Trade Window And Official Free Agency Begins!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StpViking
Starter

Re: Trade Window And Official Free Agency Begins!

Post by StpViking »

Kline is an alright pick up, I can't seem to find any film breakdown of his work on youtube. I just hope our scout team did the right thing.

Above all, this gives the Vikings flexibility for the draft. It would be good to get another OL, but the team is not married to it. The saying goes if you are drafting for need, you have already failed the draft. If some blue chip prospect drops to Number 18, it would be a great pick up.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

^To that point, I think if a blue-chipper is there, the Vikings might trade back a few spots to accumulate another pick. Some team will undoubtedly want to beat everyone else to player and trading up will be a way to do that. I just don't see any way how the Vikings can ignore the offensive line with their 1st round pick and still be successful in 2019. I say this given how the position group fared during free agency...Even though it's still FA season, they're still short 2 or 3 quality starters in my opinion.

Further, of the guys who are blue chip type prospects that may fall that far, I think it would either be a LB (Bush or White), a TE (Hockenson) or DT (Ed Oliver). All of those guys I would love to see be a Vikings because I think all will be studs...so unless Spielman feels he can take one of those guys and then trade back into the 1st or nab another pick in the early 2nd by giving up valuable draft capital later in the form of picks later in draft, while still getting 2 Oline starters in this draft, I just don't see how they can expect to improve anything on offense.

Unless Zubiak's scheme (which is great and proven) and Zubiak as an Oline coach is much better than we even know, I just feel strong with that conviction if Minnesota wants to get this team to the Super Bowl.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I can see Rick trading back a little and grabbing Lindstrom in the 1st. I can also see Fant falling to the 2nd and Rick trading back up for him. I've seen Fant as a 1st round pick but I think he's a good candidate for a Cook-like slide due to off field issues, rawness and poor blocking. He's Rick's type of player though, crazy athletic with a SPARQ that's off the charts.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

I've always preferred Hockenson, but this team definitely needs another dynamic option in the passing game.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
2h
The #Vikings may not be done adding free agents on their O-line. Former #Jaguars C Tyler Shatley is in Minnesota for a visit today, source said. Started 15 games over past 3 seasons, also can play guard and still only 27.

Jones must be looking to sign with another team. Can't say that I blame him.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:45 am Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
2h
The #Vikings may not be done adding free agents on their O-line. Former #Jaguars C Tyler Shatley is in Minnesota for a visit today, source said. Started 15 games over past 3 seasons, also can play guard and still only 27.

Jones must be looking to sign with another team. Can't say that I blame him.
By the sounds of it, he's a very similar player to Jones. Just a depth signing here that has versatility
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Beetween this guy and Kline, I really like how these depth signings are guys that have a good deal of experience. When they fill out the Oline through the draft, having these guys as depth and maybe 1 as a starter here and there, it's going to be pretty big. I'm liking the overhaul so far...it's not just a matter of who they get in the draft.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:25 am Beetween this guy and Kline, I really like how these depth signings are guys that have a good deal of experience. When they fill out the Oline through the draft, having these guys as depth and maybe 1 as a starter here and there, it's going to be pretty big. I'm liking the overhaul so far...it's not just a matter of who they get in the draft.
I will say, Kline isnt going to be a depth piece. He's going to end up starting at RG unless there is a drastic change in the draft.

Our line next year for starters will consist of either (I'm guessing):

LT- Reiff/O'Neill
LG- Rookie/Elflein
C- Elflein/Rookie
RG- Kline
RT- O'Neill/Reiff

So in this situation, we draft either a LG or a center early.

OR

LT- O'Neill
LG- Reiff
C- Elflein
RG- Kline
RT- Rookie

Here we draft a tackle early and kick Reiff into guard.

-I can just about guarantee this wont be the only offensive lineman we draft this year. Spielman could surprise us and take two early or just one early and one mid-round. We'll see. Either way, I'm fine with either situation.

The best part about the Kline signing is that we now go into the draft with plenty more options. What I mean by that is, we can take a center, guard or tackle early and adjust the OL accordingly. Where if we didnt sign Kline, we would have not just one massive hole at guard but two which would force us to probably take a guard. This is a top heavy tackle class and a middle round-heavy guard class so this is a great move by Spielman because no matter what OL falls on your lap position wise, if he is high on your board you can pull the trigger and you arent forced to pick a position because it's such a high need. You can pick based on pure talent alone instead of position and let the rest figure itself out.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:53 am
PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:25 am Beetween this guy and Kline, I really like how these depth signings are guys that have a good deal of experience. When they fill out the Oline through the draft, having these guys as depth and maybe 1 as a starter here and there, it's going to be pretty big. I'm liking the overhaul so far...it's not just a matter of who they get in the draft.
I will say, Kline isnt going to be a depth piece. He's going to end up starting at RG unless there is a drastic change in the draft.

LT- Reiff/O'Neill
LG- Rookie/Elflein
C- Elflein/Rookie
RG- Kline
RT- O'Neill/Reiff

OR

LT- O'Neill
LG- Reiff
C- Elflein
RG- Kline
RT- Rookie

-I can just about guarantee this wont be the only offensive lineman we draft this year. Spielman could surprise us and take two early or just one early and one mid-round. We'll see. Either way, I'm fine with either situation.

The best part about the Kline signing is that we now go into the draft with plenty more options. What I mean by that is, we can take a center, guard or tackle early and adjust the OL accordingly. Where if we didnt sign Kline, we would have not just one massive hole at guard but two which would force us to probably take a guard. This is a top heavy tackle class and a middle round-heavy guard class so this is a great move by Spielman because no matter what OL falls on your lap position wise, if he is high on your board you can pull the trigger and you arent forced to pick a position because it's such a high need. You can pick based on pure talent alone instead of position and let the rest figure itself out.
I agree. And in regards to this being a top heavy tackle draft...a lot of those guys are pretty versatile and may end up playing guard in the NFL. At least, those that are projected to be drafted in the mid to late 1st round.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:22 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:53 am

LT- Reiff/O'Neill
LG- Rookie/Elflein
C- Elflein/Rookie
RG- Kline
RT- O'Neill/Reiff

OR

LT- O'Neill
LG- Reiff
C- Elflein
RG- Kline
RT- Rookie

I agree. And in regards to this being a top heavy tackle draft...a lot of those guys are pretty versatile and may end up playing guard in the NFL. At least, those that are projected to be drafted in the mid to late 1st round.
Agreed. There’s a few I don’t see switching to guard but guys like Risner and Ford I can see
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:48 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Agreed. There’s a few I don’t see switching to guard but guys like Risner and Ford I can see
Who do you see as the true Tackles in this draft? How many are there?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

fiestavike wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:46 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:48 pm

Jawaan Taylor is the premiere tackle. Andre Dillard is probably 1b, but needs a bit more coaching. Little projects as a tackle, but is raw.

Jonah Williams, Dalton Risner and Kaleb McGary played tackle in college, but project more as a guard in the NFL.

As an aside, you'll notice this is 6 guys I just mentioned and all of them with first round potential and is barely even close to being the whole list of solid prospects. The good news is that the Vikings will have their chance at a very good prospect on the Oline at #18, regardless if some teams draft Oline ahead of them. There's also the potential to grab some of these guys by trading back into the 1st or some falling to the 2nd round, though I'm not sure how many will. And then there's still a lot of talent projected to go in the 2nd round, so this is why you can see that some of us aren't too concerned that they didn't break the bank for a FA. It makes much more sense to draft a guy and probably two. Cheaper, younger and better.

And the great thing is, I left off some guys that are 1st round potential, but not tackles. Cody Ford, Bradbury, Lindstrom, McCoy..This is seriously a DEEP offensive line class. I'm excited how this is setting up.

And I've seen just about all of these guys get mocked to the Vikings in one draft or another. :lol:
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

I wonder if GB or DET would allow Montez Sweat to fall all the way down to 18? Look at what this coaching staff did for Danielle Hunter's NFL career. Sweat is somehow an even faster, more athletic version of Hunter. Would any of the NFC north team take a risk and allow Zimmer's staff to have both Hunter and Sweat come off the edge? Highly unlikely.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:36 pm I've always preferred Hockenson, but this team definitely needs another dynamic option in the passing game.
We have 2 good WRs and then nothing. I'd prefer a legit deep threat. And a TE that can at least move.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:50 pm
fiestavike wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:46 pm

Jawaan Taylor is the premiere tackle. Andre Dillard is probably 1b, but needs a bit more coaching. Little projects as a tackle, but is raw.

Jonah Williams, Dalton Risner and Kaleb McGary played tackle in college, but project more as a guard in the NFL.

As an aside, you'll notice this is 6 guys I just mentioned and all of them with first round potential and is barely even close to being the whole list of solid prospects. The good news is that the Vikings will have their chance at a very good prospect on the Oline at #18, regardless if some teams draft Oline ahead of them. There's also the potential to grab some of these guys by trading back into the 1st or some falling to the 2nd round, though I'm not sure how many will. And then there's still a lot of talent projected to go in the 2nd round, so this is why you can see that some of us aren't too concerned that they didn't break the bank for a FA. It makes much more sense to draft a guy and probably two. Cheaper, younger and better.

And the great thing is, I left off some guys that are 1st round potential, but not tackles. Cody Ford, Bradbury, Lindstrom, McCoy..This is seriously a DEEP offensive line class. I'm excited how this is setting up.

That's a good summary. I agree, there seem to really only be two true Tackles in this draft, but tons of interior help.
And I've seen just about all of these guys get mocked to the Vikings in one draft or another. :lol:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins