and likely get the guy they want anyway. And if Rick was willing to give that up for Slater at 8, he would have been offering the same thing to every team until LAC drafted him at 13, right?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:50 pm :v):

I just dont know how Dallas turns down 2 3rds or a 3rd and a 4th to move down two spots and likely get the guy they want anyway. And if Rick was willing to give that up for Slater at 8, he would have been offering the same thing to every team until LAC drafted him at 13, right?
Slater was highly rated, sure, but I saw plenty of mocks and position rankings that didn't have Slater rated above Darrisaw or AVT. While he was in the top tier of OL in this draft, I find it hard to accept that the Vikings were willing to give up significant draft capital to move up to take any OL. If they were that desperate for OL, it is also odd that when their pick at #14 game around and two of the top OL prospects were still available, they then traded down and risked all of them being gone by the time their 1st rounder came up.

A move up like the one the Vikings wanted to make almost had to be for a player who was certain to be gone by the time their pick came up, and that had to be Fields. More than likely they felt he should have gone top 5 and moving up that high was beyond reach, but when he fell into a range where they could afford to move up I think that is the play they wanted to make.

I think they'll be glad their attempt failed. Moving back and getting the value they got along the OL has a much higher chance of success than Fields turning into a franchise QB as a pro.

It is kind of ironic that Spielman will be praised if his trade back move works out well and Darrisaw, Davis and Monds turn out to be studs as pros and the team enjoys a lot of success as a result and Fields tanks, when in fact had he been successful in trading up and Fields tanked, he would have been panned.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:31 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:50 pm :v):

Slater was highly rated, sure, but I saw plenty of mocks and position rankings that didn't have Slater rated above Darrisaw or AVT. While he was in the top tier of OL in this draft, I find it hard to accept that the Vikings were willing to give up significant draft capital to move up to take any OL. If they were that desperate for OL, it is also odd that when their pick at #14 game around and two of the top OL prospects were still available, they then traded down and risked all of them being gone by the time their 1st rounder came up.

A move up like the one the Vikings wanted to make almost had to be for a player who was certain to be gone by the time their pick came up, and that had to be Fields. More than likely they felt he should have gone top 5 and moving up that high was beyond reach, but when he fell into a range where they could afford to move up I think that is the play they wanted to make.

I think they'll be glad their attempt failed. Moving back and getting the value they got along the OL has a much higher chance of success than Fields turning into a franchise QB as a pro.

It is kind of ironic that Spielman will be praised if his trade back move works out well and Darrisaw, Davis and Monds turn out to be studs as pros and the team enjoys a lot of success as a result and Fields tanks, when in fact had he been successful in trading up and Fields tanked, he would have been panned.
Wouldn't the Vikings have been less motivated to give up draft capital to move up for Fields considering we already have Cousins?
And yes. Spielman may have been good, but he was also lucky.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:32 pm Wouldn't the Vikings have been less motivated to give up draft capital to move up for Fields considering we already have Cousins?
Seems like some pretty good motivation to draft a QB to me.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:10 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:32 pm Wouldn't the Vikings have been less motivated to give up draft capital to move up for Fields considering we already have Cousins?
Seems like some pretty good motivation to draft a QB to me.
Trader down Rick made his move. Now it's just a matter of kicking the Cousins can and his 35 TD passes down the road. Nothing like bringing back the good old days.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

No fact just gut feeling. Could be totally wrong.. my gut says fields will not pan out special. As discussed often. Qbs drafted with very high expectations are more often than not. BUSTS..Look at the Bears with Trabiski, late example, but maybe a chance, Mond May bust, but the expectations are not there as with Fields.

Wouldn’t it be something to see our players drafted in his spot. The ones we drafted and ones we saved our picks pan out stars. Fields becomes a journey,

Maybe I am wrong, maybe he Stars
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:56 am No fact just gut feeling. Could be totally wrong.. my gut says fields will not pan out special. As discussed often. Qbs drafted with very high expectations are more often than not. BUSTS..Look at the Bears with Trabiski, late example, but maybe a chance, Mond May bust, but the expectations are not there as with Fields.

Wouldn’t it be something to see our players drafted in his spot. The ones we drafted and ones we saved our picks pan out stars. Fields becomes a journey,

Maybe I am wrong, maybe he Stars
We all have opinions about the players drafted. Mond has expectations and needs to take over in two years max. However after starting nearly 4 years he's still considered a developmental guy. This is what concerns me "He’s a good athlete for his size, and he runs tough." We have a guy who can run tough his name is Cook. We need a guy who can throw tough. Thread the needle from any angle, hang in against heavy pressure, throw all different type of passes, has tremendous accuracy, has touch ect.... In other words be a QB. Most experts come out with this BS that a team has no chance unless you have a dual threat at QB. Then they think for once and say except for Brady and Rodgers ect..... The Pats currently have a dual threat former MVP QB and drafted a potential upgrade in round 1. Wonder why? Because his passing skills blow. But he's a good athlete and runner. You need to be able to pass the ball in today's game. Most rules are bent to favor the passing game. This isn't early 1970's football anymore. What Speilman picked is TJack act 2. I already seen act 1 and I don't need it again. It's boring football. Everybody has an opinion about Cousins also. What everybody forgets is he plays behind a swiss cheese offensive line. No QB performs well under that scenario just ask Mahomes. Speilman's view of an upgrade is draft a couple guys. Don't even worry about getting the blue chip player just get a guy. I don't agree with that approach at all. How can a GM think of not bringing in competition for Bradbury and Cleveland? They can't hold the point. It's hard to play QB with that going on in front of you. I seen them all crumble when that goes on. The Chiefs adjusted the CAP and brought in proven NFL players to help their QB. Speilman can't see that path. He's blinded and stuck in his way of doing things. That will never change. The plan now is to throw two rookies against the wolves. Good luck to the kids and good luck to Cousins health. Maybe he'll get knocked out and we can see the future this year.