Draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dakotavike
Starter

Re: Draft thread

Post by Dakotavike »

Unfortunately I had to work last night and couldn't watch the draft live. Just finished watching it and all I have to say is that you all seem to have forgotten that with the new CBA GM's are allowed to roll extra picks over to the next year! :rofl:

In all seriousness I don't have much to add that hasn't already been mentioned:

-I really wanted T. Will but am glad that we had our choice between Jones and Cleveland
-Was really hoping we could find a way to get Winfield
-Don't hate adding more CB's
-Shocked at the number of picks we've accumulated...hope we use them wisely
-Hurts went earlier than most expected. I had predicted that but surprised he went to Eagles
-REALLY REALLY hope we come away with Fromm or Eason.
-Weaver, Tyler Johnson, Bartch still high on my list.

Overall pretty happy so far. Should make for a very interesting Day 3.

SKOL VIKES!!!
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

So apparently getting all of this ammo is not for moving up as much as we hope, but to be able to draft the undrafted free agents instead of having to call and compete in a free for all after the draft.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

IIsweet wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:56 am So apparently getting all of this ammo is not for moving up as much as we hope, but to be able to draft the undrafted free agents instead of having to call and compete in a free for all after the draft.
Maybe we will trade up today.
So far I think we are very lucky we didn't trade up yesterday.
Vikings tried to move up for Jefferson. It would have probably cost us pick 58 or 89 to do it and we got him anyway.
Next player we most likely would have traded up for Ezra Cleveland Got him anyway.
Next Player Maybe Jordan Elliott would have cost us 89 Dantzler and 105 which we ended up trading down for 4 picks

Would any of those have been a good move?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Dakotavike wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:02 am Unfortunately I had to work last night and couldn't watch the draft live. Just finished watching it and all I have to say is that you all seem to have forgotten that with the new CBA GM's are allowed to roll extra picks over to the next year! :rofl:

In all seriousness I don't have much to add that hasn't already been mentioned:

-I really wanted T. Will but am glad that we had our choice between Jones and Cleveland
-Was really hoping we could find a way to get Winfield
-Don't hate adding more CB's
-Shocked at the number of picks we've accumulated...hope we use them wisely
-Hurts went earlier than most expected. I had predicted that but surprised he went to Eagles
-REALLY REALLY hope we come away with Fromm or Eason.
-Weaver, Tyler Johnson, Bartch still high on my list.

Overall pretty happy so far. Should make for a very interesting Day 3.

SKOL VIKES!!!
Some pretty good choices.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

best available players left per Sports Illustrated
https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/25/best- ... -nfl-draft

Vikings needs. Guard, DT, DE, S, WR, Once these are covered if we don't do any more trades it should simply be BPA the rest of the way.
#1 Curtis Weaver Edge Boise State. We can have a class reunion for Mattison, and Cleveland and meet a big need with the highest rated player on the board.
#2 Amik Robertson CB Louisiana Tech if we are looking at Dantzler as a safety
#4 Eason QB Washington We have so many picks. Why not use one to upgrade the backup QB
10 Tyler Biadasz IOL Wisconsin Highest rated G/C
11. Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Michigan
15. James Lynch, IDL, Baylor
17. Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota
19. Netane Muti, IOL, Fresno State
21. Khalid Kareem, EDGE, Notre Dame
28. Ben Bartch, OT, St. John's (MN) Rated Much higher on other boards and considered a guard prospect as well
30. John Simpson, IOL, Clemson Rated Much higher on other boards Might be my personal favorite for first pick day three
36. K'Von Wallace, S, Clemson
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:18 pm
IIsweet wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:10 pm Anyone else notice Bill O'Brien cussing at someone on his phone. He was pissed about something
Yeah he's literally one of the biggest d-bags I've ever seen. I could care less about the Texans but I cant stand that guy. And why that organization gave him so much power is beyond me
Do you guys know the details behind Hopkins leaving?

SI had quite the article this past week. Hopkins wanted out, even though he and fellow Clemson guy Deshaun Watson were tight as twins. He said he had no relationship with O’Brien, who apparently never talked to Hopkins. When he finally did, he basically compared Hopkins’ off-field life to Aaron Hernandez. It was totally ludicrous, especially since Hopkins is sort of a renaissance man — into art and architecture and interior design and stuff like that. When your own coach doesn’t know that about you and assumes you’re a thug, mainly because you wear dreadlocks, then compares you to a murderer who killed himself, that’s pretty much a problem.

Hopkins had a simple strategy to get out — he asked for a raise. He knew that would get O’Brien to act.

D-bag? Yep. That’s O’Brien.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:07 pm
cogitator wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:05 pm

I'm not real optimistic that those 4 seventh round picks will be players that help.
Lottery tickets. Will all four "hit"? No. Will 1/4? Maybe. Which would be a lot better than most teams who have only one 7th and miss on him.
Yeah, we need to remember, we’ve got seven 7th rounders on the Vikings right now, plus a number of UFAs.

There is nothing wrong with this strategy, as long as you’re not totally relying on low-round picks. Clearly we’re not.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Alright, day 3. Pork Shoulder's on the smoker, where it'll sit for 10-12 hours, and make my prostrate position on the couch seem less slothful to the team.

Guys I'd like today: Biadasz, Bartsch (sp?), a 3 tech, a DE, and Proche and/or Tyler Johnson. :v):

Edit to add: I'm listening to an interview of Rick on Vikings.com. He said that they tried to move up in the 3rd, but weren't able to find a trade partner (and that it wasn't a technological issue related to the unique circumstances). Also: that they have 60 players on contract currently, and need to get to 90. Lastly, that they will likely move around today to target players and potentially add picks to next year's draft.
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:51 pm
S197 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:47 pm While I'm not a huge fan of 40 7th rounders it has worked out fairly well over the years we have got a lot of good players over the years.
Why not have all your players self quarantine then all be picked up on the team plane. They could isolate enough to get their work in IMHO .

Or he doesn’t trust his ability to evaluate talent and needs double the number of “darts” as the average GM. Why not trade all your picks and grab 40 7th rounders by that logic? Systems that work are emulated. No one is really following Rick in this strategy. It has some merit, but he goes way overboard. All that will happen is we double the number of Moritz Bohringers and Bucky Hodges that get cut in a couple months.

And what makes it even worse is this is quite literally the worst draft to accumulate picks in the history of the NFL. When are these evaluations and competitions taking place? In the rookie camps that aren’t happening? The cancelled OTAs? The shortened training camp if there is one? If we’re very optimistic, the number of practices this offseason will probably be 50% less than the average season. So he has double the amount of picks with half the time to evaluate. Brilliant.
Virtual workouts and cuts via Zoom lol
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

S197 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:47 pm
And what makes it even worse is this is quite literally the worst draft to accumulate picks in the history of the NFL. When are these evaluations and competitions taking place? In the rookie camps that aren’t happening? The cancelled OTAs? The shortened training camp if there is one? If we’re very optimistic, the number of practices this offseason will probably be 50% less than the average season. So he has double the amount of picks with half the time to evaluate. Brilliant.
this is a good point- I hadn't thought of it. I guess they can use the time to watch more tape????
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

It’s hard enough to evaluate a draft TWO YEARS after the fact, so the number of folks here who are sure they have this draft pegged (good or bad) surprises me.

I don’t have any issues with accumulating picks for today; we have no idea yet how the day will unfold. I also don’t have any issues if we use them all and have to be creative in terms of evaluations. In fact I can 100% see the NFL and NFLPA coming to some kind of agreement on roster exemptions for a period of time or some such if the time and distance of evaluating players makes the whole process untenable. If that happens, and it’s a big if, then having more players to evaluate becomes moot.

My concerns only fall on our coaching staff’s ability to actually teach and coach the incoming players, whoever they end up being. IMO our staff has definitely been middle of the road in this regard for several years. I am REALLY hoping the changes to the staff and having Kubiak more hands-on will help the individual players become what they are capable of becoming. If THAT happens, and we will know it if several draft picks turn into solid and above contributors – then I will be thrilled.

I say let Rick do his thing. He’s done fine so far in my book, but my book is admittedly more like a pamphlet at this point. I’ll be happy if I simply recognize any names we take from this point forward.

There’s no telling even if there will be a SEASON to play at this point, which could make things crae crae moving forward in terms of rosters and who stays or goes. So fretting over our number of 7th round picks before we get there seems a bit silly to me.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

I know the Vikings have already drafted Ezra Cleveland, but I would love for them to bring in Alex Taylor from SC State. The kid has a lot you can work with, long arms, huge hands, fast and athletic for a guy his size, good bend for his height.

Also would love to pick up the local kid, Tyler Johnson. He has dropped far enough. A good lesson for future NFL hopefuls to take the opportunities given you and not try and dictate evaluation on your own terms. For those who did not know, Tyler Johnson skipped Senior Bowl and Combine, then Corvid 19 hit and evaluators never had a chance to work him out 1 on 1.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I would not be surprised if Vikings do not draft a quarterback at all since Mannion is signed for 3 years and Browning has 1 more year left....
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:27 am Alright, day 3. Pork Shoulder's on the smoker, where it'll sit for 10-12 hours, and make my prostrate position on the couch seem less slothful to the team.

Guys I'd like today: Biadasz, Bartsch (sp?), a 3 tech, a DE, and Proche and/or Tyler Johnson. :v):

Edit to add: I'm listening to an interview of Rick on Vikings.com. He said that they tried to move up in the 3rd, but weren't able to find a trade partner (and that it wasn't a technological issue related to the unique circumstances). Also: that they have 60 players on contract currently, and need to get to 90. Lastly, that they will likely move around today to target players and potentially add picks to next year's draft.
Well, it is a good thing Vikings did not trade up, they still got the player they wanted at their current spot anyway
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:02 am
Texas Vike wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:27 am Alright, day 3. Pork Shoulder's on the smoker, where it'll sit for 10-12 hours, and make my prostrate position on the couch seem less slothful to the team.

Well, it is a good thing Vikings did not trade up, they still got the player they wanted at their current spot anyway
No, they were targeting someone in the third that they did not get. Rick, obviously, did not state who that was.