march 9 is the kalil deadline

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: march 9 is the kalil deadline

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote:Just wondering anybody think that Clemmings could be moving to left tackle this year? Nobody has talked about him much and if Phil comes back....
Sweet Jesus I hope not.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Just saying DP you never know. He's young and with some decent coaching.
He defiantly didn't have great year this year. You never know what the coaching staff is thinking.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote:Just saying DP you never know. He's young and with some decent coaching.
He defiantly didn't have great year this year. You never know what the coaching staff is thinking.
The coaches tried him at guard, decided he wasn't a good fit there. Moved him (back) to right tackle. He was awful at right tackle. He's never played left tackle before (was a RT at Pitt). Moving him to left tackle would make as much sense as moving him to tight end. OK, that's a bit much but you get the idea. It would be a bloodbath. Teddy would get mauled more than he did LAST year. If they did that I suppose it wouldn't matter to me as once I saw him at LT I'd have a psychotic break and I'm sure the ward I'd be moved to wouldn't allow me to watch the games on account that it'd set me off into a profanity-laced tirade and disturb the other patients.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

If they are giving Sparano a blank check in terms of making the personnel decisions, which I hope they do for the most part, then I wouldn't be surprised at anything we might see.
I really hope Fusco gets moved back to the RT side, and that's all his issue was.
As for the LT, if Clemmings wins the job legitly, great. But I seriously hope he's competing against one of those studs in the draft along with Kalil, if it happens.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think LT will either be a FA or early pick.. unless the fired OL coach had a
real option in Cirles or Shepard and couldn't figure it out...IMO Shepard had great
push when he came in but I know LT has to be able to move sideways to beat
speed rushers as well..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Do people really think there's a good chance Kalil isn't starting for us this season? I mean, maybe I'm the only one that would be pretty shocked if he's not.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote:Do people really think there's a good chance Kalil isn't starting for us this season? I mean, maybe I'm the only one that would be pretty shocked if he's not.
There is a lot of sport writers who think he is expendable especially at what he is making now.

Also a lot of writers think that Davidson was a lot of the OLines problems.

Example Hunter and Clemmings was equal talent on the draft board. They are saying look how much Hunter improved but Clemmings struggled over the season. In fact the whole OL struggled all season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Do people really think there's a good chance Kalil isn't starting for us this season? I mean, maybe I'm the only one that would be pretty shocked if he's not.
I'll be pretty surprised if he's not the starter at left tackle.

As for Clemmings, I think his struggles were predictable. The book on him coming out of school was that he was a raw, athletic player with significant technique issues that would need a lot of coaching. Basically, he was a "high ceiling, low floor" prospect. It's really not surprising that a player like that would struggle when asked to start in his first year as a pro. Typically, he wouldn't be asked to start in his first season.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

The Vikings’ two biggest (and therefore, most prohibitive) contracts belong to Mike Wallace and Matt Kalil, both due $11.5M each. Both of these numbers are very likely to change, not by release, but by restructure. Both contracts have nothing in the way of guarantees, so there is a lot of room for negotiation, and with a couple of key reorganizations we could double our cap number this year. Further, there are tricks involving signing bonuses, back/frontloading etc. that can put a team in a flexible salary cap position. We already have $20M to work with and we don’t have much work to do.

http://purpleptsd.com/2016/02/03/footba ... g-players/
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote: There is a lot of sport writers who think he is expendable especially at what he is making now.

Also a lot of writers think that Davidson was a lot of the OLines problems.

Example Hunter and Clemmings was equal talent on the draft board. They are saying look how much Hunter improved but Clemmings struggled over the season. In fact the whole OL struggled all season.
You're comparing an OL to a DE? And one is a guy that only played offense for two years prior? All things are not equal. There's a good chance the best OL coach ever wouldn't have greatly improved Clemmings any more than Davidson did. Players develop at different levels. But to think Clemmings can start at left tackle or be as good as Kalil is this coming season...it's just an interesting perspective. I'm pretty sure Clemmings' future is at RT. Maybe as a starter if he can improve/season (on the bench) behind Loadholt in 1-3 years.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I totally expect Kalil to start next season, unless some draft pick or bench guy just blows Sparano's mind.
Can't really compare Hunter's situation to Clemmings. It's arguable..but left tackle may be the most physical demanding job on the field next to CB. That demand is why I doubt Kalil has much more upward tragectory to his career. His knees make me think a solid average is as good as it will get fr him :(
I certainly don't expect to see him replaced in a haphazzard manner...like the Winfield was, for example. I could see the trying to restructure him while drafting some other options. If any pan out in the next 2-3yrs, I could see Kalil losing his starting job if not outright released.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote: You're comparing an OL to a DE? And one is a guy that only played offense for two years prior? All things are not equal. There's a good chance the best OL coach ever wouldn't have greatly improved Clemmings any more than Davidson did. Players develop at different levels. But to think Clemmings can start at left tackle or be as good as Kalil is this coming season...it's just an interesting perspective. I'm pretty sure Clemmings' future is at RT. Maybe as a starter if he can improve/season (on the bench) behind Loadholt in 1-3 years.
The article was actually comparing Patterson Vs Davidsons accomplishments this year on offense & Defense. That's why I mentioned Hunter & Clemmings.

Before Clemmings got drafted a lot of sports analysts was saying he could play left tackle.

http://profootballspot.com/index.html/n ... ard-r9392/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... kle-in-nfl

That's why I was asking if there was a chance him getting moved to the left. Right now I would think everyone's position on the OL is open.
I probably do agree with you DP he will probably end up on the right side.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

I don't want him to be, but I'm resigned to the fact he will be. The problem is I don't think they have anyone else on the roster they would be comfortable starting if they cut Kalil and don't find an upgrade in the draft or FA. The timing of the deadline pretty much forces the vikes to roll with Matt or take a leap of faith that they will find somone of equal or better ability. For a team expected to be a playoff contender that's a big gamble.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

From Goessling's mailbag this morning:
@GoesslingESPN: The left tackle has an $11.1 million option for next season, though the Vikings can cut him without penalty by the third day of the league year. I'd be really surprised if he's not back in 2016, though. He was better last season (though probably still not where you'd like him to be after four years and a Pro Bowl rookie season), and the Vikings will likely want to see what new offensive line coach Tony Sparano does with the fourth overall pick in the 2012 draft. That's the other piece of this equation: Kalil was the fourth overall pick. Giving up on players you took fourth overall is not a decision made lightly, and though I'm not convinced Kalil will get the kind of contract to keep him around after this season, I expect he'll be back in 2016. The Vikings will want to exhaust their options before moving on from Kalil.
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... d-peterson
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Good read DP
Maybe Tony will up Kalil game!
Was also wondering how Thielen will recover from his injury. Any news about him?

The draft can't get here fast enough.