It’s Time To Reset

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

It’s Time To Reset

Post by Purple Domination »

Let’s ditch these matte helmets and bring back the shiny ones.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: It’s Time To Reset

Post by 720pete »

I have never been so frustrated.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I’m not talking about the light purple color of the early 2000s, I’m talking about the dark purple ones from yore.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

The current helmet is my least favorite throughout their history.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I hated the uniform change, and the purple color of uniforms and helmets. I think it happened around Childress or Fraziers time as HC. It should be changed, its a new era.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I really like the matte, to each their own I guess. The throwbacks are still my favorite but with the helmet rule that's not happening.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

S197 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:19 pm I really like the matte, to each their own I guess. The throwbacks are still my favorite but with the helmet rule that's not happening.
What helmet rule? The dark purple throwbacks are my favorite too. What got me thinking of them was the 3Q of the Pats game. The rain made our helmets look dark purple instead of matte and it looked great. We don’t even wear our throwbacks once a year anymore.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Purple Domination wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:33 pm
S197 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:19 pm I really like the matte, to each their own I guess. The throwbacks are still my favorite but with the helmet rule that's not happening.
What helmet rule? The dark purple throwbacks are my favorite too. What got me thinking of them was the 3Q of the Pats game. The rain made our helmets look dark purple instead of matte and it looked great. We don’t even wear our throwbacks once a year anymore.
You can't change helmets mid-season. Something about "broken in" helmets are safer so they would need to paint the matte the dark purple for one game. Seems like too much work.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Ah, interesting. Don’t they “reshell” the helmets every game anyway? Remmers helmet was all scratched up, but will look brand new next week.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Not entirely sure of the logistics, I think they may just touch up the paint but just a guess.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

For the record. I like their matte helmets better than anything but their originals. The helmets during the Childress era were putrid.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Some detail:
Three years ago, the NFL established a policy that required every player in the league to wear just one helmet per season. The rule came after it was communicated to the league that changing helmet shells during the season may leave players more susceptible to head injuries.

“In 2013, we communicated to the clubs a recommendation from the Head, Neck and Spine Committee and the Player Safety Advisory Panel that players no longer wear different helmets during the season to accompany a different jersey design beyond the home and away uniforms,” a league official said in a statement when reached by email. “The outside of the helmet can be modified by removing or replacing decals, as long as it does not affect the integrity of the helmet.”

The league believes that new helmets need time to break in. By switching out helmets during the season, the NFL is afraid there's a chance players can get hurt if their new lids aren't broken in well enough. And while it's understandable that the NFL would want to take measures to limit brain damage to players (although there certainly seem to be more pressing practical concerns as far as that goes) — there's doubt as to whether this policy actually does that.
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/an- ... gns-091616