Who Starts?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Josh Dobbs’ rise to NFL prominence is hard to believe — unless you know him

Post by Cliff »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:55 pm
makila wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:09 pm

Ahh sorry Cliff. Didn't think everyone could read via link, thought it was behind their paywall.
It is, and I can't :-)
It wasn't for me and now is! Please restore it whenever you'd like. My bad.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

makila wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:39 pm From The Athletic, good read, thought worth sharing.

Josh Dobbs’ rise to NFL prominence is hard to believe — unless you know him
Alec Lewis Nov 17, 2023
WOW!! Very impressive. I'm surprised he is playing football instead of working in the space program. Our gain. :govikes:
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:31 am
makila wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:39 pm From The Athletic, good read, thought worth sharing.

Josh Dobbs’ rise to NFL prominence is hard to believe — unless you know him
Alec Lewis Nov 17, 2023
WOW!! Very impressive. I'm surprised he is playing football instead of working in the space program. Our gain. :govikes:
Yeah his academic accolades are impressive. I am familiar with the course work, having taken the same ones. I can't imagine taking ordinary dif.eq. in high school. It's normally a junior level math class in most programs (300/3000), for strong math students.

Very wow!
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Who Starts?

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Time for Hall to start...
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:11 am Time for Hall to start...
:roll:

I wish the emoji's eyeballs rolled so hard they popped out of it's head.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Cliff wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:54 am
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:11 am Time for Hall to start...

I dont expect him to win many, if any at all. I want to see what we got. Dobbs has shown many teams what he has, and now has showed the Vikings a small sample, Im not impressed. Nor do I think we make the playoffs. If Dobbs keeps throwing the ball up for grabs, I wanna see Hall.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:36 pm

I dont expect him to win many, if any at all. I want to see what we got. Dobbs has shown many teams what he has, and now has showed the Vikings a small sample, Im not impressed. Nor do I think we make the playoffs. If Dobbs keeps throwing the ball up for grabs, I wanna see Hall.
Dobbs looks like he doesn't fully trust what he sees yet, which isn't surprising given he didn't have an offseason with any of his receivers and has had to learn KOC's offense on the fly. So much of playing QB is anticipation and timing, and while Dobbs is progressing through his reads he's holding onto the ball when he might otherwise let it fly if he was more comfortable in the offense. He is also off on some of his passes. That could just be Dobbs and his accuracy, which I admit I know little about in general, or it might be him needing more time to gel with the receivers.

Whatever it is, I'm sure Hall would have many of the same issues. It might be easier to dismiss them if it were Hall instead of Dobbs because Hall is a rookie, but Dobbs has played pretty well given the circumstances. I doubt Hall would be much better if at all and likely would struggle even more once defensive coordinators got more tape on him.

Besides, if Dobbs goes out or gets yanked for any reason you're not going to see Hall go in - you're going to see Mullens go in. No way KOC would pin whatever thin hopes the Vikings have at making the playoffs, much less winning games when there, on Hall.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

And if Hall has a great game and that a poor game do we put Dobbs back in?
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:17 pm

Dobbs looks like he doesn't fully trust what he sees yet, which isn't surprising given he didn't have an offseason with any of his receivers and has had to learn KOC's offense on the fly. So much of playing QB is anticipation and timing, and while Dobbs is progressing through his reads he's holding onto the ball when he might otherwise let it fly if he was more comfortable in the offense. He is also off on some of his passes. That could just be Dobbs and his accuracy, which I admit I know little about in general, or it might be him needing more time to gel with the receivers.

Whatever it is, I'm sure Hall would have many of the same issues. It might be easier to dismiss them if it were Hall instead of Dobbs because Hall is a rookie, but Dobbs has played pretty well given the circumstances. I doubt Hall would be much better if at all and likely would struggle even more once defensive coordinators got more tape on him.

Besides, if Dobbs goes out or gets yanked for any reason you're not going to see Hall go in - you're going to see Mullens go in. No way KOC would pin whatever thin hopes the Vikings have at making the playoffs, much less winning games when there, on Hall.
So what team do you guys think will make the Playoffs in place of the Vikings? ...(who by the way currently have an 80% chance of making the playoffs)
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:27 am
VikingLord wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:17 pm Besides, if Dobbs goes out or gets yanked for any reason you're not going to see Hall go in - you're going to see Mullens go in. No way KOC would pin whatever thin hopes the Vikings have at making the playoffs, much less winning games when there, on Hall.
So what team do you guys think will make the Playoffs in place of the Vikings? ...(who by the way currently have an 80% chance of making the playoffs)
I actually think the Vikings chances of making the playoffs are pretty good right now if Dobbs remains the starting QB. Dobbs improves some aspects at the QB position (increased mobility and ability to extend plays) while others are worse (slower processing the field and poorer timing on some throws which leads to accuracy issues).

However, as to why I wrote the text you highlighted, when boiled down the Vikings are in that group of teams in terms of overall talent level and ability to execute week-in-and-week-out that continue to have major flaws and fairly obvious problems that for the Vikings again reared their head last Sunday. The Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Commanders, Rams or even Packers could all easily take that spot. The Vikings start playing like that again and that 80% chance you parroted will drop faster than the temp in Minnesota after a major snowstorm comes through in December.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Dobbs reminds me a little of Joe Webb and how he started a game on a Tuesday and played great in his 1st start for an upset victory. I'm not knocking either player they both played a long time in the NFL compared to the average player but the expectations are similar. The article, I posted a link below, its funny and sad at the same time. It said this Joe Webb was a cult hero for leading the beleaguered Vikings past the Philadelphia Eagles on a random Tuesday night. But he promptly turned into a pumpkin when Minnesota tried turning to him in a 2012 playoff game. Dobbs is the current cult hero.
https://zonecoverage.com/2023/minnesota ... he-moment/
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:52 am
VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:27 am

I actually think the Vikings chances of making the playoffs are pretty good right now if Dobbs remains the starting QB. Dobbs improves some aspects at the QB position (increased mobility and ability to extend plays) while others are worse (slower processing the field and poorer timing on some throws which leads to accuracy issues).

However, as to why I wrote the text you highlighted, when boiled down the Vikings are in that group of teams in terms of overall talent level and ability to execute week-in-and-week-out that continue to have major flaws and fairly obvious problems that for the Vikings again reared their head last Sunday. The Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Commanders, Rams or even Packers could all easily take that spot. The Vikings start playing like that again and that 80% chance you parroted will drop faster than the temp in Minnesota after a major snowstorm comes through in December.
Well, last night's game against the Bears has shown me that the Vikings chances of making the playoffs with Dobbs as QB just sank like the Titanic. That was ugly. Four bad picks, panicky decisions, and inaccuracy helped the Bears get their first division in in 13 tries against our Vikings at US Bank Stadium.

If THAT version of Dobbs or anyone else is under center, this could easily turn into a 6-11 season that ends with a 7-game losing streak.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:09 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:52 am

Well, last night's game against the Bears has shown me that the Vikings chances of making the playoffs with Dobbs as QB just sank like the Titanic. That was ugly. Four bad picks, panicky decisions, and inaccuracy helped the Bears get their first division in in 13 tries against our Vikings at US Bank Stadium.

If THAT version of Dobbs or anyone else is under center, this could easily turn into a 6-11 season that ends with a 7-game losing streak.
Dobbs had a terrible night, no question, but two of those picks hit the WRs in the hands if I recall. He had finally made pretty passes and the WRs couldn't catch them. Can't really put that on him.

Anyway your main point stands, they won't make the playoffs if that version of Dobbs starts for the Vikings.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

I'd like to see one more week of Dobbs after the bye week and (hopefully) with JJ. If he still screws the pooch, I'm ready to see what Hall has to offer...
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I'd rather see Dobbs than Mullen, and Hall over both. We have no idea what Hall can do because of the concussion. And KO will start Mullens agaisnt the Raiders.