2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:20 pm So what do the Vikings have to do improve the online?
What OG are actually signed for next year in Purple? Is it just Isidora?

Remmers cut, Compton , Jones, Easton unsigned.

Lots of work to do!!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:55 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:29 pm Vikes were pretty tight under the cap before resigning Barr. Does anyone have an update on where this deal puts them?

As far as the move goes, Barr is definitely a talented player who is in the prime of his career. He has lapses at times, but his athletic ability can't be questioned. It's an astute move from a continuity and team chemistry perspective, and while I can't say I'm super excited about it, it does take some pressure off Rick to find an adequate replacement in the draft or in FA, which would be unlikely given the other needs the team has.

I agree with others that this makes it more likely we're seeing the end of the Griffen era, but we'll know for sure by Friday.
Astue move? WTH is astute about it? Barr under performed most of his time with the Vikes, so much so most people with half a brain thought he would be gone this season. Wilson was playing better then Barr....whats astute about that?
Well, if you think Zimmer knows how to evaluate defensive players and knows which ones are worth keeping around versus letting go, then its an astute move to keep a guy who is entering the prime of his career and should be able to contribute consistently going forward.

If you don't think Zimmer is good at that, then I guess its not an astute move.

I'd agree that Wilson played well in Barr's absence. That alone doesn't make the move illogical.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:52 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:36 pm

No a troll is someone that intentionally tries to elicit reactions out of others. Which is you....99% of the time. You hardly comment at all on here in the offseason. You just come on ONLY when it's something you disagree with or think is "clueless". So basically, you come on here just to bitc* and whine. Like how about bringing something relevant to the board, instead of just complaining all the time? When I see you are the last poster in a thread, I dont even need to look and I already know what it is....you complaining. Maybe people would actually take your opinions more serious if you actually posted relevant things on here.

But no it doesnt "hurt my feelings". It's just you dont have a clue how tiring it is for people to see you say over and over "Ricky this and Ricky that" and "Kirk sucks, Nice throw Kirk and Kirk's a bust". Yeah lets keep judging a player over his first year with the team. Because that's gone over well for you in the past..... like stop with the childish complaining posts. Like I get being frustrated, we all have been there, but you take it to a whole new level and it's nothing that ever stops with you. In the chat, threads, whenever. You sound and act more and more like Demi by the day. Your negativity drives people nuts.
Unlike you, I actually did a little research on Cousins when I heard Ricky was interested in him. And Rick has no eye for QBs, he has PROVEN that, over and over and over. And sure enough Cousins did exactly what I thought he did in WAS, nothing. Absolutely nothing. But you, with this uneducated love of all thing Ricky, immediately deciding this would be a great signing. Like you did with Bradford. And you will be just as wrong as you were then, with Cousins. Blind faith doesnt make you a better fan. Its going to take years to clean up the mess Rick has made here, he should have been given the boot years ago.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Now did you put words into my mouth here or what??!! WOW!

First of all, I'm guessing that there arent many here that actually research not only the Vikings but the NFL as much as I do. Sorry but you looking at his stat line isnt "researching".

As for my "uneducated love" for some guy named "Ricky".... I have no problem saying when he makes mistakes. I literally just said two days ago that he missed out on Zeitler and that he messed that one up. But no, you just see what you want to see, hear what you want to hear. He's made plenty of mistakes in the past. And when he does, I will say it. It's just bottom line is, you think he cant do anything RIGHT, so when others or myself praise him for good moves, it bothers you. No different than Cousins. You've developed such a pathetic hate for the two of them, that you have to shred them any chance you get to try and push your point. The difference between me and you is that I am actually realistic and I look into the "why" this happens or that happens, I give players time to develop in a system, I look in depth at numbers and statistics. You dont. You look on the surface of everything. Perfect examples....Waynes is a bust after year 1, Spielman was an idiot for passing on Peters (who's grossly overrated btw), Spielman is clueless for resigning Barr (when we dont have any LBs worth a damn on the roster outside of Kendricks and would create another hole), Cousins is a bust signing (when he's literally played one season with us), Keenum was better because he had a better record than Cousins with the same roster (also completely false), etc.

Do you know what Demi did on this board PK? Called Joseph a bust signing and just a "fat guy with a bullet in his leg". He called Munnerlyn a bust signing sarcastically calling him "the worlds greatest slot midget", he questioned the drafting Adrian Peterson....should I go on? Bottom line is, I see a common pattern here between you two.

And WHEN....I repeat WHEN did I ever say Sam Bradford was a "GREAT signing"??? All I simply said was that I give Spielman credit for making a move because we had nothing other than Shaun Hill (which was also Spielmans fault for not getting a better backup). But bottom line was, we couldnt ride out the season with Shaun Hill. Teams dont ever "tank" on purpose as much as fans think they do or should. So I give him credit for making a move. It was a high risk but potential high reward trade IF Bradford could stay healthy. He did year one but the team tanked at years end. Year 2 he showed he couldnt stay healthy. So in the end, it didnt work out. Do I agree with the trade, yes and no. Did I EVER once say it was a "GREAT" trade? Absolutely not.

And it will take years to clean up this "mess"?? What mess? Talk about a blind, miserable fan. Look at the talent across this roster. Yeah...some mess we have here. Last time I checked, Spielman is the one that brought in Dalvin Cook, Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, Brian O'Niell, Griffen, Joseph, Hunter, Kendricks, Barr, Smith, Rhodes, Harris, Waynes, Hill, Alexander, Hughes....I can keep going.... Yeah the guy has made mistakes. He's an NFL GM. It's going to happen. But he's also put together a talented roster. I find it funny that 90% of analysts and articles out there have Spielman as a top 5-10 GM in this entire league....but you think he's awful, put us in a "mess" and clueless. And you wonder why myself and even others cant take you seriously....You had me "foed"...feel free to leave it that way instead of constantly commenting on every post I make. Thanks
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:07 pm
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Unlike you, I actually did a little research on Cousins when I heard Ricky was interested in him. And Rick has no eye for QBs, he has PROVEN that, over and over and over. And sure enough Cousins did exactly what I thought he did in WAS, nothing. Absolutely nothing. But you, with this uneducated love of all thing Ricky, immediately deciding this would be a great signing. Like you did with Bradford. And you will be just as wrong as you were then, with Cousins. Blind faith doesnt make you a better fan. Its going to take years to clean up the mess Rick has made here, he should have been given the boot years ago.

First of all, I'm guessing that there arent many here that actually research not only the Vikings but the NFL as much as I do. Sorry but you looking at his stat line isnt "researching".

As for my "uneducated love" for some guy named "Ricky".... I have no problem saying when he makes mistakes. I literally just said two days ago that he missed out on Zeitler and that he messed that one up. But no, you just see what you want to see, hear what you want to hear. He's made plenty of mistakes in the past. And when he does, I will say it. It's just bottom line is, you think he cant do anything RIGHT, so when others or myself praise him for good moves, it bothers you. No different than Cousins. You've developed such a pathetic hate for the two of them, that you have to shred them any chance you get to try and push your point. The difference between me and you is that I am actually realistic and I look into the "why" this happens or that happens, I give players time to develop in a system, I look in depth at numbers and statistics. You dont. You look on the surface of everything. Perfect examples....Waynes is a bust after year 1, Spielman was an idiot for passing on Peters (who's grossly overrated btw), Spielman is clueless for resigning Barr (when we dont have any LBs worth a damn on the roster outside of Kendricks and would create another hole), Cousins is a bust signing (when he's literally played one season with us), Keenum was better because he had a better record than Cousins with the same roster (also completely false), etc.

Do you know what Demi did on this board PK? Called Joseph a bust signing and just a "fat guy with a bullet in his leg". He called Munnerlyn a bust signing sarcastically calling him "the worlds greatest slot midget", he questioned the drafting Adrian Peterson....should I go on? Bottom line is, I see a common pattern here between you two.

And WHEN....I repeat WHEN did I ever say Sam Bradford was a "GREAT signing"??? All I simply said was that I give Spielman credit for making a move because we had nothing other than Shaun Hill (which was also Spielmans fault for not getting a better backup). But bottom line was, we couldnt ride out the season with Shaun Hill. Teams dont ever "tank" on purpose as much as fans think they do or should. So I give him credit for making a move. It was a high risk but potential high reward trade IF Bradford could stay healthy. He did year one but the team tanked at years end. Year 2 he showed he couldnt stay healthy. So in the end, it didnt work out. Do I agree with the trade, yes and no. Did I EVER once say it was a "GREAT" trade? Absolutely not.

And it will take years to clean up this "mess"?? What mess? Talk about a blind, miserable fan. Look at the talent across this roster. Yeah...some mess we have here. Last time I checked, Spielman is the one that brought in Dalvin Cook, Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, Brian O'Niell, Griffen, Joseph, Hunter, Kendricks, Barr, Smith, Rhodes, Harris, Waynes, Hill, Alexander, Hughes....I can keep going.... Yeah the guy has made mistakes. He's an NFL GM. It's going to happen. But he's also put together a talented roster. I find it funny that 90% of analysts and articles out there have Spielman as a top 5-10 GM in this entire league....but you think he's awful, put us in a "mess" and clueless. And you wonder why myself and even others cant take you seriously....You had me "foed"...feel free to leave it that way instead of constantly commenting on every post I make. Thanks
Giving Rick credit for the second worst trade in Vikings history, because he "made a move"?

The right move was to ride it out with Hill and sign a guy off the streets. I said it then, I still say it today. The right move is never to trade a 1st for statistically the worst full time QB in the past decade...who couldn't stay healthy.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'm glad it's an incentive laden contract (if rumors are right) as his work ethic and production have been questionable at times.

I'm not super happy that we once again prioritized defense at what will surely be a detriment to our OL. We'll likely go DT in round 1 now.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:15 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Giving Rick credit for the second worst trade in Vikings history, because he "made a move"?

The right move was to ride it out with Hill and sign a guy off the streets. I said it then, I still say it today. The right move is never to trade a 1st for statistically the worst full time QB in the past decade...who couldn't stay healthy.
Bottom line was something needed to be done. Riding out hill is ridiculous if you ask me. This wasn’t just an injury to teddy. It was career threatening. Are you going to tell me that if Trubisky or Goff had a career threatening injury a year or two ago, the rams or bears wouldn’t trade a first round pick away for a guy like Nick Foles? When they know they have a loaded roster? I’m not saying it was a good move necessarily selecting Bradford. I’m just saying instead of sitting there doing nothing and tanking, he tried to salvage the season. I don’t think Bradford was worth a first by any means. I don’t think it was a “great” trade by any means. I’m simply saying at least he did something instead of nothing.

And Bradford is not statistically the worst full time QB of the last decade. The kid had talent just couldn’t stay healthy and was on the browns of his era. The rams were the worst team in the nfl for a long time when he was drafted by them. So looking at record does nothing for me if that’s what you’re referring to. It’s like David Carr going to the Texans. And he wasn’t nearly as talented as bradford. His team was just that bad
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Bottom line was something needed to be done. Riding out hill is ridiculous if you ask me. This wasn’t just an injury to teddy. It was career threatening. Are you going to tell me that if Trubisky or Goff had a career threatening injury a year or two ago, the rams or bears wouldn’t trade a first round pick away for a guy like Nick Foles? When they know they have a loaded roster? I’m not saying it was a good move necessarily selecting Bradford. I’m just saying instead of sitting there doing nothing and tanking, he tried to salvage the season. I don’t think Bradford was worth a first by any means. I don’t think it was a “great” trade by any means. I’m simply saying at least he did something instead of nothing.

And Bradford is not statistically the worst full time QB of the last decade. The kid had talent just couldn’t stay healthy and was on the browns of his era. The rams were the worst team in the nfl for a long time when he was drafted by them. So looking at record does nothing for me if that’s what you’re referring to. It’s like David Carr going to the Texans. And he wasn’t nearly as talented as bradford. His team was just that bad
These are some of his career stats when the Vikings traded for him:
https://www.sportsgrid.com/real-sports/ ... ord-sucks/
Here are some highlights:
Last in QB rating, last in YPA, 2nd to last in yards, last in TD %

Pro football reference had him as the 138th most valuable starter in the SB era. Behind Matt Cassel and Mark Sanchez.

There are QBs who were worse while he was starting, but no one in the past decade has had the lengthy career of sucking that Bradford had.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

And here is another thing. He wasn't even the best QB available. My guess is Foles could have been had for much less via trade that year.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Unless you were using a different username, you were not here when the Vikings drafted peterson, so you would have no clue what Demi said about that unless you went back to read it, which is very odd. And why bring him up? The dude hasn't even logged on in years after being the #2 poster on the board up until a few months ago. People don't just stop coming to the board, so my guess is there is something bad with him... I worry that he passed away and we have no way of knowing. He may have been negative but he was a prominent member of the board, and therefore a viking brother.
The fact that the Vikings have done nothing about the OL and are now over the cap infuriates me. As much as I love the Barr re-signing, it really is a head scratcher. Kubiak may be a coad coach, but I don't think Jesus Christ could make our OL even half competent. They are that bad.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Are you telling me Jesus Christ couldn’t hit a curve ball?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:44 am
YikesVikes wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:27 am

Eagles and Rams to name two teams that spent heavily in FA the year they had it to the Superbowl. Our best shot at Superbowl came when we spent heavily with Hutch, Winfield, Allen, Lever, Favre. Truth is balance is needed between draft and FA.
The Eagles and Rams signed guys to 1 year prove it deals. Not long term contracts. Suh, Warmack, Shields, Jeffery, etc. Getting guys as one year rentals vs being on the hook for 5 years are two completely different things. Right now, there arent 1 year contracts being dished out. These are long term deals. And the more that you see that happen, the more of a mistake it is. The Bucs and Dolphins were two primary examples of it. Bucs have the worst cap space in the league right now, and they still blow. Miami had to cut half their roster to have any money left. And guess what, all were free agent signings. Trying to trade Quinn, cutting Branch, Larsen, Amendola, etc.

As for us, lets be honest, Favre was the biggest reason we got to where we did. You take Favre off that team, we're in the dumpster.
You're splitting hairs and moving the goal posts. The bottom line is that intelligence needs to be used when making these decisions (draft or FA).
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:26 pm Are you telling me Jesus Christ couldn’t hit a curve ball?
Lol. Great line.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:25 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:29 pm Vikes were pretty tight under the cap before resigning Barr. Does anyone have an update on where this deal puts them?

As far as the move goes, Barr is definitely a talented player who is in the prime of his career. He has lapses at times, but his athletic ability can't be questioned. It's an astute move from a continuity and team chemistry perspective, and while I can't say I'm super excited about it, it does take some pressure off Rick to find an adequate replacement in the draft or in FA, which would be unlikely given the other needs the team has.

I agree with others that this makes it more likely we're seeing the end of the Griffen era, but we'll know for sure by Friday.
We are over the cap right now. I'm guessing somewhere around $4 million. I just read that we currently have a contract restructure submitted for Griffen. No word on if he will accept or not. I would hope they would give Rudy one too. I saw a quote from Rudy about how he would take a restructure but I'm not sure how accurate it was.
This offseason looks like a ####. We really seem to be reactive. Who goes into the tampering period looking to restructure. A team tight on the cap should have had that cleared by then. The Barr decision seems like it was out of fear of losing him. No talks with Rudy is just bizarre. Either you love him enough to keep him (restructure) or you don't (cut him).
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Unless you were using a different username, you were not here when the Vikings drafted peterson, so you would have no clue what Demi said about that unless you went back to read it, which is very odd. And why bring him up? The dude hasn't even logged on in years after being the #2 poster on the board up until a few months ago. People don't just stop coming to the board, so my guess is there is something bad with him... I worry that he passed away and we have no way of knowing. He may have been negative but he was a prominent member of the board, and therefore a viking brother.
The fact that the Vikings have done nothing about the OL and are now over the cap infuriates me. As much as I love the Barr re-signing, it really is a head scratcher. Kubiak may be a coad coach, but I don't think Jesus Christ could make our OL even half competent. They are that bad.
I wasn’t on the board. I called Demi out on it because it was quoted by another member about him questioning AP back then. So that’s how I know. As for him not posting, who knows, it could happen to anyone or people move on with their lives. He stopped posting when the Vikings got good again. So who knows. Either way, it’s about the negativity that PK brings to the board. Very similar to how Demi acted. That’s why he was brought up.

As for our FAs, it’s still not Wednesday and guys are freaking out. It’s the same pattern every year. We hardly ever jump right in and spend like crazy. We have Isidora as our only guard right now. I highly doubt we go into next year with just him. Guys need to pump the breaks
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Like I said many times, Shurmur is doing it right. Just got a first round pick, 3rd round pick and Jabrill Peppers for OBJ. Another excellent trade for the giants
-Chazz Palminteri