Young Theodore Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 21 Year Old Ted Bridgewater

Post by Purple Reign »

dead_poet wrote: This is an important stat. However I'd like some context, specifically how many of those completions resulted in a first down? A quarterback could post those stats after checking down to a RB well short of the first-down market, which would change the perception of that stat and Bridewater's perceived efficiency.
Out of the 9 completions, 6 went for a 1st down/td. There was also a sack on 3rd down that doesn't show up in the passing stats. The only incompletion was on the 1st series of the game.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet wrote: This is an important stat. However I'd like some context, specifically how many of those completions resulted in a first down? A quarterback could post those stats after checking down to a RB well short of the first-down market, which would change the perception of that stat and Bridewater's perceived efficiency.

Good Point. I remember several 3rd and long situations so I thought the stat spoke for itself. Here's all the passing plays on 3rd down (1st downs in green). The Vikings have to work on being in better situations on 3rd down. Way too many 3rd and 10+.

3-11-MIN 19 (14:21) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass incomplete short left to 84-C.Patterson
3-10-MIN 38 (4:51) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short left to 44-M.Asiata to MIN 48 for 10 yards (39-D.Amerson).
3-17-MIN 41 (2:52) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short right to 44-M.Asiata to WAS 48 for 11 yards (26-B.Breeland).
3-14-MIN 29 (12:12) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater sacked at MIN 22 for -7 yards (97-J.Hatcher).
3-8-MIN 16 (8:07) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short right to 86-C.Ford ran ob at MIN 31 for 15 yards.
3-19-MIN 33 (5:05) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short left to 85-R.Ellison to MIN 35 for 2 yards (56-P.Riley).
3-4-MIN 45 (2:00) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short right to 86-C.Ford to WAS 47 for 8 yards (31-B.Meriweather).
3-4-WAS 41 (1:20) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short left to 86-C.Ford to WAS 39 for 2 yards (25-R.Clark).
3-6-WAS 20 (:41) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass deep left to 86-C.Ford for 20 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
3-10-MIN 43 (7:22) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass deep right to 17-J.Wright pushed ob at WAS 36 for 21 yards (31-B.Meriweather).
3-5-WAS 10 (5:22) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short left to 15-G.Jennings to WAS 4 for 6 yards (26-B.Breeland).
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

808vikingsfan wrote:Good Point. I remember several 3rd and long situations so I thought the stat spoke for itself. Here's all the passing plays on 3rd down (1st downs in green). The Vikings have to work on being in better situations on 3rd down. Way too many 3rd and 10+.

3-11-MIN 19 (14:21) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass incomplete short left to 84-C.Patterson
3-10-MIN 38 (4:51) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short left to 44-M.Asiata to MIN 48 for 10 yards (39-D.Amerson).
3-17-MIN 41 (2:52) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short right to 44-M.Asiata to WAS 48 for 11 yards (26-B.Breeland).
3-14-MIN 29 (12:12) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater sacked at MIN 22 for -7 yards (97-J.Hatcher).
3-8-MIN 16 (8:07) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short right to 86-C.Ford ran ob at MIN 31 for 15 yards.
3-19-MIN 33 (5:05) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short left to 85-R.Ellison to MIN 35 for 2 yards (56-P.Riley).
3-4-MIN 45 (2:00) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short right to 86-C.Ford to WAS 47 for 8 yards (31-B.Meriweather).
3-4-WAS 41 (1:20) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short left to 86-C.Ford to WAS 39 for 2 yards (25-R.Clark).
3-6-WAS 20 (:41) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass deep left to 86-C.Ford for 20 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
3-10-MIN 43 (7:22) (Shotgun) 5-T.Bridgewater pass deep right to 17-J.Wright pushed ob at WAS 36 for 21 yards (31-B.Meriweather).
3-5-WAS 10 (5:22) 5-T.Bridgewater pass short left to 15-G.Jennings to WAS 4 for 6 yards (26-B.Breeland).
Thanks for that. I also think it's clear the offense needs to do a better job on first and second down to make third down more manageable for Teddy. Needing an average of nearly 10 yards on third down is tough for any quarterback. Given those stats, Teddy did a good job (especially since I remember pass protection being an issue on a couple of those). He's been pretty good on third downs this season from what I remember. I wonder if anyone can find a stat on Teddy's third-down percentage/efficiency compared to other starting signal-callers.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

3 very solid games, 2 horrific performances. I guess that's about all we should be expected from a (talented) 1st year QB getting his feet wet.

I'm excited that he's our QB and has a chance to grow into something special before our eyes but he's certainly not there yet.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Nice article on what Bridgewater does well. I've been saying this over and over, I love Teddy's pocket presence.

Film Room: Colin Kaepernick and Teddy Bridgewater

Subtlety and the ability to manage a pocket under pressure while reading coverage down the field appears to be something that is more of a natural trait than something that can be coached. Kaepernick simply struggles in those areas and it limits his upside as a quarterback.
That is who Kaepernick has been since he entered the league, whereas this year's rookie class has given us a prime example of a player who is the complete opposite. Teddy Bridgewater of the Minnesota Vikings has had a quietly impressive rookie season to this point. His production has been significantly hampered by the offense around him and by his inability to accurately throw deep passes for relatively easy big plays, but his performance from the pocket has been consistently outstanding.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Good read and input regarding teddys deep balls.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2257 ... ssing-game
Glaring misses occurred at Louisville too; it wasn’t just contested passes that receivers failed to reel in. As far as weaknesses went for Bridgewater as a prospect, inaccuracy down the field stood near the top of the list.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

808vikingsfan wrote:Nice article on what Bridgewater does well. I've been saying this over and over, I love Teddy's pocket presence.

Film Room: Colin Kaepernick and Teddy Bridgewater

Great article. Thanks for posting the link.

I still believe that any of Bridgewater's shortcomings can be overcome with experience. That said, there are already plenty of things he does well.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

allday1991 wrote:Good read and input regarding teddys deep balls.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2257 ... ssing-game
The first stills of Teddy moving around in the pocket to help his O-line are a great example of how to help your lineman out by changing the angle . By taking literally like 2 steps he's putting his lineman once again between him and the pass rusher which is where they want to be. That is something Ponder couldn't do and would often panic straight INTO the pressure. I believe you could have replaced every single time the author said "Kaepernick" with Ponder and it wouldn't have skipped a beat. Both QB's panic and move or run in a way that simply makes the angle worse on the O-lineman, both aren't decisive with the football, and neither would stand tall in the pocket buying the time for a WR to come open before instead panic setting in and trying to escape.

The thing that has me so high on Teddy, even if his deepball is so pathetic, is that he gets the mental stuff that top tier QB's like Manning and Brady do. The stuff that doesn't seem to be coachable as the author mentions about Kaepernick and the stuff Bridgewater doesn't get seems to be the things that ARE coachable or will simply get better with more experience and practice.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

How coach-able is this deep ball issue really?
What concerns me is that it's historic with him.....has it never been addressed?

Not the end of the world as far as his success goes....but it seems odd of all things, he has trouble hitting guys wide open downfield. That seems just as mental as stepping around in the pocket. :confused:

I guess the thread title puts it into perspective for me some.....he's only 21. Either way on the deep ball issue it's too soon to say.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

The Breeze wrote:How coach-able is this deep ball issue really?
What concerns me is that it's historic with him.....has it never been addressed?

Not the end of the world as far as his success goes....but it seems odd of all things, he has trouble hitting guys wide open downfield. That seems just as mental as stepping around in the pocket. :confused:

I guess the thread title puts it into perspective for me some.....he's only 21. Either way on the deep ball issue it's too soon to say.
Well, if it's a timing issue (and that seems to be part of it), then I would say it can be corrected through coaching reps and experience.

Quite honestly, I've felt that the Vikings offensive passing game has been slightly off all regular season long, including the short time Cassel was in there.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

losperros wrote:
Well, if it's a timing issue (and that seems to be part of it), then I would say it can be corrected through coaching reps and experience.

Quite honestly, I've felt that the Vikings offensive passing game has been slightly off all regular season long, including the short time Cassel was in there.

It's true. There are several factors that are contributing to the timing of the passing game. New QB, new system, o-line issues, new RB, Rudolph injury, and the receivers themselves.

Patience is a big part of it. Thankfully the defense is keeping them close.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

losperros wrote: Well, if it's a timing issue (and that seems to be part of it), then I would say it can be corrected through coaching reps and experience.

Right, practice makes perfect. Luckily his balls are thrown passed the WR, maybe part of him is gun shy about trying to be more precise and not have the INT. Although he is not afraid to throw in tight coverage from up to 15 yards out. Work on it, and in the meantime, pound the ball. McK/Asiata/Felton can get the defenses stay closer to the LOS, opening up more deep balls.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Not much here. Filler for the bye week.

Jennings praises Bridgewater, tells him to speak up
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Right, practice makes perfect. Luckily his balls are thrown passed the WR, maybe part of him is gun shy about trying to be more precise and not have the INT. Although he is not afraid to throw in tight coverage from up to 15 yards out. Work on it, and in the meantime, pound the ball. McK/Asiata/Felton can get the defenses stay closer to the LOS, opening up more deep balls.
None of which explains struggling at his pro day. When he controls every thing. No issue with being "precise". And no coverage whatsoever. Heck he's throwing to receivers he's been throwing to for how long at Louisville? :confused:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:
None of which explains struggling at his pro day. When he controls every thing. No issue with being "precise". And no coverage whatsoever. Heck he's throwing to receivers he's been throwing to for how long at Louisville? :confused:
Have you ever supported a Viking player?? Who cares about his pro-day. It means nothing. He's winning us games. That's what matters
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri