Favorite Ponder Throw vs. Packers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Favorite Ponder Throw vs. Packers

Post by Texas Vike »

I think missing AD by a ton was the perfect illustration of why he will NEVER make it at this level.

He had time to get set. His receiver had the defender beat by a mile, and he just under threw that ball by a mile.

That terrible rainbow to Gerhart, when a solid throw would have been a completion.

we got lucky the helmet to helmet hit happened. I'm sure Toby was pleased that Ponder threw another INT on the ensuing play, rendering his "taking one for the team" worthless.

Other favorite throws today?
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Favorite Ponder Throw vs. Packers

Post by Eli »

Wasn't he being hit while he made the throw to Peterson? Or maybe that was another play.

How about two of his first five completions (the only five he would have until late in the 4th quarter) being so far behind Kyle Rudolph that it required him to make incredible circus catches?

Aikman was on it the whole game - Ponder had zero pocket awareness. He was moving and throwing off balance the entire game.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eli wrote:Wasn't he being hit while he made the throw to Peterson? Or maybe that was another play.
He was moving around but was never hit. I think the throw where he was hit was when Charlie Johnson broke down in protection, that pass I can't recall who it was thrown to.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

My favorite was the interception in the endzone. :lol:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

GBFavreFan wrote: yeah, the pass before Rudolph's TD, where Rudolph had a clear and open path to the endzone, but Ponder's pass was so wobbly, behind, and to the wrong side of Kyle's body, it took him 5 minutes just to regain his balance which gave the Packers enough time to run to that side of the field to tackle him. See people will overlook that sort of crap because we ended up scoring, but what if we didn't? Chances don't come THAT often to score in the NFL and if we wide open looks we need a QB who can execute with some conviction and authority or we are toast.
Very nice choice. That was yet another throw illustrating Ponder's incompetence. Wrong throw, even though he completed it.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Infinity wrote:My favorite was the interception in the endzone. :lol:
Yes, he showed incredible touch in lofting up there for the Green Bay defender to catch it cleanly. A great throw.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote: He was moving around but was never hit. I think the throw where he was hit was when Charlie Johnson broke down in protection, that pass I can't recall who it was thrown to.
He was not touched on the throw to AD.

The one you're thinking of was to Simpson, where Charlie Johnson let someone through.

The AD pass is a perfect example of P's not having "it" because you can't blame it on the OL or WR. It is all on him. He just can't make a deep throw. Not even close.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

soflavike wrote: Yes, he showed incredible touch in lofting up there for the Green Bay defender to catch it cleanly. A great throw.
I know, right? He throws like he's still in high school!!!
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

i like the one where he realised he had the ball and you could see a big brown stain appear on his tights.

Surely thats it now?

Defence to their credit, kept the supposed best QB in the league down to 23 points
AD show's that he could quite possibly be the greatest, and the most wasted
The 2 int's were horrible throws, whats worse, they were pretty much unforced.

I like the kids character, but enough's enough.

Mariota in next in couple of years, until then we have to find a fill in to make use of our top players in there best years. Because i cant see anyone worth taking out of next years class unless we trade up, even then, there probably not worth wasting the player/picks.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

That's what happens when you have a noodle arm. You try to adapt to it and throw silly rainbows and put too much air on it.

I have to go with TD in end zone as well. AD rips off that huge run. We're guaranteed points, and he tries to force it. :lol:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

All of Ponder's problems lie between his ears, from his eagerness to move out of the pocket to his reads on the fields to the timing and placement of his throws.

What Frazier doesn't want to accept is that this type of flaw in a QB cannot be fixed.

But this doesn't surprise me, because Frazier did the same thing with McNabb last year when it was obvious he wasn't cutting it either. He picks and sticks no matter what. Great if you're into blind loyalty. Not so great if you want competence out of a position.

In the end, though, this will all come back to roost on Frazier's door. The day Frazier will be canned is the day when Frazier is alone defending his choices, and that day is coming soon if this continues. I'm sure when the season started Frazier and Spielman agreed that Ponder was their starter and they would weather the ups and downs. However, as the season has gone on the ups are becoming few and far between, while the downs are an almost weekly occurrence now.

One would thing that would help extend Frazier's credibility to the end of this season would be for him to help the rest of us understand the logic behind his steadfast commitment to Sub-100. What is the rationale there? What is he looking for out of Sub and where does he draw the line if things don't improve? I think the scariest thing of all is the thought that Frazier and Spielman will not at any point abandon the Sub-100 Project no matter what he does or fails to do on the field. Of course, Frazier has his 3-win improvement already tucked under his belt, so he can somewhat get away with this approach. If the Vikes were sitting at 3 or 4 wins, it would be harder for him to do that, but with 6 it sure looks like they are "improved" over last year.

What a waste of a possible once-in-a-lifetime performance from AD. He has a shot at a 2,000 yard season and most people can pee farther than Ponder's average attempt. What a shame.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

In the end, though, this will all come back to roost on Frazier's door. The day Frazier will be canned is the day when Frazier is alone defending his choices, and that day is coming soon if this continues.
I think it's just as much if not more so on Spielman. he made the pick. He sets the 53 man roster. He gave Frazier no option on the roster if Ponder did fail. He cut the only veteran on the team. And he continues to defend him as well.

This entire front office and coaching staff needs to go. And Zygi needs to hire a GM and give him ALL hiring power.

This mess goes straight to the top. And getting rid of Ponder will help in the short term. But the team isn't going to be in any relevant position until Zygi realizes he's completely out of his element.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

This is from ESPN's recap of the game:

Christian Ponder had a season-low 3.1 Total QBR in Sunday's loss against the Packers. Ponder has posted a QBR under 20.0 in 5 of his last 6 games after having no such games in the 1st 6 weeks of the season.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321202009
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Texas Vike wrote:This is from ESPN's recap of the game:

Christian Ponder had a season-low 3.1 Total QBR in Sunday's loss against the Packers. Ponder has posted a QBR under 20.0 in 5 of his last 6 games after having no such games in the 1st 6 weeks of the season.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321202009
From the same report:

The Vikings passing game really struggled to produce outside the numbers, particularly when Christian Ponder targeted wide receivers. Ponder finished 1-of-10 for 7 yards targeting wide receivers outside the numbers, with an interception and three passes defended. It was the first time this season Ponder hasn't completed at least three passes to wide receivers outside the numbers, posting season lows in yards per attempt and completion percentage.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: From the 2nd he broke the pocket I was screaming "THROW IT AWAY!!!!!!" instead he forced an awful Favre like NFCCG throw to Michael freakin Jenkins.

What concerns me most is that Musgrave has created a system that artificially inflates Ponder's completion percentages and other numbers. Any time Ponder tries to do anything other than a short pass to Percy or Rudolph he is prone to making huge mistakes.

He just can't make NFL throws. The coaches can only protect him and hide his inabilities for so long.