2018 NFL Draft Thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2018 NFL Draft Thread

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:I hate this pick. Hernandez was sitting right there and instead they took another CB, another player with off the field issues who needs experience too.

Sigh...
Yeah, it's a bummer. Maybe Rick trades up for Corbett a la Elflein. Hernandez will be long gone.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
@Eric_L_Smith

#UCF CB Mike Hughes in 2017:

Started 11 games with 49 tackles with 4 INTs, including one returned for a touchdown. Returned 14 punts for 233 yards and a touchdown; returned 20 kickoffs for 635 yards and two touchdowns; All-Conference First-Team (CB) and Second-Team (returner).
How is his pass protection and run blocking? I'm sorry but this #### is bananas. I'm pissed.
It's what, you say?

:banana:

Actually, I don't feel like dancing. I'm pissed too.
dead_poet wrote:Yeah, it's a bummer. Maybe Rick trades up for Corbett a la Elflein. Hernandez will be long gone.
I guess we'll see what the plan is... assuming there's a plan. ;)
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

I think this pick is okay. All the guys we really wanted were all gone. He may not have been a #1 round pick, but at #30 we are picking what's left over. We needed another corner at this point and he is not a terrible pick. It sounds like he's not one of those guys who is passive in pass coverage but will go after the ball. It also sounds he has good hands. So, not the best pick ever, but taking a look at what was left and when we pick next, I think this was a wise move given our needs and what was left.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Fair take:
@NicholasJOlson

Why I don't hate Mike Hughes:

• His passer rating allowed last year was 35.5, lower than if the QB just threw the ball into the ground every snap
• He's a perfect scheme fit--versatile
• Didn't give up a single TD last year
• Fills the biggest need after o-line
@NicholasJOlson

Why I don't love Mike Hughes:

• There are a lot of other good corners in this draft
• Character concerns
• Trading down was an option
• Kirk Cousins is going to die
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This would calm me/us down if it happened:
@christomasson
Wouldn't be surprised to see the #Vikings trade up in the second round tomorrow. Still some solid offensive lineman on the board such as Will Hernandez, James Daniels, Connor Williams.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

This pick took the wind right out of my sails. We could have even picked Anthony Miller, WR, who would have been a much better choice, and more of a need. And he is twice the WR that Hughes is a CB. It a little bit like a nightmare. Lamaur Jackson would have been a better pick.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:This pick took the wind right out of my sails. We could have even picked Anthony Miller, WR, who would have been a much better choice, and more of a need. And he is twice the WR that Hughes is a CB. It a little bit like a nightmare. Lamaur Jackson would have been a better pick.
In terms of pure BPA, Miller was considerably further down a lot of boards. Would be pretty cool to land Daniels or Corbett in R2 somehow. That'd help make this feel a lot better.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Betting this means they are moving on from Waynes. He's easily the guy you get rid of between Barr, Diggs, Hunter and Waynes. Be interested to see if they try to move him to try to get an OG here soon, or simply let him walk and take the compensatory pick.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:This pick took the wind right out of my sails. We could have even picked Anthony Miller, WR, who would have been a much better choice, and more of a need. And he is twice the WR that Hughes is a CB. It a little bit like a nightmare. Lamaur Jackson would have been a better pick.
In terms of pure BPA, Miller was considerably further down a lot of boards. Would be pretty cool to land Daniels or Corbett in R2 somehow. That'd help make this feel a lot better.
I think Rick would have to do a lot of trading to get a quality lineman like Hernandez. He was there waiting for Rick, cant believe they passed him for an athletic but shrimp of a CB.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

fiestavike wrote:Betting this means they are moving on from Waynes. He's easily the guy you get rid of between Barr, Diggs, Hunter and Waynes. Be interested to see if they try to move him to try to get an OG here soon, or simply let him walk and take the compensatory pick.
I hadnt thought of that. He would be really hard to replace with his run stopping skills, but this would save a lot of space. If we had went LB with first pick im betting a lot would have thought we are letting Barr go.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
fiestavike wrote:Betting this means they are moving on from Waynes. He's easily the guy you get rid of between Barr, Diggs, Hunter and Waynes. Be interested to see if they try to move him to try to get an OG here soon, or simply let him walk and take the compensatory pick.
I hadnt thought of that. He would be really hard to replace with his run stopping skills, but this would save a lot of space. If we had went LB with first pick im betting a lot would have thought we are letting Barr go.
Yeah, it feels like Barr is more rare of a talent/athlete and more of a cornerstone of Zimmer's defense than Waynes. If you have to pick between those two, it's a no-brainer. Even if Waynes could be turning into a solid corner. Having Hughes and Alexander gives you some good competition.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Yeah, it feels like Barr is more rare of a talent/athlete and more of a cornerstone of Zimmer's defense than Waynes. If you have to pick between those two, it's a no-brainer. Even if Waynes could be turning into a solid corner. Having Hughes and Alexander gives you some good competition.
I think Waynes has all the talent in the world, but not the right attitude or disposition to maximize it. I like him, but I think in the big moment he's not going to be reliable. This guy also brings return ability, which could shave another couple million off the cap in replacing Sherels. I don't dislike this pick, I'm just concerned about who is going to start at the G positions for the Vikings in 2018.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Posted a youtube mock from Brett Kollmann in the Vikings Talk forum. Thinking the same as you do. Plus he thinks Hughes would be a better fit in Zimmer's D.
Last edited by 808vikingsfan on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Per Rick, the Vikings fielded a number of calls 5-6 picks before their spot. No calls while on the clock though. Wynn went six picks before them. Other than Bryant, I'm not sure who they were standing pat to land. I wonder if Rick could do it again if he would've accepted one of those calls, depending on the offer.

I think we're all nervous at guard, though I expect Easton to start at LG. Hopefully we can get someone decent in R2.