Draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Draft thread

Post by RandyMoss84 »

We can not complain much about the draft so far, Vikings have been filling needs
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:11 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:09 pm Draft starts at 9 am tomorrow right?
11 a.m. central
Thank you
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:06 pm
cogitator wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:05 pm

I'm not real optimistic that those 4 seventh round picks will be players that help.
If one of them is it's worth it.
Exactly. I have spoke out about Spielman's strategy multiple times. Think about it, the average team has 1 pick in each round tomorrow which is 4 picks. We have 13, who has a better chance of hitting on day 3 picks, the Vikings or the average team with 4 picks? The more picks, the better the chance to find guys like Odenigbo, Weatherly, Stephen, etc. AND given it is SO many picks, we can easily trade up for any player we want at any time. The 49ers had 5 picks in this draft. We had 17.The 49ers had two 1sts, a 5th, 6th and 7th. If our draft doesnt end up being much better than someone like the 49ers, it would be insane
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:19 pm I'm over the Trent idea. Stack up this Oline now with some of those 13 picks and go full on depth. Let them compete and see what we have. I don't think they keep all 13, but the more prospects at this point, the better. Some will hit. That's not counting the picks these last 2 nights. 3 of 4, if not all 4 probably start more than a few times next season. Great draft thus far, in my opinion.Another pass rusher is lacking though. Robinson from Syracuse might be in consideration.
Yeah there is still a ton of talent out there. The best part about this is that we literally have the pick of the litter with the entire draft pool right now. We could easily trade up to #1 tomorrow and it wouldnt even effect us one bit. Dont be surprised if we trade some picks away for 2021 picks as well.

There are so many guards out there right now. Still a few good CBs, plenty of safety depth, Fromm who I would definitely take at this point, a couple DTs, love Robinson from Cuse. So many options and a much better probability of hitting on picks than these other teams have.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I saw that Saints do not have any picks for tomorrow since Saints gave the rest of their picks to us! Thank you Saints! :lol: :rock:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:22 pm
Exactly. I have spoke out about Spielman's strategy multiple times. Think about it, the average team has 1 pick in each round tomorrow which is 4 picks. We have 13, who has a better chance of hitting on day 3 picks, the Vikings or the average team with 4 picks? The more picks, the better the chance to find guys like Odenigbo, Weatherly, Stephen, etc. AND given it is SO many picks, we can easily trade up for any player we want at any time. The 49ers had 5 picks in this draft. We had 17.The 49ers had two 1sts, a 5th, 6th and 7th. If our draft doesnt end up being much better than someone like the 49ers, it would be insane
Or he doesn’t trust his ability to evaluate talent and needs double the number of “darts” as the average GM. Why not trade all your picks and grab 40 7th rounders by that logic? Systems that work are emulated. No one is really following Rick in this strategy. It has some merit, but he goes way overboard. All that will happen is we double the number of Moritz Bohringers and Bucky Hodges that get cut in a couple months.

And what makes it even worse is this is quite literally the worst draft to accumulate picks in the history of the NFL. When are these evaluations and competitions taking place? In the rookie camps that aren’t happening? The cancelled OTAs? The shortened training camp if there is one? If we’re very optimistic, the number of practices this offseason will probably be 50% less than the average season. So he has double the amount of picks with half the time to evaluate. Brilliant.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:05 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:00 pm

It is a good trade down
I want us to move those picks up to early 4ths.
I can see that happening since Vikings did not trade up today
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Except this isn't Madden. You need to have people who can identify the diamonds from the dirt even after you draft these guys. Also, you have limited reps the more guys you add. Getting to teach 1 LT what they need to become that diamond is easier than 3 guys.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:47 pm

Or he doesn’t trust his ability to evaluate talent and needs double the number of “darts” as the average GM. Why not trade all your picks and grab 40 7th rounders by that logic? Systems that work are emulated. No one is really following Rick in this strategy. It has some merit, but he goes way overboard. All that will happen is we double the number of Moritz Bohringers and Bucky Hodges that get cut in a couple months.

And what makes it even worse is this is quite literally the worst draft to accumulate picks in the history of the NFL. When are these evaluations and competitions taking place? In the rookie camps that aren’t happening? The cancelled OTAs? The shortened training camp if there is one? If we’re very optimistic, the number of practices this offseason will probably be 50% less than the average season. So he has double the amount of picks with half the time to evaluate. Brilliant.
Virtual workouts and cuts via Zoom lol
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:51 pm

Virtual workouts and cuts via Zoom lol
:lol:

It’s sad but true. And we’re the only team with a GM that hasn’t figured this out.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:09 pm
VikingPaul73 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:03 pm Its funny how many picks he collects, but 13 picks on Day 3???? Why? How many spots are available on this team?

I guess if they have a glut of equally ranked players it makes a certain amount of sense.....but there are a fixed amount of roster spots!!!!!!!!!!!
And camp might be shortened leaving less time to evaluate.
That is a down side. There are a lot of good players still out there. If I had received that offer I think I would have accepted it. I would have taken Simpson with that pick. If I can still get him than I won the trade without question.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I ran a sim of the rest of the draft. This is what I got without even trying. I did one trade to get the first pick of the day

MIN 107.
Curtis Weaver
DE Boise State
trade icon
MIN 130.
Tyler Biadasz
C Wisconsin
MIN 132.
Kenny Robinson
S XFL (West Virginia)
MIN 176.
K'Von Wallace
S Clemson
MIN 201.
Reggie Robinson
CB Tulsa
MIN 203.
Quez Watkins
WR Southern Miss
MIN 205.
Saahdiq Charles
OT LSU
MIN 219.
Geno Stone
S Iowa
MIN 244.
Carter Coughlin
OLB Minnesota
MIN 249.
JaMycal Hasty
RB Baylor
MIN 253.
Derrek Tuszka
DE North Dakota State

Would that be a good result? I think this is a reasonably accurate portrayal of what we could come out of the rest of the draft with by only making one trade.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

So true
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Thaddeus Moss
Jacob Eason
Ben Bartch
Amik Robertson
Charlie Heck
Tyler Johnson (remember him?)
James Proche
Even if we don't get Trent Williams, still value there tomorrow? Yes? Yes!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

cmoss84 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:08 am Thaddeus Moss
Jacob Eason
Ben Bartch
Amik Robertson
Charlie Heck
Tyler Johnson (remember him?)
James Proche
Even if we don't get Trent Williams, still value there tomorrow? Yes? Yes!
Why would we draft Moss? We have Smith and Rudolph