Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by dead_poet »

Adrian Peterson's shot at appeal as laughable as NFLPA's feeble swipes at Goodell
None of this is a commentary on the morals of these decisions. It's a statement of the NFL's new world: Don't make the NFL look bad. Don't upset sponsors. Don't do things that make the league look morally bankrupt. God forbid there is another "South Park" episode featuring the "Goodell Bot."

And the second thing we've learned? The union has been obliterated when it comes to the NFL's conduct decisions. Players would be better off driving to the league office and spitting on the front door than having faith in a union that gets a laughable amount of respect from Goodell. At no point was this more clear than when the NFLPA set a "deadline" for the league to take Peterson off of the commissioner's exempt list, or the union threatened to pursue an expedited grievance.

You can bet that elicited laughs and eye-rolls in the NFL offices that day.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/adrian-pet ... 44478.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:'Lack of remorse' could be very subjective.
It's highly subjective and if I remember correctly, Goodell specified a lack of "meaningful remorse". I assume that means "meaningful to Roger Goodell and the NFL's sponsors" (ie: a very public, very high profile apology, perhaps even accompanied by a suitable amount of groveling) because Peterson expressed remorse in his statement in September, in court and after reaching a plea agreement.
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

maembe wrote:It's going to be epic if the NFLPA wins the initial appeal, which they likely will, and Peterson is reinstated. What will the Vikings do?
Haha, what makes you think the NFLPA will win this appeal? There is almost no chance that they win.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Adrian Peterson's shot at appeal as laughable as NFLPA's feeble swipes at Goodell
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/adrian-pet ... 44478.html
Thanks for the link. the line after the last one you quoted interest me:
You can bet that elicited laughs and eye-rolls in the NFL offices that day. That's if the league noticed at all. Goodell and his minions fear the NFLPA and its threats of grievances and appeals the way a circus spectator fears a clown wielding a bucket of confetti.
That seems to be true and I think the current CBA is in place until 2021. However, if Goodell and the league continue down the path they're on, they might want to prepare for a strike and a lost season in 2021 because I suspect the union will drive a much, much harder bargain next time around. Any billionaires out there hoping to start an alternate league? That might be the year to do it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:As much as we all hate this as Vikings fans, especially as it relates to salvaging anything out of this season, this is probably the best thing that could have happened for the Vikings.

If the team had any designs on letting him go after this fiasco, Goodell just made it easy. Nobody in their right mind would blame the Vikings for cutting ties.

As a huge AP fan since Day One, I hate that his Vikings career is likely ending this way. But it's probably time to face the music. Life after Adrian has begun, most likely.

Sadly, you're probably right and I hate that it's ending this way too. It sucks.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote: It's highly subjective and if I remember correctly, Goodell specified a lack of "meaningful remorse". I assume that means "meaningful to Roger Goodell and the NFL's sponsors" (ie: a very public, very high profile apology, perhaps even accompanied by a suitable amount of groveling) because Peterson expressed remorse in his statement in September, in court and after reaching a plea agreement.

I think that's exactly what it means and frankly Peterson should understand that. I think that was Crax's point earlier.

I think Peterson really buys into his own hype to a degree...the hype that has been built since high school. I base that on his comments in general on all topics.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:I think that's exactly what it means and frankly Peterson should understand that. I think that was Crax's point earlier.
The problem I have with that is such a public expression of remorse could have hurt his legal case so he couldn't reasonably be expected to do it prior to the plea agreement. He may have even been encouraged not to do it. When the commissioner refused to take him off the exemption list, he may have been advised against it again for similar reasons ... or maybe he's just too proud to do it. I'm obviously speculating here.
I think Peterson really buys into his own hype to a degree...the hype that has been built since high school. I base that on his comments in general on all topics.
He probably does... I imagine he's been encouraged to believe it for most of his life. It may even be one of the reasons he's been so successful.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote: The problem I have with that is such a public expression of remorse could have hurt his legal case so he couldn't reasonably be expected to do it prior to the plea agreement. He may have even been encouraged not to do it. When the commissioner refused to take him off the exemption list, he may have been advised against it again for similar reasons ... or maybe he's just too proud to do it. I'm obviously speculating here.
He probably does... I imagine he's been encouraged to believe it for most of his life. It may even be one of the reasons he's been so successful.

All good points, Jim....which just leads to the unfortunate reality of "it is what it is".

I don't think the NFL has anything more than it's own best interests in mind and those are simple equations based on sponsors input IMO.
Too many lawyers.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

I'm OK with unloading his bloated contract. Even with him on the team we are still 3 years away from a Superbowl, at which point her would be too old to contribute.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Six games without pay seems about right to me. Peterson plead guilty to reckless assault against a four year old child. Apparently all those statements by Peterson and Hardin about how he didn't do anything wrong and wanted his day in court to be exonerated was just hot air. Maybe they decided those pictures were going to be impossible to explain away.

Under the NFL's new personal conduct policy, first time offenders can get up to six games (or more for aggravated circumstances). What did people expect Godell to do? Reinstate him? Of course he was going to be punished; the only question was how long his suspension would be. The idea that getting paid without playing was any kind of substantive punishment makes no sense to me.

The only thing I don't like about Godell's decision is that it is open-ended in that Peterson has to apply for reinstatement after April 15th, well after free agency has begun. Whatever infinitesimally low chance the Vikings had of trading Peterson has been extinguished.

Peterson will be playing somewhere in the NFL next season but it will be for far less than the $15M he's due under his contract. I'm guessing more like $2-3M. Right now he's just as toxic as Richie Incognito was when he was suspended, but unlike Incognito he has too much value for some team not to look beyond the PR hit.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

720pete wrote:I'm OK with unloading his bloated contract. Even with him on the team we are still 3 years away from a Superbowl, at which point her would be too old to contribute.
Three years? That's kind of arbitrary don't you think?

I think it can either way. They could just as well be a playoff team next year as they can have a total collapse and be in the NFL cellar.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:As much as we all hate this as Vikings fans, especially as it relates to salvaging anything out of this season, this is probably the best thing that could have happened for the Vikings.

If the team had any designs on letting him go after this fiasco, Goodell just made it easy. Nobody in their right mind would blame the Vikings for cutting ties.

As a huge AP fan since Day One, I hate that his Vikings career is likely ending this way. But it's probably time to face the music. Life after Adrian has begun, most likely.
I'm thinking the same thing. Man, I love watching AD play football. But I believe he will be playing for another team next year. I won't like seeing that.

One has to wonder how long it would have taken AD to get up to speed anyway. Maybe he couldn't have done that much for the Vikings and perhaps giving McKinnon more much needed NFL experience is good.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Hopefully we can use some of the cap space freed up to secure us a good LT :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

losperros wrote: I'm thinking the same thing. Man, I love watching AD play football. But I believe he will be playing for another team next year. I won't like seeing that.

One has to wonder how long it would have taken AD to get up to speed anyway. Maybe he couldn't have done that much for the Vikings and perhaps giving McKinnon more much needed NFL experience is good.
I agree with this but would add that I hope that they can trade him somewhere for a draft pick/picks. I hope they can control where he ends up and hopefully out of the NFC. I can just imagine him signing with the Lions and watching him destroy the Vikings for the next 3-4 years. You can bet that he will come back and play with a vengence no matter where he ends up.
Either way I wish him good luck with his family life and his career. I doubt that any player has ever worked harder at his profession as has AD. Every one deserves a 2nd chance.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hmmm...
‏@Andrew_Krammer -- RT @VikingsPR The #Vikings have signed RB Dominique Williams to the practice squad.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly