Vikings VS 49ers Predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings VS 49ers Predictions

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote: I hope the two of you are correct, and I'll be watching the game (regardless of how painful it might be) but I just see the 49ers as a "significant upgrade" over the two teams we played to "draws," essentially (with one game needing overtime to win, and the other losing in the final seconds).
Oh, they are a significant upgrade. There's no reason to doubt that.
We are at home, but we were against Jacksonville, too. The Vikes are at home so that is the only sliver of optimism I can muster in this game. I'd happily come in here after the game and "eat crow" on my predicition if the Vikes pull off the upset :smilevike: :v):
The upset is pretty unlikely, I'm just not willing to rule it out. :) I wish I could watch the game live. I may listen via NFL.com but I won't be able to watch it until tomorrow.

My theory is IF the Vikings can eliminate the defensive breakdowns they've been making in the two minutes of each half, reduce the number of penalties they're committing and do a better job of protecting Ponder, that will give them a genuine chance. They'll need more than that to win, of course, but if they do those 3 things, I think they're capable of keeping the game close. To actually pull off the upset, they'll probably need to get enough out of their running game to keep the offense from becoming one-dimensional, win the turnover battle (or at least end it in a 0-0 tie), get more out of their receivers (including Carlson), and of course, stop the 49ers. When the defense gets SF in third down situations, they need to stop them. They can't let SF extend drives and chew up too much clock.

It sounds easy, eh?

There's been talk of Peterson getting a heavier workload this week but I'd actually like to see Gerhart more involved too, particularly in the passing game, where I think he actually posses a genuine matchup problem for most defenses.

This one is a tall order...

Edit: It occurred to me that all of that can basically summed up as: they have to play better. :lol:
Last edited by Mothman on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I am worried about Vernon Davis. Just had a 100+ yarder, 3 touchdown game. He's PRECISELY the sort of player that drives us up the wall. The Vikings gave up a touch down to a tight end in their last 2 games this season and the streak goes back to the regular season, I believe.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

If you look at their offense to our D, and our conservative high completion rate for the 1 yard throws, there is no way the 49ers win by less then 30 points. Oh and their coaches staff vrs ours....
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Hunter Morrow wrote:I am worried about Vernon Davis. Just had a 100+ yarder, 3 touchdown game. He's PRECISELY the sort of player that drives us up the wall. The Vikings gave up a touch down to a tight end in their last 2 games this season and the streak goes back to the regular season, I believe.
Davis worries me and so does Crabtree. He's off to a strong start!
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Vikes-31 49ers-27 :smilevike:
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:If you look at their offense to our D, and our conservative high completion rate for the 1 yard throws, there is no way the 49ers win by less then 30 points. Oh and their coaches staff vrs ours....
So you're saying that if Frazier loses by 20 points or less, He will have 'confirmed' his coaching ability and we should offer him a contract extension, then... :wink:

I don't think it will be that bad. I'm looking at around 17-20 point loss. :D Which makes me look like an 'optimist' after your prediction :lol:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote: The upset is pretty unlikely, I'm just not willing to rule it out. :) I wish I could watch the game live. I may listen via NFL.com but I won't be able to watch it until tomorrow.
I got the Sunday Ticket again this year (I had it for years and then stopped getting it when the price point his just south of 'Ridiculous'). One of my mental games is finding out how much 'value' there is in the subscription. This will be the second game (Indy/Vikings - was televised locally) that the Ticket will allow me to see. $99.50 a game so far. Hopefully I get somewhere around $20 per game towards the end of the season.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

My brain says 31-13 49ers. I hope it's a lot closer than that.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:I got the Sunday Ticket again this year (I had it for years and then stopped getting it when the price point his just south of 'Ridiculous'). One of my mental games is finding out how much 'value' there is in the subscription. This will be the second game (Indy/Vikings - was televised locally) that the Ticket will allow me to see. $99.50 a game so far. Hopefully I get somewhere around $20 per game towards the end of the season.
I suspect it will work out well for you since I doubt too many Vikings games will be broadcast outside the local markets this year.

Do you use the ticket to watch other NFL games that wouldn't normally be shown in your area?
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Didn't see it posted already:
Wright is inactive again, so we won't see him in this game.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Rook ... ings092312
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote: I suspect it will work out well for you since I doubt too many Vikings games will be broadcast outside the local markets this year.

Do you use the ticket to watch other NFL games that wouldn't normally be shown in your area?
Sometimes. My main focus is really the Vikings, but I actually watch other games too (I guess I feel I am getting my "money's worth" better that way.) I can see how Peyton Manning is playing and flip over to see how Childress is coaching, etc. etc. It's the ultimate gift for ADD! :lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:Sometimes. My main focus is really the Vikings, but I actually watch other games too (I guess I feel I am getting my "money's worth" better that way.)
i think I'd do it just to feel like I was getting my money's worth!
I can see how Peyton Manning is playing and flip over to see how Childress is coaching, etc. etc. It's the ultimate gift for ADD! :lol:
Ha! I feel the same way about NFL RedZone.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Texas Vike wrote: If only I were a betting man... I'd take your money gladly!

SF 31
MN 3

WOW.

I am GLAD to eat crow this week!

And these replacement refs put the win in jeopardy... that would have been typical Viking luck. Thank goodness Allen got his first sack of the year right when it mattered most. Unbelievable win. Props to those of you who called it and had faith in the Vikes.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

titans are playing like the vikings have been.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Well, hope you guys like your crow, predicting horrible losses for your team, tsk tsk.