Packer Post Game Postings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Packer Post Game Postings

Post by CharVike »

halfgiz wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:08 am Cousins 0-9 on MNF, QBR of 58.8... Who's fault is that?
That whole game we refused to do anything to keep 55 Smith from wrecking havoc.
Is that on Zimmer as head coach...or is it on Stef?
If the Bears decide to play wait until you see that pass rush. We have struggle against them offensively because they dominate the LOS. We don't have the talent to block these dominate pass rushers. Very few teams do. We all seen Reif abused by 55 and he'll abuse him again. Much better talent. We seen our guy Hunter abuse OL but like 55 he's a hell of a player. I don't know the answer to stopping these guys. To stop our guy they need to put 3 or 4 bodies on him. Then what will work? Nothing. The answer on this board is throw quick short passes. Sounds easy. Like the other team will allow us to keep completing these over and over and over until we score. Eventually they will say no more of this BS and you'll see 11 bodies at the LOS and it will end. Then what? It's over. Bottom line bring an unbelievable pass rush and you'll D will be dominate. I've seen it over and over. This Bear game is our bye week. Rest the team up. Let them catch their breath for the next stretch.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

CharVike wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:56 am
halfgiz wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:08 am Cousins 0-9 on MNF, QBR of 58.8... Who's fault is that?
If the Bears decide to play wait until you see that pass rush. We have struggle against them offensively because they dominate the LOS. We don't have the talent to block these dominate pass rushers. Very few teams do. We all seen Reif abused by 55 and he'll abuse him again. Much better talent. We seen our guy Hunter abuse OL but like 55 he's a hell of a player. I don't know the answer to stopping these guys. To stop our guy they need to put 3 or 4 bodies on him. Then what will work? Nothing. The answer on this board is throw quick short passes. Sounds easy. Like the other team will allow us to keep completing these over and over and over until we score. Eventually they will say no more of this BS and you'll see 11 bodies at the LOS and it will end. Then what? It's over. Bottom line bring an unbelievable pass rush and you'll D will be dominate. I've seen it over and over. This Bear game is our bye week. Rest the team up. Let them catch their breath for the next stretch.
Or we can do what Seattle did and run 6 olinemen. This way the two DTs are always doubled teamed and you can double and help elsewhere. This also helps you run the ball. However, we have no imagination
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:54 am
Cliff wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:33 pm You really don't think one of the best RBs in the league starting on a run first team wouldn't have mattered? Not even on the short field situations the Vikings couldn't convert without him? We'll just have to disagree.
No, I don't, not when the offensive line is playing that poorly, and not when said best running back in the league hasn't been playing like one of the best running backs in the league for over a month.
I just re-watched the condensed version of the game and it was a bit surprising. There were runs of 3 yards that Cook would have turned into first downs, losses of 2 that Cook picks up yardage on. I thought it was all the line like you on those run plays, it wasn't.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:47 am

No, I don't, not when the offensive line is playing that poorly, and not when said best running back in the league hasn't been playing like one of the best running backs in the league for over a month.
I just re-watched the condensed version of the game and it was a bit surprising. There were runs of 3 yards that Cook would have turned into first downs, losses of 2 that Cook picks up yardage on. I thought it was all the line like you on those run plays, it wasn't.
I just remember watching the replays of Packer linemen brushing aside Vikings linemen like they were blocking dummies. It looked like the Packer guys took 3 steps for every step the Vikings guys took.

The potential for a heroic performance from a RB aside (be that Cook or Mattison), I'd be hard-pressed to believe that the Vikings offensive linemen performed anywhere near well enough to have put the offense into a position to win that game running or passing.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:20 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:56 am
Or we can do what Seattle did and run 6 olinemen. This way the two DTs are always doubled teamed and you can double and help elsewhere. This also helps you run the ball. However, we have no imagination
I won't argue that.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:05 am
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:37 pm
It absolutely is not included. That would be time to sack. QB scrambles are also not included, neither are handoffs. Because it is time to THROW.

So if Cousins can’t even set up at the top of his drop, scrambles for 3 seconds and throws the ball away without being sacked, this stat says he had 3+ seconds to throw. Is that really good O-line play?

I think that’s the problem with that stat. A quarterback is typically less successful the longer he holds the ball. That’s why Brady and Brees are so successful. They get rid of the ball. Their teams are always going to rank low in that stat.

Our O-line was terrible Monday. It’s by far the biggest reason we lost.
I don't watch Brady much but caught some of his last game. You act like all he does is a couple steps and 3 yard dinks all day. Or he never holds the ball too long. That's not what I saw. I saw a guy stand there surveying the field looking for a guy. Even he couldn't believe no player was around him and eventually dumped it off because no one was open or he was expecting to get plastered. That's not dumping it off quick. He also displayed a dam good arm. He might play forever. Also when Brady had Moss for that year he threw a #### load of TDs he wasn't dumping it off to Moss in a split second. He stood there waiting for him to make his break deep. Watch the highlights. It wasn't quick dump offs. Moss wasn't that type of a WR. He was a game breaker looking for the deep strike. That stat is the biggest BS one ever. Brady don't get sacked much because his OL can block. Nothing to do with his dump offs. Mentioning Brees and Brady together isn't fair either. Brees has one Super Bowl I think. He's played forever. Last I seen Brees play us was in the playoffs and he chocked the game away against a stiff secondary. Brady don't do that.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:47 am

We were playing a 3rd string RB. He's garbage. We could pick a guy off the street right now. Same difference. It would be like playing a 3rd string QB. Would you expect much from that?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Wow that's shockingly bad. Either he's the most unlucky QB in the NFL or he definitely struggles in primetime.

I don't put the majority of the blame on him for this one but 0-9? I mean it gets really hard to ignore after a while....
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

The pass protection was terrible, but you cant overlook that kirk responds to that pressure terribly.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Saw a lot of comments on social media about Cousins missing open receivers, especially Thielen. Came across this:

Link to video: https://mobile.twitter.com/arifhasannfl ... 3415399424

It’s just one play but validates what I saw in person at the KC game. Cousins does have a tendency to miss guys and prematurely check down. I don’t know how many of these plays were on Cousins vs the line or play calling. This isn’t only a knock on Cousins, if they knew he was skittish in the pocket they should have invested more in the O-line. The interior of the line is really bad and Rick didn’t address that position until very late in the draft the first year Cousins was here. And then they proceeded to cut the guy and have him picked up by another team. Much more emphasis this past draft but it remains to be seen if guys like Samia and even Bradbury pan out. It’s crucial they do because it’s pretty obvious Reiff needs to be replaced now too. Hopefully they don’t pick another Remmers or Clemmings.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:43 pm Saw a lot of comments on social media about Cousins missing open receivers, especially Thielen. Came across this:

It’s just one play but validates what I saw in person at the KC game. Cousins does have a tendency to miss guys and prematurely check down. I don’t know how many of these plays were on Cousins vs the line or play calling. This isn’t only a knock on Cousins, if they knew he was skittish in the pocket they should have invested more in the O-line. The interior of the line is really bad and Rick didn’t address that position until very late in the draft the first year Cousins was here. And then they proceeded to cut the guy and have him picked up by another team. Much more emphasis this past draft but it remains to be seen if guys like Samia and even Bradbury pan out. It’s crucial they do because it’s pretty obvious Reiff needs to be replaced now too. Hopefully they don’t pick another Remmers or Clemmings.
All QBs are skittish when there is pressure. Our guy Fran who is in the HOF looked like he was gonna cry against the Steel curtain in the Super Bowl. Cousins isn't close to a HOF level so yes he gets skittish. If I was playing and I seen a stud across from Reiff you know it will be 2 seconds before you are smashed. Unless of course you run around to avoid the beat down and keep the play alive. Then the time to throw stat looks like you had all day to throw. No you were running for your life and to keep the play alive. But yes Reiff needs to be gone before someone,Cousins, get's hurt bad. He's a bum and that's why he was on the market. Very few times have great LTs hit the FA market. They are to valuable.
The negotiator
Backup

Post by The negotiator »

CharVike wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:08 am
S197 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:43 pm Saw a lot of comments on social media about Cousins missing open receivers, especially Thielen. Came across this:

All QBs are skittish when there is pressure. Our guy Fran who is in the HOF looked like he was gonna cry against the Steel curtain in the Super Bowl. Cousins isn't close to a HOF level so yes he gets skittish. If I was playing and I seen a stud across from Reiff you know it will be 2 seconds before you are smashed. Unless of course you run around to avoid the beat down and keep the play alive. Then the time to throw stat looks like you had all day to throw. No you were running for your life and to keep the play alive. But yes Reiff needs to be gone before someone,Cousins, get's hurt bad. He's a bum and that's why he was on the market. Very few times have great LTs hit the FA market. They are to valuable.

[/ Answer: Get Trent Williams. He sat out this year with Washington. Pro bowler. I know we have cap limitations but we have players who are expendable and Washington needs help at a lot of positions.
The negotiator
Backup

Post by The negotiator »

The negotiator wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:14 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:08 am

[/ Answer: Get Trent Williams. He sat out this year with Washington. Pro bowler. I know we have cap limitations but we have players who are expendable and Washington needs help at a lot of positions.
My bad. Put that last comment in CharVikes post
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:14 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:05 am
So if Cousins can’t even set up at the top of his drop, scrambles for 3 seconds and throws the ball away without being sacked, this stat says he had 3+ seconds to throw. Is that really good O-line play?

I think that’s the problem with that stat. A quarterback is typically less successful the longer he holds the ball. That’s why Brady and Brees are so successful. They get rid of the ball. Their teams are always going to rank low in that stat.

Our O-line was terrible Monday. It’s by far the biggest reason we lost.
I don't watch Brady much but caught some of his last game. You act like all he does is a couple steps and 3 yard dinks all day. Or he never holds the ball too long. That's not what I saw. I saw a guy stand there surveying the field looking for a guy. Even he couldn't believe no player was around him and eventually dumped it off because no one was open or he was expecting to get plastered. That's not dumping it off quick. He also displayed a dam good arm. He might play forever. Also when Brady had Moss for that year he threw a #### load of TDs he wasn't dumping it off to Moss in a split second. He stood there waiting for him to make his break deep. Watch the highlights. It wasn't quick dump offs. Moss wasn't that type of a WR. He was a game breaker looking for the deep strike. That stat is the biggest BS one ever. Brady don't get sacked much because his OL can block. Nothing to do with his dump offs. Mentioning Brees and Brady together isn't fair either. Brees has one Super Bowl I think. He's played forever. Last I seen Brees play us was in the playoffs and he chocked the game away against a stiff secondary. Brady don't do that.
You do realize that Brady to Moss was 12 years ago, right?

Tom Brady gets rid of the ball quicker than any QB in league history. I don’t know what you’re watching, but your eyes are deceiving you. That’s not because he’s skittish. That’s because he knows pre-snap what is going to be open. In their last game, he had (and took) more time because New England made the run game work, and he threw a lot of play action. Funny, that used to be our stock in trade. Play action always takes more time.

Brees in his prime threw it downfield a lot, but these days, nobody throws more short passes. They have no other WR threat other than Thomas, yet he still manages to get the ball to Thomas 10 times per game. But at 11 yards per catch, it’s not a lot of downfield. Brees this year ranks near the bottom in air yards per attempt.

The good quarterbacks don’t typically need a lot of time.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:55 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:14 pm
You do realize that Brady to Moss was 12 years ago, right?

Tom Brady gets rid of the ball quicker than any QB in league history. I don’t know what you’re watching, but your eyes are deceiving you. That’s not because he’s skittish. That’s because he knows pre-snap what is going to be open. In their last game, he had (and took) more time because New England made the run game work, and he threw a lot of play action. Funny, that used to be our stock in trade. Play action always takes more time.

Brees in his prime threw it downfield a lot, but these days, nobody throws more short passes. They have no other WR threat other than Thomas, yet he still manages to get the ball to Thomas 10 times per game. But at 11 yards per catch, it’s not a lot of downfield. Brees this year ranks near the bottom in air yards per attempt.

The good quarterbacks don’t typically need a lot of time.
Manning was so good at getting rid of the ball quickly. The most frustrating QB to play against if your team had a good pass rush, because it didn't matter how good the rush was, the ball was out before they got to him.

There is an art to it though, and QBs can get rid of it too quickly and be ineffective on offense. Carr has been a prime example of that the past two seasons. Bradford in 2016 did the same. Got rid of the ball fast, but for 1-3 yards where Brady and Manning picked up 8-15.

Brees' arm is shot. Watching him throw downfield now is painful. The guy still gets it done though.

Interesting that the two worst arms in football (due to age) are have, or are fighting for first round byes. Just goes to show that the most important part of the QB is not his arm.