Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Here is what was reported by Mortensen. VERY interesting!!!
ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on NFL Insiders that it's "very possible" Adrian Peterson returns to play for the Vikings this season.
Mort initially reported the Vikings had essentially washed their hands of A.P. Per Mortensen now, the team is "softening" its stance. Peterson should be picked up in all 12- and 14-team leagues this week in anticipation of a potential return during the fantasy playoffs. Peterson would rejoin the team with fresh legs, and likely render rookie Jerick McKinnon a change-of-pace back
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Mort hasn't had credibility since the 90's. :lol:

But I do think it's very likely AP rejoins the team soon. I felt that way all along. Time usually has a way of calming these things down. I never understood why AP and his lawyer were so strong on the stance of proving innonence as opposed to bargaining a deal in the first place. It's his first offense. Easy money.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

what AP did was absolutely 100% wrong and he should be punished. im a biased Vikings fan but I think he should be suspended the rest of the year for what he did even though I think it was more over doing it than malicious. after that just leave it alone and let him play.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

hibbingviking wrote:what AP did was absolutely 100% wrong and he should be punished. im a biased Vikings fan but I think he should be suspended the rest of the year for what he did even though I think it was more over doing it than malicious. after that just leave it alone and let him play.
Based off of what though? Emotion?

My curiousity is with Goodell's views on the suspension, or lack thereof. There's no precedence for this and there's also the possibility that Goodell is still on his soapbox trying to send messages (I forget if they relieved him of determind suspension lengths). It's usually multiple offenders that get 8 or more games and even with the readjusted domestic violence suspensions, the first offense is 6 games. AP will be at 8 games missed possibly by the time the deal is reached.

My guess is he gets to play fairly soon after the deal is reached, but he's fined x amount of dollars since he's been getting paid this whole time. That should suffice, in my opinion.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

cstelter wrote: Sorry-- not trying to wage a religious war here-- just a couple thoughts....

Christ said 'Father forgive them for they know not what they do...' Not 'Father, forgive them as long as they are contrite and repent'.

Contrition/repentance is for the benefit of the sinner, not the forgiver.

Forgiving someone who has *not* repented is difficult, but better than offering a conditional forgiveness such as you describe. I used to have that attitude, and it is certainly easier to forgive someone who is both contrite and repentant. But what I've come to learn is that it is *not* a condition on the ability to forgive.

I think you are trying to talk about atonement (being 'at one' with AP agian-- being in his corner, supporting him cheering for him, etc.). For this I do think contrition/repentance is key. But that is a step beyond forgiveness IMO. Here we are talking restoration, etc.

But you and I are in complete agreement I think that we both would want Adrian to change for the better through this ordeal rather than simply using any outcome to become more resolute in his position that he did nothing wrong. For me to embrace him as the face of the franchise again, and defend him and really cheer for him, I need to see that change and growth and contrition and repentance.

But don't sell forgiveness short. Forgiveness is for *us*-- not him-- it lets us breath not him. Contrition/repentance is for him-- it lets him grow/improve-- ultimately it will be his oxygen. The combination is atonement-- I'd really like to get back to that point, but we'll have to see how things play out-- but regardless of his actions, I can still forgive and be better off for it.
Ah ... I don't want to get into a religious battle with you, either ... mainly because you are correct. I wrote before I thought. :D

You are exactly right -- this is more appropriately categorized as atonement, or restoration of relationship. Of course, there are tons of examples in the bible -- Old Testament and New Testament, including the synoptic gospels -- where God turns a deaf ear to those who try to restore their relationship with Him, but whose hearts aren't sincere and contrite. The same holds true for AP and Vikings fans (not that we're God, but you know what I mean).

So thank you for correcting my language. I mean to say it will be very hard for me -- and many Vikings fans -- to condone Adrian Peterson's return to the Vikings if he hasn't had a sincere change of heart.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Based off of what though? Emotion?

My curiousity is with Goodell's views on the suspension, or lack thereof. There's no precedence for this and there's also the possibility that Goodell is still on his soapbox trying to send messages (I forget if they relieved him of determind suspension lengths). It's usually multiple offenders that get 8 or more games and even with the readjusted domestic violence suspensions, the first offense is 6 games. AP will be at 8 games missed possibly by the time the deal is reached.

My guess is he gets to play fairly soon after the deal is reached, but he's fined x amount of dollars since he's been getting paid this whole time. That should suffice, in my opinion.
The proximity to the ray Rice debacle and the precedence/state of Goodell's mind, that you mentioned, may have played a bigger role in how long this has dragged on before any plea deal.

Assuming AD actually listens to anyone, maybe his lawyers advised this route until things got further down the road from that mess.

tomorrow will be interesting.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The Breeze wrote: The proximity to the ray Rice debacle and the precedence/state of Goodell's mind, that you mentioned, may have played a bigger role in how long this has dragged on before any plea deal.

Assuming AD actually listens to anyone, maybe his lawyers advised this route until things got further down the road from that mess.

tomorrow will be interesting.
Y'know, this is a great point.

I've been scratching my heads for weeks, wondering why Peterson's team didn't just negotiate a plea bargain and get on with life. What you're saying makes sense.

If he'd taken the plea right away, Goodell might have felt compelled to give him a lengthy suspension because the Ray Rice episode was still fresh on everybody's mind. By doing what he did, he got paid a million a week to sit home and do nothing, and separated himself from the Rice incident. Now he may be able to resume playing with a far less severe punishment than he would have received back in September.

Sometimes I wish I were a fly on the wall when lawyers meet with clients like Peterson. It's actually kind of fascinating.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Yeah, I just assumed Peterson was adamant on clearing his name completely as opposed to bargaining a plea deal, which ultimately proves he's guilty. I think he felt he had a good chance of convincing a judge that he's "innocent" of malicious intent, therefore nothing receiving much of a penalty, if anything at all.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Y'know, this is a great point.

I've been scratching my heads for weeks, wondering why Peterson's team didn't just negotiate a plea bargain and get on with life. What you're saying makes sense.

If he'd taken the plea right away, Goodell might have felt compelled to give him a lengthy suspension because the Ray Rice episode was still fresh on everybody's mind. By doing what he did, he got paid a million a week to sit home and do nothing, and separated himself from the Rice incident. Now he may be able to resume playing with a far less severe punishment than he would have received back in September.

Sometimes I wish I were a fly on the wall when lawyers meet with clients like Peterson. It's actually kind of fascinating.
yeah, and at this point it would not surprise me if someone from Goodell's office helped form a plan. Not saying it's so, just would not find it incredible.

He's kept his mouth shut the whole time...which to me says somebody a lot smarter than he has his ear and maybe that's a good thing for him to embrace. Like maybe he's comprehending the gravity of his situation.

As a fan I want to see him on the field again while he's still relevant. Everything else just makes me shake my head and wonder what's really going on.
GQVikesFan
Rookie

Post by GQVikesFan »

NFL_DRAFT_Bites @NFLDraftBites · 16h 16 hours ago

Fantasy note, Adam Schefter picked up Adrian Peterson in his fantasy league. Schefty has a few close contacts in AP's Camp
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I don't really care if A.P. ever plays for us again..

The child abuse thing was bad enough and then the weed smoking and possible weird things
going on with his charities as well.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I would still welcome him back. I don't think he's past forgiveness. If he wants to stay longer than this year, he'll need to reduce his salary, but we're paying him for this year anyways. I can only imagine that replanting Peterson and Rudolph in this offense would be positive for a playoff run.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Yeah, nothing wrong with whipping a 4 year old till he bleeds. Do you think the kid even knew what the heck was going on, or why his dad (if he even knew it was his dad) was beating the hell out of him? But the Wilf's, being the money whores they are, will have him back on the field the second the NFL lets them.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Yeah, nothing wrong with whipping a 4 year old till he bleeds. Do you think the kid even knew what the heck was going on, or why his dad (if he even knew it was his dad) was beating the hell out of him? But the Wilf's, being the money whores they are, will have him back on the field the second the NFL lets them.
As mentioned before, this is how Adrian was treated as well along with many other NFL players. However, Adrian was dumb enough to think that in today's world it was still acceptable. I truly believe he never wanted to physically hurt his child.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

jackal wrote:I don't really care if A.P. ever plays for us again..

The child abuse thing was bad enough and then the weed smoking and possible weird things
going on with his charities as well.

What weed smoking? If he did in fact smoke weed he would be in jail right now. Unless you know something the courts don't. Not trying to be a smartypants, I'm just sick and tired of the court of public opinion convicting people of stuff that hasn't even happened yet. This is getting out of hand