Vikings @ Rams Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings @ Rams Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Boon wrote: I caught that too, on one play he stood up a defensive end, I was impressed
I did too. A few more screen passes to him and I'll be really happy.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Raptorman wrote:Want to hear something really funny. If the season ended today, the Vikings would be the number one seed in the NFC. Too funny.
Haha yep, after tie breakers (whatever they're worth after 1 game), we're currently holding the #1 seed.

1. Vikings
2. Seahawks
3. Eagles
4. Panthers
5. 49ers
6. Lions

14. Packers
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

I don't think it is going to be to warm this weekend in the twin cities. Here in easter So Dak. later this weekend we are expecting highs in the low 50's for the next several days. You can usually predict TC weather by looking 2 days back to say Sioux Falls.

but on the other note - Vikes only team to not allow a Touchdown in Week 1
Purple Pride till the end.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Don't know if anyone else noticed it, but, the Rams never made it past he Vikings 16 yard line. They had one incursion into the red zone.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=11487232

Mike Ditka's comments on week One the vikings are mentioned about 2/3 of the way through
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote: :point: :point: I sure hope that doesn't happen
Lol why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

AD looked fine to me. He faced a good, swarming defense that was keying on him and I think he's probably still adjusting to Norv's offense. He's being asked to do some things a little differently so there may be an adjustment period. Norv's offense uses more pulling guards and asks Peterson to follow (and rely on) blocking a little more rather than finding a hole and looking for cutback lanes. If I remember correctly, I read that he's probably going to be running outside the tackles more this season, which I'm not sure is necessarily a good thing. We'll see. I think backs are easier to tackle running laterally and I've always thought Peterson was at his best when he could get going upfield quickly.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I would refer you to this.
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... f4a7a38148

Peterson wasn't happy with his performance. He wouldn't specify what he wasn't happy with, but I felt he was implying that he was not happy with his lack of physicality. Admittedly, that was my own criticism so I might be exercising a confirmation bias. This was, IMO, the worst game I have seen him play, but I think it has more to do with rust than declining skills. As I said, I expect to see him running HARD against the Pats.
I've read elsewhere that he wasn't happy with his performance either and I'd expect that since it certainly wasn't anything to write home about. Peterson's never going to be satisfied with 70 or so yards rushing. I agree that there may have been some rust there but I also think everyone is adjusting to the new offense. I'm very interested in seeing how it plays out because I'm not sure it's going to play to his strengths as a runner. It's a lot easier to be physical going upfield, between the tackles, than it is running laterally, following pulling guards, etc. Good blocking is always necessary but I'm not sure it's a great idea to take an upfield, cutback runner like Peterson and direct him outside too often. That seems like relying on the blocking more and on Peterson less, if you know what I mean.

Of course, they may not end up running outside as much as has been said in the media. As I said, I'm curious to see how it works out. I thought he played fine but he's obviously had better games. If that's what we see from Peterson every week I won't be happy but he has some games like that every season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Just to be clear, I'm not basing my criticism on his lack of production at all, just how I evaluated his play.
Understood. :)
I am less concerned about this style not suiting Peterson, I think he will excel in it, and I'm a little embarrassed to say what I really believe he can do this year! To be honest, I never felt that our running game suited him in the past and he still has managed to put up huge numbers. I think he'll be able to hit the hole going full speed a lot more often this year than in years past and barring injury I am expecting his best season yet, which I know is saying something! I can't imagine being a defender and seeing a power sweep play developing with Adrian Peterson hitting the line of scrimmage at full speed. Chris Conte is going to look even worse than he usually does trying to stop that!
I hope you're right. As you can probably tell, my concern is basically with the blockers. I have no doubt Peterson can run a power sweep effectively but I lack trust in the Vikings OL. Maybe I shouldn't but I think they've been overrated for years. When I finally got to watch the Rams game this week, I was frustrated because there were still too many plays where Peterson had to break a tackle at or even before he reached the line of scrimmage. Of course, the Rams deserve some credit for that...

If Peterson does have his best season yet, it might be record-setting. :) That would be sweet!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I agree with you here. Our offensive line has been overrated, however, Fusco looked REALLY good last week and Loadholt/Sullivan were both pretty solid. I expect we continue to see most of our running going to the right, as we used to see it going L behind Hutch and McKinnie. I really hope Kalil can regain his form and that he will at least look better against softer competition than he has against Hali and Quinn the last couple weeks.
I hope so too. Quinn is a tough assignment for any tackle. Thankfully, Kalil won't have to face a player of that caliber every week.
That's why i feel a bit silly making the prediction, but I honestly do believe he will have his best season ever if he stays healthy.
All I can say to that is: :rock:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This isn't directed at any one person, but I find it interesting/frustrating how high some Vikings fans' expectations are for Peterson every year. Sometimes I wonder if people think that because he nearly set the all-time NFL rushing record, that because he's capable of that kind of season, that's the standard and anything less is indicative of a declining running back whose paycheck outweighs his production.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:ya, sure it isn't! :wink:
It isn't! I swear!
I do feel silly about my prediction because it is so extreme, but I really do believe that our blocking scheme and ability the last few years has not been an ideal fit for Peterson as our current system and still produced huge results, so I expect improvement.
It wasn't! I swear! I think there are players that can transcend schemes and just flat-out ball. One of those is Adrian Peterson. Power, zone, whatever, he's going to eat. I'm of the opinion that minor injuries had more to do with his "decline in production" (for him) than his blocking scheme. YMMV.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: It isn't! I swear!
It wasn't! I swear!
:rofl: