Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Post by Funkytown »

Just saw this on Roto:
According to STATS Ice, Teddy Bridgewater's 11.9 percent "off-target" throw rate in 2013 was the best among this year's top-rated signal callers.

-Among Bridgewater's 427 attempts, he was charged with just seven underthrows, 12 "wide" throws, and 32 overthrows.

-Johnny Manziel had the worst "off target" rate at 14.9 percent.

-Zach Mettenberger's 12.2 percent came in second behind Bridgewater.

-Blake Bortles and Tajh Boyd tied for third at 12.6 percent.

Source: John Pollard Stats
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Dane Brugler (NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst) breaks down his top 5 QBs in this draft:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... ed-to-know
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:Dane Brugler (NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst) breaks down his top 5 QBs in this draft:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... ed-to-know

Thanks for posting that link. I think that's the best rundown of this years QB prospects that I've read yet. I get the sense that his assessments are objective, based on a lot of film watching, and demonstrate an awareness of what NFL front offices are saying/feeling about these prospects. I like that he considers such a wide array of factors and considers both what has teams interested and concerned about each player.

I couldn't help but laugh at this line on Manziel:
Manziel has a loose belt and uses his hip action well to add torque…
Should serve him well on the Love Boat Pt. 2! (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

In a more serious vein, I thought that his take on Manziel was especially solid and, like all of his takes, very measured.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:
Thanks for posting that link. I think that's the best rundown of this years QB prospects that I've read yet. I get the sense that his assessments are objective, based on a lot of film watching, and demonstrate an awareness of what NFL front offices are saying/feeling about these prospects. I like that he considers such a wide array of factors and considers both what has teams interested and concerned about each player.

I couldn't help but laugh at this line on Manziel:
Should serve him well on the Love Boat Pt. 2! (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

In a more serious vein, I thought that his take on Manziel was especially solid and, like all of his takes, very measured.
I agree and that line about Manziel cracked me up too. I've never seen a reference to a player having a "loose belt" before. Some of the lingo scouts and analysts use to describe players is pretty funny. I have to admit, they're resourceful!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Bucky Brooks re-ranks the QBs in the wake of their pro days:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ridgewater
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Thus, the results from pro days and private workouts can lead to a reshuffling of the rankings on draft boards across the league.
Only in the minds of the media.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Demi wrote: Only in the minds of the media.
I suppose scouts, head coaches and GMs spend a month running around attending these pro days, then bring players in from around the country for private closed-door workouts just so that they can draft the exact same players they would have if going only by film and scouting reports.

Only in your mind.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Eli wrote: I suppose scouts, head coaches and GMs spend a month running around attending these pro days, then bring players in from around the country for private closed-door workouts just so that they can draft the exact same players they would have if going only by film and scouting reports.

Only in your mind.
I suppose they watch 3-4 years of ACTUAL ON THE FIELD PLAY, scouting, research, then decide to take a pro day/combine/interview and ignore the rest of their career to rearrange their entire board because of what they did for one day a month before the draft in shorts and a tshirt. :roll:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I suspect the interviews and private workouts influence draft boards more the pro days but if a team has two players ranked very closely, it's certainly possible that this last part of the pre-draft evaluation process is what ends up separating them.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:RANKING THE TOP THREE QBS IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT:

BLAKE BORTLES: http://thesidelineview.com/columns/draf ... ke-bortles

TEDDY BRIDGEWATER: http://thesidelineview.com/columns/draf ... ridgewater

JOHNNY MANZIEL: http://thesidelineview.com/columns/draf ... ny-manziel

My ranking: 1. Manziel 2. Bortles 3. Bridgewater. I think any of them is worthy of #8. None of them is a sure thing, but they are promising prospects and we need to roll the dice.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I just don't get how one pro day can just erase three years of great QB play in the case of Teddy Bridgewater. This guy's stock is dropping quick. If we pass on him at eight (unless a guy like Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack is present) we will regret it. I am sorry, but there is nothing that convinces me that Teddy Bridgewater is NOT the best QB in this draft.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I just don't get how one pro day can just erase three years of great QB play in the case of Teddy Bridgewater. This guy's stock is dropping quick.

I don't think one pro day can do that. I don't know if his stock is actually dropping with NFL teams or just among reactionary draftniks but if it's happening with the former, that would suggest they saw something in his pro day that confirmed or reinforced concerns they already had. If it's just happening in the latter, it doesn't mean much.
If we pass on him at eight (unless a guy like Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack is present) we will regret it. I am sorry, but there is nothing that convinces me that Teddy Bridgewater is NOT the best QB in this draft.
You may be right. Frankly, after months of reading about these QBs, watching videos of them online, etc., there's nothing that convinces me any of them is definitively the best QB in this draft. Bridgewater has a lot going for him. Manziel was certainly an impressive, productive college player. I wouldn't be surprised if the best QB to come out of this class was one of those two but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Carr, McCarron, Bortles, etc. I just don't think there's a clear cut frontrunner in the bunch.