Vikings Draft Picks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Draft Picks

Post by YikesVikes »

jackal wrote:Not one interior lineman ?

Not impressed with this draft at all
:rofl:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

jackal wrote:Not one interior lineman ?

Not impressed with this draft at all
Drafted one. Good flyer and good value in the 6th
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Who is backing up Linval? We have no one. The depth behind Kendricks and Gedeon also doesn't look very good. Exacerbated by Brothers screw up.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Vikes REALLY wanted Ragnow in Rd. 1.

Worth a listen, especially at 11:20, but the whole thing really.

http://kstp.com/news/scoop-podcast-epis ... t/4884689/
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

S197 wrote:Who is backing up Linval? We have no one. The depth behind Kendricks and Gedeon also doesn't look very good. Exacerbated by Brothers screw up.

I was thinking the same thing as to who was going to back up Joseph. My guess is it's going to be Johnson
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

MrPurplenGold wrote:
S197 wrote:Who is backing up Linval? We have no one. The depth behind Kendricks and Gedeon also doesn't look very good. Exacerbated by Brothers screw up.

I was thinking the same thing as to who was going to back up Joseph. My guess is it's going to be Johnson
Maybe but his issue last year was run defense. He's supposedly better when he can just rush the passer. But the only other option is Dylan Bradley, which is pretty ridiculous. I'd have to think we grab a free agent. This draft was so badly mismanaged...
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote:
MrPurplenGold wrote:

Maybe but his issue last year was run defense. He's supposedly better when he can just rush the passer. But the only other option is Dylan Bradley, which is pretty ridiculous. I'd have to think we grab a free agent. This draft was so badly mismanaged...
I couldnt agree more. I dont know of their preperation wasnt right, or if their draft board didnt take into account guys they wanted and a run on the interior Oline. Either way, there were option on the table yet when Hughes was drafted. But they decided to go BPA on their board, and I think, a really heavy influence of Zim. Love Zim but he isnt the GM, Rick is. Last year Rick made some good choices with Cook (my pre draft favorite, like Anthony Miller was this year) and then with Elf. Elf has turned into a mauler and we got him in the 3rd. I also think he is good both with pass and run protection. He also can pull with the best of them. I wish I had that much to say about both of our first 2 picks. And DT was a need, and we got some kind of hybrid DE/DT. And I doubt any of these guys are ready day one, or even year one. Its so sad after the year we had last year.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:
MrPurplenGold wrote:

I guess what I don’t understand is we’re questioning who’s backing up Linval but questioning the Hughes pick? I was A LOT more worried about who our 4th CB was vs who was backing up Joseph. If any of Rhodes, Waynes and/or Alexander were to go down, we would be plugging in Marcus Sherels and Joe Schmo as our starters. That is MUCH more concerning than backup NT. No less Alexander is a mystery and we have Waynes contract coming up.

Also Richardson is an elite run defender and could move to Linvals spot if he goes down. Which then gives us plenty of guys that could go inside at 3 tech. On running downs it would be Johnson and on passing a combo of B-Rob and Holmes who they are planning on using inside at 3 tech. NOT at DE

And another thing I don’t get is that everyone pegged OL as a top need. And when we didn’t take one first, it was automatically pegged as a bad pick when so many of us KNEW we could go with BPA. Then we come back in the 2nd and draft an OL! But that’s considered a bad pick?

Our #1 need last year by a long shot was OL. And we didn’t take Elflein until round 3 and Isidora in the 5th. This year we get O’Neill in the 2nd and Gossett in the 6th. But that’s mismanaged? OL was way more of a need last year than it was this year and we waited and it turned out for the better. This year we only wait 1 round and take an OL but it’s a bad pick? Problem is everyone was pegged that we needed OL round 1 and Hernandez was there. And since that wasn’t our pick, this draft automatically turns into a bad draft. Me personally, I think that’s pretty unfair. And it’s mainly because we passed on Hernandez as much as fans will try to say it’s not.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I really don't have too much of an issue with our draft outside of round one and round three.

I don't love the Hughes pick. I personally believe Josh Jackson and Isaiah Oliver were better corners. I know the emphasis was on a slot players but...

I think it's fair to question why Rick didn't bite on his trade back offers. I feel like we could have traded back, received extra picks and taken a top interior lineman. It could be argued that Braden Smith, Austin Corbett, and Will Hernandez were not only needs picks, but were picks that could come in and contribute immediately.

Mike Hughes (given Zimmer's history/tendency) outside of special teams ability and/or injury will not contribute this season significantly. To me, that's why it would have made more sense to draft a corner in rounds two or three. You would still get a solid player and allow time for him to develop. There were guys like Carlton Davis, Nick Nelson, Anthony Averett, Parry Nickerson, and Davonte Harris we could have drafted later. I picked these players specifically because they all had Zimmer traits at corner. All of them could have played the slot (except maybe Carlton Davis).

Now, this does not matter. I am not Rick Spielman. So my opinion means nothing. Mike Hughes could be the next Chris Harris Jr. in the slot and next Devin Hester at KR/PR for all I know.

In the third round my biggest gripe is trading out and passing on Harrison Phillips. Phillips had a high SPARQ grade and was a pretty dominant player for Stanford. I thought for sure he fit Zimmer's defensive style to a T. Instead we traded out and took a tweener in Jaylen Holmes. I personally don't see the fit. I heard Rick talk about how they want to make him a inside rusher. That's cool. We definitely could use it. However, we have Jaleel for that role. Phillips could have done that. Phillips also offers way more in terms of run support than Holmes offers at this stage. It is a bit confusing to me. Again, what do I know? Holmes could dominate for all I know.

In summary, I don't hate the draft. I like Brian O'Neil. I don't see him starting this year though. Trading up for Daniel Carlson was a bit surprising, but I totally understand it. He's probably the best kicker in the class. He may not have lasted. I am all for improving the kicking game. I like Tyler Conklin, but I wonder if Troy Fumagalli was who the Vikings really wanted? I like Colby Gossett but he will need developmental time. Ade Aruna has explosive athletic traits but his 3-cone drill is alarming. However, in the sixth round, it really doesn't matter too much. Don't know much about Devante Downs other than he is coming off an ACL. Would have liked us to draft Akrum Wadley or Justin Jackson, but it really doesn't matter too much.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I was thinking the same thing as to who was going to back up Joseph. My guess is it's going to be Johnson[/quote]

Maybe but his issue last year was run defense. He's supposedly better when he can just rush the passer. But the only other option is Dylan Bradley, which is pretty ridiculous. I'd have to think we grab a free agent. This draft was so badly mismanaged...[/quote]

I guess what I don’t understand is we’re questioning who’s backing up Linval but questioning the Hughes pick? I was A LOT more worried about who our 4th CB was vs who was backing up Joseph. If any of Rhodes, Waynes and/or Alexander were to go down, we would be plugging in Marcus Sherels and Joe Schmo as our starters. That is MUCH more concerning than backup NT. No less Alexander is a mystery and we have Waynes contract coming up.

Also Richardson is an elite run defender and could move to Linvals spot if he goes down. Which then gives us plenty of guys that could go inside at 3 tech. On running downs it would be Johnson and on passing a combo of B-Rob and Holmes who they are planning on using inside at 3 tech. NOT at DE

And another thing I don’t get is that everyone pegged OL as a top need. And when we didn’t take one first, it was automatically pegged as a bad pick when so many of us KNEW we could go with BPA. Then we come back in the 2nd and draft an OL! But that’s considered a bad pick?

Our #1 need last year by a long shot was OL. And we didn’t take Elflein until round 3 and Isidora in the 5th. This year we get O’Neill in the 2nd and Gossett in the 6th. But that’s mismanaged? OL was way more of a need last year than it was this year and we waited and it turned out for the better. This year we only wait 1 round and take an OL but it’s a bad pick? Problem is everyone was pegged that we needed OL round 1 and Hernandez was there. And since that wasn’t our pick, this draft automatically turns into a bad draft. Me personally, I think that’s pretty unfair. And it’s mainly because we passed on Hernandez as much as fans will try to say it’s not.[/quote]

I like the draft. Hughes is gonna be a stud at CB and return man. Upside to O'neil, probably wont start right away, he needs to get with the strength coach ASAP. Kicker is going to be a stud indoors and cheaper than Kai. I think Gossett could surprise and earn a position on the line. I really was hoping for a running back in the later rounds, I wanted Scarborough from Alabama.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Texas Vike wrote:Vikes REALLY wanted Ragnow in Rd. 1.

Worth a listen, especially at 11:20, but the whole thing really.

http://kstp.com/news/scoop-podcast-epis ... t/4884689/
For the last week before the draft most all mocks had him going to the Bengals at # 21.
That's probably why he went at #20,one pick before the Bengals.
Would Rick have move up that far for him?
Shurmur is thanking Rick for Hernandez...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I really don't have too much of an issue with our draft outside of round one and round three.

I don't love the Hughes pick. I personally believe Josh Jackson and Isaiah Oliver were better corners. I know the emphasis was on a slot players but...

I think it's fair to question why Rick didn't bite on his trade back offers. I feel like we could have traded back, received extra picks and taken a top interior lineman. It could be argued that Braden Smith, Austin Corbett, and Will Hernandez were not only needs picks, but were picks that could come in and contribute immediately.

Mike Hughes (given Zimmer's history/tendency) outside of special teams ability and/or injury will not contribute this season significantly. To me, that's why it would have made more sense to draft a corner in rounds two or three. You would still get a solid player and allow time for him to develop. There were guys like Carlton Davis, Nick Nelson, Anthony Averett, Parry Nickerson, and Davonte Harris we could have drafted later. I picked these players specifically because they all had Zimmer traits at corner. All of them could have played the slot (except maybe Carlton Davis).

Now, this does not matter. I am not Rick Spielman. So my opinion means nothing. Mike Hughes could be the next Chris Harris Jr. in the slot and next Devin Hester at KR/PR for all I know.

In the third round my biggest gripe is trading out and passing on Harrison Phillips. Phillips had a high SPARQ grade and was a pretty dominant player for Stanford. I thought for sure he fit Zimmer's defensive style to a T. Instead we traded out and took a tweener in Jaylen Holmes. I personally don't see the fit. I heard Rick talk about how they want to make him a inside rusher. That's cool. We definitely could use it. However, we have Jaleel for that role. Phillips could have done that. Phillips also offers way more in terms of run support than Holmes offers at this stage. It is a bit confusing to me. Again, what do I know? Holmes could dominate for all I know.

In summary, I don't hate the draft. I like Brian O'Neil. I don't see him starting this year though. Trading up for Daniel Carlson was a bit surprising, but I totally understand it. He's probably the best kicker in the class. He may not have lasted. I am all for improving the kicking game. I like Tyler Conklin, but I wonder if Troy Fumagalli was who the Vikings really wanted? I like Colby Gossett but he will need developmental time. Ade Aruna has explosive athletic traits but his 3-cone drill is alarming. However, in the sixth round, it really doesn't matter too much. Don't know much about Devante Downs other than he is coming off an ACL. Would have liked us to draft Akrum Wadley or Justin Jackson, but it really doesn't matter too much.
Solid analysis. Couple things. With Hughes, even though he’s shorter, I think he could be good on the outside as well. I could even see Zim wanting to put Alexander on the outside at times and put Hughes in the slot. Right now we have two solid strictly outside corners in Rhodes and Waynes, but Hughes and Alexander can play both inside and out. Our defensive backfield is fully loaded right now. And don’t be surprised if we still try to bring Newman back more from a leadership standpoint.

And as for Holmes, he’s another hunter type player. Really long arms but plays more inside than out. You mentioned Jaleel for the inside role but Jaleel is a strict DT. I think Zim is gonna use Holmes like he did B-Rob at times. He’s a pass rush tweener that can play outside and inside where Jaleel only plays inside. Jaleel is a 320 pound DT. Holmes is only 280 that’s a much better athlete.

I liked Phillips too but he’s strictly a nose. He could play at 3 tech but doesn’t have the athleticism. So he’d essentially just be backing up linval if we drafted him. Don’t be surprised if Zim tries to sign Richardson long term and let Waynes and maybe Barr walk. Zim said he’s always been a Richardson fan and has had his eye on him for a while.

Overall, good analysis tho. I’m a fan of the O’Neill pick too. I wouldn’t be surprised if Remmers plays RG and O’Neill ends up starting at RT. Isidora is a sleeper IMO too. Same with Gossett
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Norv Zimmer wrote:I was thinking the same thing as to who was going to back up Joseph. My guess is it's going to be Johnson
Maybe but his issue last year was run defense. He's supposedly better when he can just rush the passer. But the only other option is Dylan Bradley, which is pretty ridiculous. I'd have to think we grab a free agent. This draft was so badly mismanaged...[/quote]

Our #1 need last year by a long shot was OL. And we didn’t take Elflein until round 3 and Isidora in the 5th. This year we get O’Neill in the 2nd and Gossett in the 6th. But that’s mismanaged? OL was way more of a need last year than it was this year and we waited and it turned out for the better. This year we only wait 1 round and take an OL but it’s a bad pick? Problem is everyone was pegged that we needed OL round 1 and Hernandez was there. And since that wasn’t our pick, this draft automatically turns into a bad draft. Me personally, I think that’s pretty unfair. And it’s mainly because we passed on Hernandez as much as fans will try to say it’s not.[/quote]

I like the draft. Hughes is gonna be a stud at CB and return man. Upside to O'neil, probably wont start right away, he needs to get with the strength coach ASAP. Kicker is going to be a stud indoors and cheaper than Kai. I think Gossett could surprise and earn a position on the line. I really was hoping for a running back in the later rounds, I wanted Scarborough from Alabama.[/quote]

Agreed on Hughes. I was hoping they snagged a McKinnon type RB. I personally think O’Neill can start and will start at RT. I could be wrong but he’s an excellent pass protector. His strength could improve but he won’t face a ton of “power” on the right side. If he was a guard I would worry more. His athleticism is a plus and really helps against speed rushers. Don’t be surprised if he catches a Td this year as well
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I guess what I don’t understand is we’re questioning who’s backing up Linval but questioning the Hughes pick? I was A LOT more worried about who our 4th CB was vs who was backing up Joseph. If any of Rhodes, Waynes and/or Alexander were to go down, we would be plugging in Marcus Sherels and Joe Schmo as our starters. That is MUCH more concerning than backup NT. No less Alexander is a mystery and we have Waynes contract coming up.

Our #1 need last year by a long shot was OL. And we didn’t take Elflein until round 3 and Isidora in the 5th. This year we get O’Neill in the 2nd and Gossett in the 6th. But that’s mismanaged? OL was way more of a need last year than it was this year and we waited and it turned out for the better. This year we only wait 1 round and take an OL but it’s a bad pick? Problem is everyone was pegged that we needed OL round 1 and Hernandez was there. And since that wasn’t our pick, this draft automatically turns into a bad draft. Me personally, I think that’s pretty unfair. And it’s mainly because we passed on Hernandez as much as fans will try to say it’s not.
You don't need a first round pick as depth for your.... first round pick. We have NO ONE on this roster that's a NT. Richardson is a starter and while he may be good against the run, he can't play multiple positions at the same time. The fact that you need to mention him as a depth piece goes to show we have no depth. I'd like to see one analysis that indicated Johnson was even close to average against the run. There's plenty that says he was poor. So if Linval goes down, we basically have to change our entire scheme?

And OL wasn't our biggest need, it was guard specifically. And we didn't address it until pick 200+. That's absolutely ridiculous. Remmers struggled inside so now we either take that and put undrafted Hill on the outside or late round pick Isidora or Compton as starter. Our line will be comprised of essentially one 1st (Reiff) and a slew of undrafted/late round picks. To protect our $80M investment that's on the books for 3 years no matter what. How is this not sounding crazy?

Like I said, I'm not doubting Hughes' ability but he was a luxury we couldn't afford. Or probabally need. We needed to keep Kirk upright. That's why 90% of the mocks had us grabbing a guard. The Vikings basically came out and said they didn't expect the run on guard and took whoever was left at OL. They got burned.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I've been a pretty big supporter of Spielman and defend him often but he's not without his mistakes. The 2016 draft is shaping up to be a rather poor one especially if Treadwell can't turn things around. So it's not beyond the guy to misread things.