What a disappointment

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Re: What a disappointment

Post by Mercy Percy »

Reignman wrote:Ponder is the biggest wuss I've ever seen. You couldn't keep a guy like Favre out of a game like this with a team of clydesdales if he had something as simple as a bruised elbow. Sack up Ponder. Miss your first playoff game cuz your widdle elbow has a boo boo? Give me a break. I can't believe I'm complaining because Ponder didn't play. Man our standard for QB's around here has become painfully low.

I think we've seen the last of Joe Webb. Man that was beyond pathetic, embarrassing, and disappointing.
Really its his throwing arm? You want to see him make a 40 Yd pass without being able to throw it that far? Im sure he was dying not to be out there. Really you believe he wined and weasled his way out of playing a playoff game?! THAT IS WHAT PLAYERS DREAM FOR! It was in better judgement for the team knowing that your QB cant throw the ball 15+ yards because of an injury.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

You can't blame Ponder for sitting out a game with an elbow injury. He isn't all that accurate with a healthy elbow and he sure as hell can't be effective with an injured elbow. You can't throw a football with a bad elbow. It's not a matter of "toughness".
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I would love to see a qb in the first three rounds in April. Someone to push Ponder and at least a legit backup.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Cliff wrote:I would love to see a qb in the first three rounds in April. Someone to push Ponder and at least a legit backup.
Agreed, Tyler bray is who I'm hoping for
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

We need a real #1 Wide Receiver... and a real #2... a lot of those plays that we yelled at Ponder (and Webb) were partly due to our WR's not being able to scare anyone, let alone get open.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote:I would love to see a qb in the first three rounds in April. Someone to push Ponder and at least a legit backup.
As much as I HATE USC QB's, Barkley will probably be around. He's the most likely candidate for a Rodgers-type fall. I don't know that the Vikings would take a QB with their first pick, but it would probably be tempting. I like Landry Jones if he falls to the 3rd.
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

soflavike wrote:You can't blame Ponder for sitting out a game with an elbow injury. He isn't all that accurate with a healthy elbow and he sure as hell can't be effective with an injured elbow. You can't throw a football with a bad elbow. It's not a matter of "toughness".
If the elbow is just sore, or hurts then yes he could have played. If there is actual damage to the elbow (muscle, or bone) then I'd rather him sit. No reason to further aggravate an injury that could pose long term affects if you can help it.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

Plus it's not like it was a guy like Aaron Rodgers with the injury. Ponder had solid last 4 games, but it's different whether you're deciding to bench arguably the best QB in the NFL.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Purple Jesus wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't completely throw Webb under the bus. Yeah, he played poorly , but it was dudes first game of the whole season against an elite team. If he had a full season under his belt, I am sure it would've been a lot different. On the other hand, I did miss Ponder for once. I think he was hitting his stride in this offense. Only time will tell. Just got the off season to look forward to now. Hope we address our o-line and WR's and other holes that need some upgrade. And we get a full season of a 100% AP, maybe he'll get his 2500. I won't doubt him until he doesn't.
He made throws that no QB should make -- even a college QB shouldn't make them.

Webb -- this guy should not be on the roster as a QB. I will withhold judgment on Ponder's injury, but I don't think he's the Vikes long term solution as a starter. He's a legit backup caliber QB, but we need a real starter if we want to compete with the elite NFL teams.
vikerfan
Waterboy

Post by vikerfan »

Webb did better this game than Ponder did in 3/4 of the season!! If you're going to take 1 guy and give him a whole season to get better as a starter in the NFL, then Webb is the better pick over Ponder. Webb can flat out rifle the ball when he needs to. Ponder does not have a strong enough arm, end of story! That's why he rainbows the ball on long pass plays, because he can't throw the mortar round that Webb can. Webb is going to end up at another team and will become a starter because this league is short on guys who can throw a football like that.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

vikerfan wrote:Webb did better this game than Ponder did in 3/4 of the season!! If you're going to take 1 guy and give him a whole season to get better as a starter in the NFL, then Webb is the better pick over Ponder. Webb can flat out rifle the ball when he needs to. Ponder does not have a strong enough arm, end of story! That's why he rainbows the ball on long pass plays, because he can't throw the mortar round that Webb can. Webb is going to end up at another team and will become a starter because this league is short on guys who can throw a football like that.
Hey, Joe Webb's mom is on this board!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

vikerfan wrote:Webb did better this game than Ponder did in 3/4 of the season!! If you're going to take 1 guy and give him a whole season to get better as a starter in the NFL, then Webb is the better pick over Ponder. Webb can flat out rifle the ball when he needs to. Ponder does not have a strong enough arm, end of story! That's why he rainbows the ball on long pass plays, because he can't throw the mortar round that Webb can. Webb is going to end up at another team and will become a starter because this league is short on guys who can throw a football like that.
And yet those throws were not within five yards of their target. Power is fine, but is NOTHING without basic accuracy. And he was dancing around like a ballerina back there. And, as with Ponder, I saw WRs that were open enough for a QB with some zip on the ball to get the passes on there.

I just pray this finally puts to sleep all the talk about Webb being a QB.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

saint33 wrote: Maybe if he put the ball within 5 yards of his targets, you could give him some slack. Whether or not he throws a pass all year, you have to expect more than what he gave us from an nfl qb. If he's on the team as a qb next year, our coaches need thier heads checked
Those are the same throws Pondered missed throughout the years...by 5 yards.

He had a jump pass...just like Ponder!

He had two gimpy getting sacked throwaways...just like Ponder loves!

I wonder if we coach this stuff?

Should have kept Sage. :twisted:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Isnt this the same crap ponder has had for years, even in college? Is the no fix for it? BTW who did have the final say on wether or not he plays? Fraizer Musgrave or Ponder? Playoff games with AD may not come along very often anymore?
Arma
Starter

Post by Arma »

Ponder said the lobs he made in workout were the hardest he could throw the ball. If that's true it really wasn't even close. #Vikings
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status ... 6034581505

I love when people make up things and state them as facts Mr. Op.
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--