Gary Kubiak Joins Vikings as Offensive Adviser/Assistant Head Coach

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Gary Kubiak Joins Vikings as Offensive Adviser/Assistant Head Coach

Post by Cliff »

The Vikings named Kevin Stefanski as their offensive coordinator on a permanent basis after he closed the year as the interim choice for the job, but they may not be done adding to the top of their offensive coaching staff.

NFL Media reports that the Vikings are “in play” for former Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak. Kubiak was initially expected to take a job on the Broncos staff, but those talks broke down and Kubiak is now pursuing a return to coaching with other teams.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ry-kubiak/
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Off season changes/ hirings & firings

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 pm Not an actual firing or hiring but I thought it fit here best;
The Vikings named Kevin Stefanski as their offensive coordinator on a permanent basis after he closed the year as the interim choice for the job, but they may not be done adding to the top of their offensive coaching staff.

NFL Media reports that the Vikings are “in play” for former Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak. Kubiak was initially expected to take a job on the Broncos staff, but those talks broke down and Kubiak is now pursuing a return to coaching with other teams.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ry-kubiak/
Weird. Would he be the NFL's highest paid QB coach? Assistant head coach?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Apparently the Vikings have hired Kubiak in an offensive advisory role. I think Kubiak is a good coach but the Broncos are the team that I follow in the AFC and I can tell you the reason why he left Denver is because he apparently wanted to bring in Rick Dennison as offensive line coach and somebody who was a tight end Coach he was friends with and Elway wanted no part of it. According to Broncos fans Rick Dennison is a horrible offensive line coach.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm Apparently the Vikings have hired Kubiak in an offensive advisory role. I think Kubiak is a good coach but the Broncos are the team that I follow in the AFC and I can tell you the reason why he left Denver is because he apparently wanted to bring in Rick Dennison as offensive line coach and somebody who has a tight end Coach they was friends with and Elway wanted no part of it. According to Broncos fans Rick Dennison is a horrible offensive line coach.
This surprises me. I am glad with this hire. Is Dennison bad? He will likely be coming, imo.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm Apparently the Vikings have hired Kubiak in an offensive advisory role. I think Kubiak is a good coach but the Broncos are the team that I follow in the AFC and I can tell you the reason why he left Denver is because he apparently wanted to bring in Rick Dennison as offensive line coach and somebody who has a tight end Coach they was friends with and Elway wanted no part of it. According to Broncos fans Rick Dennison is a horrible offensive line coach.
There are a few boards talking about needed Oline coaches. It seems the good ones usually stay put or become OC/HC. I know others have said this, but Mike Tice would be the perfect Oline coach. He has a proven track record. He would be worth a bad year instead of just firing someone and hoping to snag a decent Oline coach. I think an Oline coach has to be almost perfect to be in MN. Cause Rick has no clue how to see talent on an Oline, and Zimmer doesnt know much about the offense at all, and is involved even less.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Interesting about the Oline angle, but everything I have read points more to him bringing over his son to be a QB coach. I definitely think they are concerned about their investment with Cousins and are looking for any way to get the best version of him, which I also think Gary can help with. Overall, I believe Kubiak the elder, is a very good coach and can be an asset. Just gotta hope his role is defined and there's not "too many cooks in the kitchen" type thing going on.

Stefanski better watch out though! If he doesn't start off well, they again may get rid of their OC mid-season with Kubiak being on the coaching staff now...I mean, it's something you have to think about given Zimmer's history here. :lol:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

:appl:
Shannahan's offense gives Cousins the best chance at success so I'm happy about Kubiak!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think pairing a known product in Kubiak with Stefanski makes me feel a little better about handing the reigns to a first time OC. The Broncos could seemingly run the ball with just about anyone in the backfield so I'm hopeful some of that magic will transfer here. Zimmer seems to love hiring ex-HC's. I don't think it's a bad thing more than interesting.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

S197 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:21 pm
I think pairing a known product in Kubiak with Stefanski makes me feel a little better about handing the reigns to a first time OC. The Broncos could seemingly run the ball with just about anyone in the backfield so I'm hopeful some of that magic will transfer here. Zimmer seems to love hiring ex-HC's. I don't think it's a bad thing more than interesting.
Yeah I remember growing up they could plug a runningback in and they would go for at least a thousand. Broncos fans have soured on his scheme though and think it's outdated. They guy won 3 super bowls and made Flacco have a career year though.
mael·strom

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I think that's a good thing. Zimmer seems to be aware of his limited abilities and knowledge on O, so IMO this is a good sign. He's not too proud to hire a very strong presence to strengthen that side of the equation.

Here's to hoping Stef and Kubiak can gel and work well together in their roles. Klint Kubiak, Gary's son, is going to be QB coach. I guess he's been with the Vikes in minor roles previously. I am not fond of nepotism, but I'll withhold judgment here until we see how things go.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:17 pm Interesting about the Oline angle, but everything I have read points more to him bringing over his son to be a QB coach. I definitely think they are concerned about their investment with Cousins and are looking for any way to get the best version of him, which I also think Gary can help with. Overall, I believe Kubiak the elder, is a very good coach and can be an asset. Just gotta hope his role is defined and there's not "too many cooks in the kitchen" type thing going on.

Stefanski better watch out though! If he doesn't start off well, they again may get rid of their OC mid-season with Kubiak being on the coaching staff now...I mean, it's something you have to think about given Zimmer's history here. :lol:
LOL! Yes, we may see Stefanski walk away mid-season to "get out of the way".
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:30 pm

I think that's a good thing. Zimmer seems to be aware of his limited abilities and knowledge on O, so IMO this is a good sign. He's not too proud to hire a very strong presence to strengthen that side of the equation.

Here's to hoping Stef and Kubiak can gel and work well together in their roles. Klint Kubiak, Gary's son, is going to be QB coach. I guess he's been with the Vikes in minor roles previously. I am not fond of nepotism, but I'll withhold judgment here until we see how things go.
This will be at least the third time under Zimmer that coach and his son are on the staff. Zimmer's son Adam is the LB coach. Norv Turner's son Scott was QB coach while he was with the Vikes. Now it's the Kubiaks...
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Mothman wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 pm

This will be at least the third time under Zimmer that coach and his son are on the staff. Zimmer's son Adam is the LB coach. Norv Turner's son Scott was QB coach while he was with the Vikes. Now it's the Kubiaks...

Well, you can't argue the results right?
mael·strom

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 pm

It's a little funky.

The other issue is Gary's health. He's had some serious problems in the past few years.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

On the surface it seems exciting, but am I the only one that sees some red flags with this?

1. seems repeating a pattern. Hire accomplished offensive mind. receive praise for recognizing personal weaknesses on the offensive side, etc. etc. But will zimmer try to micromanage how Kubiak "advises" And will Kubiak get canned by week 10 if he doesn't listen?? And how many years does Zim have to be HC before he becomes the "CEO" that is responsible for the TEAM and not just the defense??? It seems that Zim wants the best of both worlds.....to micromanage the offense but only be accountable for the Defense. Which is it???

2. Am I the only one who thinks this seems a bit like an act of desperation. They are panicking because they are finally realizing what many of us realized a LONG time ago (ie the day the deal was announced)......that they made a massive $84 Million mistake??