Camp Confidential: Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Camp Confidential: Vikings

Post by dead_poet »

A nice comprehensive look to-date. Well-done by Seifert

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -vikings-2
There is no shortage of interest about the conversion of quarterback Joe Webb to wide receiver, given his size and open-field running ability. I'll offer two observations here, one backed by Webb and the other by Jennings. First, Webb is in excellent condition but appeared to be laboring under the strain of how much running receivers do in a training camp practice. "It's a lot more running," Webb said. Eventually, he will get used to it. Second, Webb has excellent hands. Jennings: "One of the things I told him when I first saw him at the position is that I noticed he can catch the ball. That is the first hurdle. If you can't catch, you can't be taught. I'm sorry. If you can't catch, no one wants to take the time to do the rest of it. He has really strong hands."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Re: Camp Confidential: Vikings

Post by losperros »

If Webb can cut it as a WR, that's a big plus for the Vikings. Webb and Patterson would be two tall WRs that run well with the ball in their hands. That could be trouble for opposing defenses, especially if they're spending much of their time fretting about AD.

I also like this:
I was especially intrigued by the way Rhodes performed in the early days of camp. He has plenty to learn but is exceptionally strong at the line of scrimmage; he stopped a number of receivers from getting past the five-yard mark in their routes. Rhodes will have to be careful about contact beyond the point, but it has been a while since the Vikings had a cornerback who seems so well-equipped to play press coverage.
I was pleased when the Vikings drafted Rhodes. Hopefully, he'll develop into a first rate CB.
Last edited by losperros on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I also liked this bit about Wright:
While Jennings and Patterson adjusted to their new team, Wright was the most productive receiver during the practices I watched. At the moment, the Vikings have locked him into the slot position while Jennings and Simpson work on the outside. But Wright said: "I'm trying to prove I'm not just an inside guy. I want them to see I can play on the outside, too."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

And one thing I don't really get:
The Vikings have started veteran linebacker Desmond Bishop on the outside, and with the second team. But Frazier wouldn't rule out a shift inside at a later date. "We're starting him at outside position," Frazier said. "We think that will help him from a learning standpoint and then see where it goes from there. We would like for him to learn dual positions. It would be good for our team if he can. But for now, learn the basics of the defense."
It isn't like this is Bishop's first 4-3 team. He's played mostly 4-3 in his career. So why do coaches think he has so much to learn? The nuances of the Vikings specific 4-3 scheme? There's gotta be a reason they're so concerned about him learning and being behind, but I really can't identify what that is.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:I also liked this bit about Wright:
I hope the Vikings see Wright as someone who can play both slot and as a wide out. He did both well in college, so I'm thinking he can probably do it for the Vikings.

Once he was finally playing last season, it didn't take Wright long to show he could be a deep threat.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Wright had most of the deepest plays for the Vikings last year ..

We should have plenty of decent targets this for Ponder ...

I am hoping Burton and Armoshadou(SP) are both gone
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:And one thing I don't really get:
It isn't like this is Bishop's first 4-3 team. He's played mostly 4-3 in his career. So why do coaches think he has so much to learn? The nuances of the Vikings specific 4-3 scheme? There's gotta be a reason they're so concerned about him learning and being behind, but I really can't identify what that is.
Bishop hasn't played in a 4-3 defense in 4 years and if I recall correctly, GB wasn't running a variation on the Tampa 2 back then either. That scheme is different from a regular 4-3 defense so that may be what Frazier is talking about. The MLB position is the most demanding in the Vikings scheme and the will position allows the most freedom so that may also explain why they want him to learn that position first.

I'm still not convinced his best fit will be inside anyway. His role in the Packers 3-4 was more like the WLB's role in the Vikings scheme than the MLB's role.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: I hope the Vikings see Wright as someone who can play both slot and as a wide out. He did both well in college, so I'm thinking he can probably do it for the Vikings.

Once he was finally playing last season, it didn't take Wright long to show he could be a deep threat.
No, he did it in the first quarter of his first game!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:I am hoping Burton and Armoshadou(SP) are both gone
You already have half your wish fulfilled! Aromashodu is back with 'da Bears.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

You already have half your wish fulfilled! Aromashodu is back with 'da Bears.

good !!

Anyword on Ellison getting some reps ?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:Bishop hasn't played in a 4-3 defense in 4 years and if I recall correctly, GB wasn't running a variation on the Tampa 2 back then either. That scheme is different from a regular 4-3 defense so that may be what Frazier is talking about. The MLB position is the most demanding in the Vikings scheme and the will position allows the most freedom so that may also explain why they want him to learn that position first.

I'm still not convinced his best fit will be inside anyway. His role in the Packers 3-4 was more like the WLB's role in the Vikings scheme than the MLB's role.
Bishop talks about it at 1:36: http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... bdb69b0710

"My entire life I've played in the 4-3. I just recently switched to a 3-4 and everyone was asking how I'd adjust to a 3-4. It was pretty simple. I think switching back to the 4-3 won't be too hard."

The Tampa 2 must be the variation/wrinkle that the Vikings want to make absolutely sure he understands and are taking him along slowly (seems to be their style). From all accounts he's doing well, which is the positive takeaway.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:Any word on Ellison getting some reps ?
He's getting reps. Not sure how they're being split between TE and FB, though. His use will continue to be of interest to me. He seems to be an asset whenever he's on the field. We'll see how Carlson responds during the preseason but he may be on a short leash, despite his superior athleticism. From what we saw last year, Ellison's production (as a blocker and receiver) made him the superior option.
Last edited by dead_poet on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the link, although I really wish Siefert (and others) woudl stop making comments like this:
A reasonable expectation for 2013 is to even out his performance. Put more bluntly: Ponder can't ever be as bad as he was during those eight games of 2012.
Ponder had a bad stretch of games but he was not bad for an 8 game stretch last year. That's an exaggeration writers keep making because it conveniently allows them to bracket a mid-season stretch that contained quite a few poor performances with the 4 games at the beginning and the 4 games at the end of the season. In reality, Ponder's season was more uneven than that. It didn't break down so neatly.

I really liked Frazier's comments about the youth in the secondary and about the importance of continuity at the top.

Jim
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:The Tampa 2 must be the variation/wrinkle that the Vikings want to make absolutely sure he understands and are taking him along slowly (seems to be their style). From all accounts he's doing well, which is the positive takeaway.
If the learning the nuances of the Tampa 2 isn't the explanation than I'm not sure what it could be... :)
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The big thing Bishop brings to the table from the Will is his ability to get to the QB on the blitz. Henderson has never had that ability. This will be an excellent additional wrinkle to our defense's ability to pass rush assuming Bishop can make it happen in the other aspects of the position.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi