Vikes/49ers Post-game thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Vikes/49ers Post-game thoughts

Post by Demi »

Good Ponder looked better in that first half than I ever thought he could...and then Bad Ponder showed up again and he tries to throw a TD to Donte Whitner. Gaaaah! Almost pulled my hair out. Definitely coming along though which is great to see, deceptively fast too! ;)

AD looks nothing like his old self. Tentative, didn't even try to cut to the outside even when there was clearly room there. Is it still a mental thing? Physical?

Loved the way they used those fake end arounds more this week, don't know what the 49ers were thinking on the way they were defending the field and just giving up on the underneath stuff quite a bit.

And a corner finally caught a ball, even if it was thrown directly at him! Hallelujah! :beerock:

Great win, now let's hope they can just keep it up next week on the road!
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

Demi wrote:Is it still a mental thing? Physical?
A little of both. An injury of that degree will its mark on you mentally and physically.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

FailedtoOpen wrote: A little of both. An injury of that degree will its mark on you mentally and physically.
Not to mention he was going up against a very stout run defense that has typically held him in check for most of his career. I think he's had some of his worst games vs. the 49ers. So to bust off 80+ 9 months after knee reconstruction...I'm more than pleased with what I saw.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Here is something I can legitimately type: For whatever reason, Smith wasn't targeting Brinkley. Oh wait, I know the reason: Brinkley had a fine game.

It still feels weird to type that, like "Troy Williamson caught the ball."
Last edited by Hunter Morrow on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Chad Greenway had two sacks Sunday to move him into seventh place for most career sacks by a Vikings linebacker. The last time a Vikings linebacker had two sacks in a game was Ed McDanield against San Francisco on Oct. 24, 1999.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Note ... 9ers092312
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Here is something I can legitimately type: For whatever reason, Smith wasn't targeting Brinkley. Oh wait, I know the reason: Brinkley had a fine game.

It still feels weird to type that, like "Troy Williamson caught the ball."
:point: I like that a whole lot :!:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Told you guys! :D
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Randy Moss was spotted sulking at the end of the bench away from his teammates during a fourth quarter in which he was benched. Can we officially acknowledge that Moss is no longer relevant?
Yes. If what you state is accurate as I did not see it, then he is done. If Harbaugh is wise, he will quietly part ways with him. No room for crybabies.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

thatguy wrote:Told you guys! :D
You certainly did and I enjoy your optimism :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

CalVike wrote: Yes. If what you state is accurate as I did not see it, then he is done. If Harbaugh is wise, he will quietly part ways with him. No room for crybabies.
I agree. Is there a source of some kind for that info?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

I'd bet the victory started in the locker room, and how the players probably heard/read they had no chance. The confidence translated to the field, and an aggressive game plan. Anything is possible, even it seems improbable. I/we should never be satisfied with a mediocre season in the win/loss column, no matter if the Vikes are supposed to be mediocre due to rebuilding. Rebuild and win! Why not, it's a long season. The confidence should help with the next game!

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote: Not to mention he was going up against a very stout run defense that has typically held him in check for most of his career. I think he's had some of his worst games vs. the 49ers. So to bust off 80+ 9 months after knee reconstruction...I'm more than pleased with what I saw.
Absolutely! I couldn't agree more. Considering this was the Niners D, I thought AD looked very good today.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

MAN what a game to be at. This would have been the best game I have ever attended at the Metrodome had I not been at the 2009 49ers game. Greg Lewis literally caught the game winning touchdown in front of me.

Anyway, even though the Dome had plenty of empty seats it was rocking today. I really don't have too much to say other than I have no voice (as usual after a visit to the Metrodome) and I loved seeing Randy Moss play. I definitely got the best of both worlds today.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:This was a great win and I genuinely hope some of the fans who were so down on the team, head coach, OC, quarterback, etc. feel encouraged by it. The posts this week grew awfully cynical, from predictions that the Vikings offense wouldn't even cross the 50 yard line to predictions that they would be blown out by 30+ points and even a declaration that they wouldn't win another game this year. The Vikes are a young team and this win doesn't mean they'll instantly become a consistent team or a playoff contender but it should show that this coaching staff can actually coach, that the defensive philosophy can work, that Ponder can be a good leader and a legitimate starting QB, etc. It was just one game and one game doesn't solve all of a team's problems or definitively prove anything but hopefully, most Vikings fans are finding this win exciting and encouraging.

It wasn't a perfect win but the defense came up big time and time again and they forced some much-needed turnovers. The offense came out and opened the game with a great drive and Frazier showed guts by taking a chance on 4th down so the Vikes could come away with a TD. I give Musgrave credit for calling a good game, sticking with the run even though the Vikes weren't getting big plays out of it and not being afraid to let ponder do more.

Ponder had an excellent game and once again, took care of the ball, playing smart, efficient football. I definitely think he's made strides as a QB since last season.

The less said about the replacement officials, the better.

There were some disappointments in the game: Raymond's injury, the special teams allowing two long kick returns and the normally reliable Gerhart fumbling but there was so much more to be positive about that I want to focus on that. The Vikes seriously reduced the number of penalties they were committing. That was great news and an aspect of the win that shouldn't be overlooked. They blocked a FG. Walsh remained strong and reliable, Allen finally registered a sack and best of all... the Vikings are 2-1 after 3 games and tied for first place in the division!

I'd give the game ball on offense to Ponder. He played a very good game.

I think Greenway deserves a game ball on defense. He was a real force today.

Kudos to Frazier and his staff for a great game plan.

Now I want to see the Vikes go into Detroit and win their first divisional game of the season! :govikes:

I agree with all of your above assessments, especially about Ponder and Greenway. Harvin was typically brilliant, too.

However, Jim, there is one thing that I really think needs to be added. It shocks me to say this but I feel our DBs played pretty darn well.

In particular Winfield was a tackling machine again, not to mention his coverage looked good. I might be biased because I'm a big Winfield fan but I thought he looked like he was 25 years old, not 35!

And I was delighted to see rookie Josh Robinson make the pick near the end of the game. Talk about a deflating INT for the Niners.

I asked only for progress from this year's Vikings team. If this game is any indication, we're definitely looking at a promising rebuilding job.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Demi wrote:Good Ponder looked better in that first half than I ever thought he could...and then Bad Ponder showed up again and he tries to throw a TD to Donte Whitner. Gaaaah! Almost pulled my hair out. Definitely coming along though which is great to see, deceptively fast too! ;)
Yeah, well, "Bad" Ponder was greatly helped by Clumsy Jenkins falling down just before the ball arrived. Watch the play again. If Jenkins wasn't a clod-hopper, there would be no reason for you to pull your hair out.