Vikings @ Panthers Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 3

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings @ Panthers Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 3

Post by fiestavike »

What a win. Zimmer is just incredible! The Zimmer vintage are the best Vikings vintage in my lifetime by a country mile.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Considering all the injuries this team has suffered, they are rising to the occasion on both sides of the ball and getting positive results. It's a real testament to Zimmer... no excuses, we still need to get the job done. The guy is a really fantastic head coach. Hats off to him. :appl:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

SP1966 wrote: May? If that D isn't elite right now no D is.

As I see it, an elite defense is elite for a season, not just 3 games. That's why I phrased that way. They are playing at an elite level right now but they need to sustain it.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:Putting the clamps down after allowing 10 points in the first quarter and preventing the Panthers from scoring for the rest of the game was very impressive. This defense may actually become elite this season. They're playing at a very high level so far!

It's great to be 3-0, with a second road win already. :govikes:
Both wins on grass!!! GRASS!!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I also think the O line played decent today, the Panthers D is pretty good. My biggest praise is for the coaches at halftime, whatever they said or came up with was outstanding.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

It's a great defense...but a long season. Elite defenses are crowned in Dec/Jan
I think Bradford played really well in the 2nd half and they found some running room too.
Great work by Rudolph.
Not sure why Charles Johnson is in the starting lineup or even on the active roster.
CP really impressed me today with his presence.
Huge play for Sherels to keep them in it.
Great win for this team.
With this defense playing like it is, they should be able to matchup with anyone...just up to Turner to make the right calls/adjustments, like they did in the 3rd qtr today.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Husker Vike wrote:I also think the O line played decent today, the Panthers D is pretty good. My biggest praise is for the coaches at halftime, whatever they said or came up with was outstanding.
Something changed at halftime. I have no idea what. The offensive line was abysmal in the first half and serviceable in the second. That kind of magic isn't a fluke.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Both wins on grass!!! GRASS!!!
Well, if I'm not mistaken, they have played most of their games on grass over the last 2 years, correct? They should be used to it by now!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: Something changed at halftime. I have no idea what. The offensive line was abysmal in the first half and serviceable in the second. That kind of magic isn't a fluke.

I thinl Boone coming out helped. We are being forced to play Clemmings over Kalil and Sirles over Boone.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Husker Vike wrote:I also think the O line played decent today, the Panthers D is pretty good. My biggest praise is for the coaches at halftime, whatever they said or came up with was outstanding.
They shifted the leverage in pass pro. It puts a lot more pressure on the Tackles, but they countered by resorting to a lot of quick hitters. Effective in the short term, but this offense won't be able to take it to the next level until the QB and pass pro can get in sync.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: Something changed at halftime. I have no idea what. The offensive line was abysmal in the first half and serviceable in the second. That kind of magic isn't a fluke.
Barber was saying they shortened up the routes. Rudolph was big over the middle and Diggs was his usual self. It was nice to see some misdirection as well, the screen to Ellison was a very nice call. Running was marginally better but I think it will be the same every week, defenses are going to make the Vikings beat them through the air. I wonder how Treadwell is coming along, if we can get one more weapon out there to keep the D's honest, it would hopefully open up the run some.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Barber was saying they shortened up the routes. Rudolph was big over the middle and Diggs was his usual self. It was nice to see some misdirection as well, the screen to Ellison was a very nice call. Running was marginally better but I think it will be the same every week, defenses are going to make the Vikings beat them through the air. I wonder how Treadwell is coming along, if we can get one more weapon out there to keep the D's honest, it would hopefully open up the run some.
Hot Take: Thielen is the 2nd best WR on this team behind Diggs? I think it might be true. He his making clean breaks and coming out of them fast. Diggs and Thielen are both really tough guys to match up with. Its beautiful to see how much he has improved.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I don't play FF but I'm guessing 26 points for a defense is pretty high.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:Hot Take: Thielen is the 2nd best WR on this team behind Diggs? I think it might be true. He his making clean breaks and coming out of them fast. Diggs and Thielen are both really tough guys to match up with. Its beautiful to see how much he has improved.
I think this is the reason why Treadwell is finding it difficult. It's not his ability, per say, it's Thielen's.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Mothman wrote: Well, if I'm not mistaken, they have played most of their games on grass over the last 2 years, correct? They should be used to it by now!
TCF Bank stadium is turf, not grass.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida