Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:All good points, Jim....which just leads to the unfortunate reality of "it is what it is".

I don't think the NFL has anything more than it's own best interests in mind and those are simple equations based on sponsors input IMO.
Too many lawyers.

Amen to that, my friend!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Six games without pay seems about right to me. Peterson plead guilty to reckless assault against a four year old child. Apparently all those statements by Peterson and Hardin about how he didn't do anything wrong and wanted his day in court to be exonerated was just hot air. Maybe they decided those pictures were going to be impossible to explain away.

Under the NFL's new personal conduct policy, first time offenders can get up to six games (or more for aggravated circumstances). What did people expect Godell to do? Reinstate him? Of course he was going to be punished; the only question was how long his suspension would be. The idea that getting paid without playing was any kind of substantive punishment makes no sense to me
Many thought that he might get "time served" for the missed games and then a fine, which would have been a very fair and reasonable solution. The idea behind an unpaid suspension is to punish a player by causing him to miss both playing time with his team and the compensation he would receive for those games, correct? Peterson already missed more than 6 games of playing time. Goodell could have easily said Peterson's punishment was 6 games missed, plus an additional 2 games for "aggravated circumstances" and then fined Peterson a total of 8 game checks and let him come back for the remainder of the season. Instead, for obviously image and money-driven reasons, he's going to make Peterson miss nearly an entire season.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple bruise wrote: I agree with this but would add that I hope that they can trade him somewhere for a draft pick/picks. I hope they can control where he ends up and hopefully out of the NFC. I can just imagine him signing with the Lions and watching him destroy the Vikings for the next 3-4 years. You can bet that he will come back and play with a vengence no matter where he ends up.
Either way I wish him good luck with his family life and his career. I doubt that any player has ever worked harder at his profession as has AD. Every one deserves a 2nd chance.
I just don't see how the Vikings can get anything in trade for AP. They have absolutely zero leverage. He has a mega contract, playing a non-premium position. Other teams know the Vikings will be hard-pressed to keep him. Why on earth would an NFL GM give up a draft pick?

The silver lining in this is the more than $10 million in cap space that will be freed up. Maybe we can use that money to acquire an impact WR or the O-line help we so desperately need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Mothman wrote:Instead, for obviously image and money-driven reasons, he's going to make Peterson miss nearly an entire season.
I don't think anyone will dispute that - that's just the lay of the land in corporate America, the NFL is no different. Goodell's job is to make the NFL as profitable as possible.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Goodell wanted to save his job. He may have now. So we get the shaft twice.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I just don't see how the Vikings can get anything in trade for AP. They have absolutely zero leverage. He has a mega contract, playing a non-premium position. Other teams know the Vikings will be hard-pressed to keep him. Why on earth would an NFL GM give up a draft pick?
To ensure he got Peterson over another GM who might want to sign him.

The Vikes probably can't get much for him but they might get something and, of course, that's probably only possible if Peterson will agree to re-negotiate his contract. If he won't, then cutting him is probably their only realistic choice. If he will, then they should actually consider keeping him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

How The NFL Exploited A Child Abuser To Restore Its Brand

http://deadspin.com/how-the-nfl-exploit ... 1660155478
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

This is what I believe the end of Adrian Peterson as a viking as much as it hurts to say... very sad day to be a viking fan.. Gunna suck seeing him in a different uniform for another team.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Goodell wanted to save his job. He may have now. So we get the shaft twice.

If anything, I think this makes his job shakier. The PLAYERS can't trust him now, and he went against the CBA. He also went against the policy that he created because he #### things up with Ray Rice in the first place. I don't see this as making his job more secure.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: If anything, I think this makes his job shakier. The PLAYERS can't trust him now, and he went against the CBA. He also went against the policy that he created because he #### things up with Ray Rice in the first place. I don't see this as making his job more secure.
His job security doesn't rely on what the players or their union think of him, it relies primarily on how well the owners feel he is serving/protecting their interests.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:How The NFL Exploited A Child Abuser To Restore Its Brand

http://deadspin.com/how-the-nfl-exploit ... 1660155478
I dont like Deadspin and there's irony in one of their writers going on about exploitation (just look at that headline alone!) but there were certainly some excellent points in that editorial. Thanks for the link.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Mothman wrote: His job security doesn't rely on what the players or their union think of him, it relies primarily on how well the owners feel he is serving/protecting their interests.
With that in mind, I think the Vikings have to be cautious in how they respond. If they are seen to be more on the side of Goodell's NFL, then they may have difficulty attracting free agents...
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TomPelissero -- Arbitrator Shyam Das has ruled the NFL can keep Adrian Peterson on the exempt list.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: That seems to be true and I think the current CBA is in place until 2021. However, if Goodell and the league continue down the path they're on, they might want to prepare for a strike and a lost season in 2021 because I suspect the union will drive a much, much harder bargain next time around. Any billionaires out there hoping to start an alternate league? That might be the year to do it.
I thought the NFLPA would drive for a change to that aspect of the CBA after the suspensions of Kevin Williams et. al. back in 2009(?). But they didn't. They were apparently more interested in bigger matters and failed to get around to making material, but much needed, changes to that aspect of life in the NFL. It rears it's ugly head again in this situation.

On another level, I don't think the NFLPA has any real interest in changing this, because if they did they would have made it a part of the current CBA. By not getting involved in handing out punishments, the NFLPA can remain firmly on the side of players without suffering any negative backlash from players or fans. So for them, it's not such a bad thing, especially when the people they'd have to fight to have reinstated are people like Ray Rice or AD (in other words, players only the fans of a single team care about at all). For everyone else, they are either happy to have those players no longer be a threat, happy they are being severely punished for what they did, or indifferent. The NFLPA's calculations, as cold and hard as they are, make perfect sense. Let the unaccountable league play bad cop.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

This seems so completely unfair. I'm a bit aghast.

If like to believe that the team will support him and he will reward them with a team-friendly restructure, but after this latest punch my shades are broken and I've spilled my kool-aid.