The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly after 6 weeks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly after 6 weeks

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:53 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:43 am

Ha! Because he didnt come in saying "now you've been educated, you're welcome". That's sarcasm. That's arrogance. I'm sorry but if you want to act like that, it invites the unwanted. I'm not sure what else to tell you. I've disagreed with PLENTY of others on here over the past 10 years. When you come across as respectful and with good intent, you can disagree respectfully. I've done it multiple times with multiple people. If you show me respect, I will happily be respectful in return. When you come across with arrogance, disrespect, when you manipulate and twist peoples words, when you make up your own narratives, etc. then again, it invites the unwanted. You're not going to see the nice side of me.

There's a reason Stump is a common denominator in 98% of the disagreements on here. Why do I continue to insult people? Who? Stump every time I call out his arrogance and manipulating? Or is it because I call you to the carpet because you literally like every single post he makes? He could say the sky is green and the grass is blue and you'd agree. What do they call it? Like a fan boy or something? I mean, why do you continue to promote and enable his actions? Plenty of "insulting" posts he's had that YOU have liked. I'm not sure who else I've insulted on here but I can tell you there hasnt been many, if any at all. If you're going to act like an as#hole towards me, expect me to be an as#hole in return. Simple as that.
I see Stump as a reasonably intelligent and very unhappy guy. Often unhappy people like to spread their unhappiness to others and I think that is Stump's entire purpose of being here. He angers me with his attempts to win at all costs debating style. He in no way shape or form tries to get at the truth. He makes his conclusions in advance of the evidence and then just looks for whatever he can find that supports his conclusions while ignoring all evidence that doesn't. He dives deeeeeep enough he can usually come up with something that supports his conclusions.
Actually, I am a very happy and positive person in regards to everything but the MN Vikings. Even there, it took 1998, 2001, 2009, trading the 1st that could have been used on Patrick Mahomes for Sam Bradford and paying the first fully guaranteed top 5 contract to a QB of Kirk Cousins' level to finally push me more towards a more realistic view of this team. The thing is, when you have a team that went from a game away from the championship to struggling to win 8 games, a realistic view of this team will come off as negative and some just can't handle that.

If I wasn't a generally happy person the constant personal attacks by insecure (in their team) posters on this site would bother me, but instead I just find them funny and evidence that my takes are correct. Keep it up. :thumbsup:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

vikeinmontana wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:29 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:12 am
The big picture is not 5-1
But it is Stump. I know you’re a stats guy, and I appreciate your posts. But when all is said and done, all that matters is your W/L record. As it stands we’d be a top seed. If we do the exact same thing the rest of the way, we’d be a top seed with 14+ wins.

Now I’m not saying we will just because we have. I understand strength of schedule and deficiencies. And I can’t see the future. But either can you. This is what I’ve been saying. We could have 15 wins before the playoffs and you’d be able to point to areas we weren’t good at. Because there WILL be areas we’re not good at. But in the end, you are what your record says you are.
I think you are conflating what is most important with what is the big picture, because the most important thing is 5 wins, while the big picture is whether this team can continue its success leading into a SB victory.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:03 am Just curious, if I addressed one of your posts and at the end of it I said, "now you've been educated, you're welcome" what would you think of me? You're telling me you would just let that go? You wouldnt respond? You'd just take it like a man and move on? I have a hard time believing anyone would just ignore that and move on. That's being arrogant and ego-driven. That's inviting argument. Like I said above, if you're going to be an as#hole to me, I'll be an as"hole back. If you dont like it, then dont be an as#hole.
No, you're right, that would annoy me... I probably would not respond to it though. Mostly because I don't like/do well with confrontation. In real life, if someone's an a-hole, I move on/cut them out/ignore them. I realize that's harder to do with a message board, but you can choose to foe, and not respond to anything where he's quoted from someone else. Honestly if you feel he's a troll (I honestly don't, but that was a #### move... I don't want to speak for him, but from where I stand it appears to be mostly out of frustration with how he's treated here.) then move on and for Pete's sake, DON'T feed the troll.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:56 am I just find them funny and evidence that my takes are correct. Keep it up. :thumbsup:
^^^And JJBR got offended when I said you were full of yourself :shock: :confused:

But hey, whatever makes yourself feel better pal! Given the entire board has argued with you at one time or another, I guess all it did was give you validation that you are always right. Man, it must be awesome to be you. Maybe someday we will all get on your high and mighty level of knowledge about the Minnesota Vikings and the game of football! One could only dream! (End eye roll)
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:50 pm :lol: :lol: Wow are you full of yourself or what? Also, does anyone on this board like your posts other than your disciple? Asking for a friend
I enjoy any post that provokes thoughtful discussion and even speculation about the team. Along those lines, I feel like Stump posts a lot of those types of things.

I truly wish the personal stuff would stop. I get that people get passionate about the team and have strong opinions, but the best discussions by far about the team and its prospects are based on facts and stats along with whatever deeper knowledge various posters can bring to the discussion. Its sad to watch discussions degrade into "good fan-bad fan" or assumptions about personal intent. I see how it happens, but I truly wish fellow fans would just bury the personal hatchets and try to enjoy the good things about this year's team and get into greater discussion about the not-so-good-things-that-still-can-improve about them as well.

Honestly, I feel like this is a very exciting year with a ton of potential. The team hasn't played nearly as well as it could and yet they're 5-1. Things are looking up and while there is plenty to criticize and critique, this should be a fun year to be a Vikings fan.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:49 am Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel is one of my all time favorites. Unfortunately I cant afford it anymore. With this stinken economy I can barely afford Wild Turkey.
This has to be a special year if fans are discussing whiskey on the board...

:govikes: :v): :rock:
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:07 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:56 am I just find them funny and evidence that my takes are correct. Keep it up. :thumbsup:
^^^And JJBR got offended when I said you were full of yourself :shock: :confused:

But hey, whatever makes yourself feel better pal! Given the entire board has argued with you at one time or another, I guess all it did was give you validation that you are always right. Man, it must be awesome to be you. Maybe someday we will all get on your high and mighty level of knowledge about the Minnesota Vikings and the game of football! One could only dream! (End eye roll)
Project much? You are like a young girl on a rant. :whistle:
Last edited by JJBreaksRecords on Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:26 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:50 pm :lol: :lol: Wow are you full of yourself or what? Also, does anyone on this board like your posts other than your disciple? Asking for a friend
I enjoy any post that provokes thoughtful discussion and even speculation about the team. Along those lines, I feel like Stump posts a lot of those types of things.

I truly wish the personal stuff would stop. I get that people get passionate about the team and have strong opinions, but the best discussions by far about the team and its prospects are based on facts and stats along with whatever deeper knowledge various posters can bring to the discussion. Its sad to watch discussions degrade into "good fan-bad fan" or assumptions about personal intent. I see how it happens, but I truly wish fellow fans would just bury the personal hatchets and try to enjoy the good things about this year's team and get into greater discussion about the not-so-good-things-that-still-can-improve about them as well.

Honestly, I feel like this is a very exciting year with a ton of potential. The team hasn't played nearly as well as it could and yet they're 5-1. Things are looking up and while there is plenty to criticize and critique, this should be a fun year to be a Vikings fan.
I don't think Stump ever posts anything that creates thoughtful discussion. Provokes? Yeah he does lots of provoking. There is no discussion with him. He ignores every point that the person attempting to discuss with him brings up. He finds and knows all the evidence that supports Kirk being a good QB, but since he has already come to the conclusion that Kirk sucks he ignores all of that evidence and digs deeeeeeeeep until he finds something negative. Sic him on Tom Brady throughout his career I'm certain Stump could find massive amounts of evidence proving that Brady actually sucks.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:25 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:08 pm

Bad
Lulls. In every game, we’ve had periods where we do nothing. The Packers game was a blowout, but could’ve been even moreso. The Bears and Saints games should’ve been blowouts. We started very slowly against Miami. What can KOC to to minimize these down periods?
What kind of bourbon in your old fashioned? I’m a liquor store owner so always curious. Ironically more of a wine guy but my bourbon portfolio is pretty awesome!

Anyway, I just wanted to comment. Obviously lulls in every game are bad. But it’s kinda what I was trying to get across in that other thread. What can we do to minimize these lulls? Play high school teams.

You give me any team in the league. Bills, Eagles, Chiefs etc. I’ll be able to find you these same lulls on offense and defense easy. We’ll continue seeing these lulls in every game as long as the competition is great. I for one think that is why the NFL is so special.

Kapp you know I see eye to eye with you on nearly every post. And you’re not even wrong here. Lulls are bad. If I had my choice I want our offense to score touchdowns every possession and our defense to get three and outs if they don’t get a turnover first. Zero lulls. But I have yet to see that.

My opinion? We’ll always have these lulls, on both sides of the ball, because there are incredible athletes on the other team making enough money to set up their grandkids grandkids to see that we have a lull or two every game.
I disagree with you about the lulls. Other teams have times where they aren't successfully moving the ball but we are having major quarters of ineptitude. I think we have scored 6 points in the 3rd quarter all year. 1/4 of every game is basically a scoring drought for us. Then when you look at games like Miami with nine 3 and outs, I don't see the Bills, Eagles or even average teams having that kind of day. Our defense is also giving up 85% in the red zone.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:56 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:53 am
I see Stump as a reasonably intelligent and very unhappy guy. Often unhappy people like to spread their unhappiness to others and I think that is Stump's entire purpose of being here. He angers me with his attempts to win at all costs debating style. He in no way shape or form tries to get at the truth. He makes his conclusions in advance of the evidence and then just looks for whatever he can find that supports his conclusions while ignoring all evidence that doesn't. He dives deeeeeep enough he can usually come up with something that supports his conclusions.
Actually, I am a very happy and positive person in regards to everything but the MN Vikings. Even there, it took 1998, 2001, 2009, trading the 1st that could have been used on Patrick Mahomes for Sam Bradford and paying the first fully guaranteed top 5 contract to a QB of Kirk Cousins' level to finally push me more towards a more realistic view of this team. The thing is, when you have a team that went from a game away from the championship to struggling to win 8 games, a realistic view of this team will come off as negative and some just can't handle that.

If I wasn't a generally happy person the constant personal attacks by insecure (in their team) posters on this site would bother me, but instead I just find them funny and evidence that my takes are correct. Keep it up. :thumbsup:
Any fan for any team can look at draft picks and "could have been used". Mahomes has been great with Reid in KC. Do you actually think it would have been the same with a D minded run the clock out coach? Also playing behind a #### OL. The story wouldn't be the same. Many think Mahomes never plays bad and that Cousins is the only QB to have a bad game. The Chiefs were beat this year twice because they didn't put up points. They were beat in the Champ game last year when the O couldn't score in the 2nd half. That falls on Mahomes. Very few see this. He plays bad at times also. He's lucky he has some good OL players in front of him. I'd like to see him with this worthless stiff Bradbury protecting the gut. We passed on Mac Jones who lead a team to the playoffs his rookie year.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:37 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:07 pm

Project much? You are like a young girl on a rant. :whistle:
Cool man thanks!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri