Vikings VS 49ers Predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Delaqure
Franchise Player

Re: Vikings VS 49ers Predictions

Post by Delaqure »

We won't be able to run or throw consistently against this defense. We can stop them from scoring willy-nilly.
Forty Niners 24
Vikings 9
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

Best thing about this game is I can actually watch the game on TV. Worst part is that the 49'ers are probably the best team in the NFC right now.
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

NFL suspends 49ers’ Clark Haggans three games for drunk driving
Good news or vikings.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

John_Viveiros wrote:The first subject I'd like to discuss is the relative strength of the 49ers. First of all, let's go back and consider 2011. They finished 13-3, and were the second seed in the NFC. They went 5-1 in the generally-considered-weak NFC West (no other team over .500). Their signature wins were a 6 point victory at 10-6 Detroit, a 7 point victory at home against the 9-7 Giants, and a 17 point victory at home against the 12-4 Steelers (4 turnovers to zero defined that game). They lost by 10 at Baltimore (12-4), lost by 2 at Arizona (8-8), and lost by 3 at home against Dallas (8-8). They beat New Orleans by 4 at home in the playoffs, before losing by 3 to the Giants. They had three blowout wins total (more than two scores is how I define it). So while we saw them as a good to very good team, it's not clear they were elite in the way that I think of it. They were able to pull out a lot of close games, where they generally had a huge turnover advantage. It has generally not been the path to a superbowl.

So moving on to this year. They beat the Packers in Green Bay by a TD (and a 2 point conversion), and the Lions at home by a TD (and a 2 point conversion). How good are the Packers? We just don't know. They certainly look like a mediocre team, although the run of 21 straight has to be taken into account. And how good are the Lions, who were really pretty lucky to win their first game against the Rams? It certainly seems like both teams that the 49ers beat are "good", but it would not be surprising to find that both could be at the beginning of an off year. We just don't know.

So I'm just not on the bandwagon yet for SF being the best team in the league. I think they manage games well, but a strong game by a motivated team would seem to be able to beat them.

I think the Vikings will be a motivated team, but I'm afraid they just won't be strong enough. I see a nice, Pyrrhic victory here. The Vikes keep the game close, but in the end something like a missed FG leaves them down 6 points, and they need a TD at the end of the game, and they have the ball with the chance to drive for a TD, but someone drops a critical pass and SF kneels down for a win anyway. The Vikes play tougher than people expect (like last years GB game, or both Detroit games, etc.) but don't have what it takes in the end to win.

23-17 loss.

Bonus prediction: Some holding call against Jared Allen goes uncalled, and he throws his helmet and gets ejected, and we all blame the replacement refs for that and other bad calls. We admit that the Vikes were outplayed, but the momentum swing with the bad call was "just huge".
Solid post!

I still think the 9ers will beat us by at least 10 points, but you've presented a cogent argument and substantiated it with solid stats.

Say the Vikes win... what's the over/under on Frazier slapping Harbough's back in an inappropriate/ bullying kind of way?
60niners
Practice Squad

Post by 60niners »

Valhalla wrote: SIngletary may not have the makings of being a head coach but he was a defensive great still. He might do okay to coach in that aspect.
Just my opinion of course, but I believe Singletary is a fine position coach. He was on the Ravens staff and I'm sure he had some influence on Ray Lewis; he also had a huge hand in the development of Patrick Willis.

Here's to a well-fought, injury-free game this Sunday gents!
60niners
Practice Squad

Post by 60niners »

Texas Vike wrote:Say the Vikes win... what's the over/under on Frazier slapping Harbough's back in an inappropriate/ bullying kind of way?
Won't happen. Harbaugh and Frazier have a very good relationship with each other.
UltraNasty850
Backup

Post by UltraNasty850 »

If you go back and look at the great teams over the last few years, you will notice they all have an upset loss to a team that is "clearly" worse. Vikings are 2-0 against the niners since Willis and Peterson were drafted.

With all the hype of Jared needing sacks and Percy needing a TD or 2, I can't imagine this game being a blowout. Regardless of who is the winner in this contest, it will be a close game. An early season game at MOA field is not an easy win for anyone playing against the Vikes. The vikes fans are still optimistic due to how early it is in the season and our 1-1 record. The players have to know that THIS IS THE GAME to come out and play their best football.

Niners obviously have a better shot at winning, but it wont be as easy as it seems.
Twitter - @Andy_FA_

Bleed Purple
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

Half full guys, always half full.

Vikings are pretty good at home. SF is bound for an upset one of these weeks. I think they overlook the Vikings this week and we sneak one by at the end. Defense secondary finally comes up with a pick at a crucial time.

Vikings 17 (1TD, 1FG, 1 Defensive TD)
Niners 16 (3 FG and a TD)
ninermedic
Waterboy

Post by ninermedic »

petev_sj wrote:Half full guys, always half full.

Vikings are pretty good at home. SF is bound for an upset one of these weeks. I think they overlook the Vikings this week and we sneak one by at the end. Defense secondary finally comes up with a pick at a crucial time.

Vikings 17 (1TD, 1FG, 1 Defensive TD)
Niners 16 (3 FG and a TD)
Hey guys, 49ers fan here. Over at http://www.49erswebzone.com we saw some of your pregame postings so I thought I'd stop in and chat the game a bit. I know it always stings after a loss, and especially a close one, and given the 49ers recent history it was very easy to relate to how you guys are feeling. So I wanted to say, first of all, be like poster up there and keep your chin up. Do I agree with his prediction? Of course not (obviously) but you never know when it comes to a game of football, and personally I hope that the Niners are not taking this game lightly at all. And take it from me, things eventually get better--you have many pieces in place for a good team, whether under this head coach...or the next :wink:

If you guys have questions about the team or how SF fans see it, I'd be happy to answer questions.

Here's to a great and competitive game on Sunday!
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

ninermedic wrote: If you guys have questions about the team or how SF fans see it, I'd be happy to answer questions.

Here's to a great and competitive game on Sunday!
How do 49ers fans feel when moss makes a catch and goes to fetal position? I cringe a little and pretend that he just must have slipped.
ninermedic
Waterboy

Post by ninermedic »

Crax wrote: How do 49ers fans feel when moss makes a catch and goes to fetal position? I cringe a little and pretend that he just must have slipped.
lol. There's a bit of debate on that one. We aren't taking it as a lack of enthusiasm or effort...yet...best I can say is it's seen as a necessary evil for a 36-year-old receiver to avoid the big hit and stay healthy once he's past the first down marker. Maybe he's being saved for down the stretch, i.e. playoffs etc (although that would seem to violate the "one-game-at-a-time" mantra so take that for what it's worth).

I would have to say we would definitely like to see him more involved in the passing game, especially downfield, than we have so far.
Marmatag49ers
Waterboy

Post by Marmatag49ers »

Crax wrote: How do 49ers fans feel when moss makes a catch and goes to fetal position? I cringe a little and pretend that he just must have slipped.
I love it. He's got the first down. Fighting for an extra yard or 2 isn't necessary in the cases where he's done that. Also, with a few defenders around, he could get stripped.

Our offense protects the ball. That's why we win the turnover battle week in and week out.

Now, if he does that on the 1 yard-line? Not happy.

On to another point: Singletary is a horrible, horrible coach. In every way imaginable. He argued AGAINST the drafting of Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman. These 2 guys are the best ILBs in the game right now, and it's all in spite of Singletary. And he PLAYED & COACHED that position.
You guys will be better off without him on your staff and i'm being 100% serious.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Vikes 30 - 49ers 27

We get a sack fumble returned for TD and a harvin kickoff return for TD, a rudolph TD and 3 field goals!
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I'm starting Walsh so I'd be totally okay with that one.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Relax guys. We got this one. I just ran some scientific simulations of the game (on the XBox) and the Vikings win it 52 - 9. Ponder threw for 5 TDs (only 3 INTs) and Peterson rushed for 269 yards. Our defense came up with 6 interceptions and held the Niners to 14% 3rd down conversons. Gore was held to 26 yards of rushing. This will be easy....

....What?! :shock:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!