Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Good News!!
Cousins expected back at practice tomorrow. Hopefully he spends no more time in quarantine this season or ever. Hopefully not other Vikings players have to be quarantined.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by chicagopurple »

there have been a number of current Olympic athletes from the US who had very prolonged decreases in pulmonary function tests and endurance post covid. They did improve but over months. If Cousins gets covid he or his teammates would be out for a very long time. Moreover, we just dont know if damage will be persistent or progressive. I am seeing people with very long term consequences. One guy is 8 months out and still has zero sense of smell and taste "everything tastes like plain oatmeal".....really sucks. We have so many families that have moms, dads, aunts uncles or grandparents die. Everyone who refuses to vaccinate will help kill more susceptible people. Its inexcusable and simply moronic. I and all my coworkers have continued to treat these people and put ourselves and our families at risk, went months unable to see our parents since we are high risk, and had family members get sick where I know I could have brought it home. People not vaccinating is pretty much spitting in the faces of those who then treat you when you show up sick with covid.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

chicagopurple wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:28 pm there have been a number of current Olympic athletes from the US who had very prolonged decreases in pulmonary function tests and endurance post covid. They did improve but over months. If Cousins gets covid he or his teammates would be out for a very long time. Moreover, we just dont know if damage will be persistent or progressive. I am seeing people with very long term consequences. One guy is 8 months out and still has zero sense of smell and taste "everything tastes like plain oatmeal".....really sucks. We have so many families that have moms, dads, aunts uncles or grandparents die. Everyone who refuses to vaccinate will help kill more susceptible people. Its inexcusable and simply moronic. I and all my coworkers have continued to treat these people and put ourselves and our families at risk, went months unable to see our parents since we are high risk, and had family members get sick where I know I could have brought it home. People not vaccinating is pretty much spitting in the faces of those who then treat you when you show up sick with covid.
Just to play devils advocate here, I see many people talking about the long-term unknowns of Covid. And I don't disagree. I had Covid in November and still have some breathing issues this very day. Who knows that Covid survivors will be dealing with in years to come?

That said, in your opinion as someone with knowledge on this, isn't it at the very least a legit concern that there could be long-term effects from the vaccine as well? We seem to learn more and more every week, but in my opinion it at least seems valid that some would be hesitant about the vaccine in the years to come.

For what it's worth I've been vaccinated. Just always find it interesting that people seem to always say there is so much we don't know about long-term issues from Covid, but never talk about potential issues down the road from the vaccine. Maybe there is zero chance of that happening, but I just always find it interesting.
i'm ready for a beer.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:47 pm
chicagopurple wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:28 pm there have been a number of current Olympic athletes from the US who had very prolonged decreases in pulmonary function tests and endurance post covid. They did improve but over months. If Cousins gets covid he or his teammates would be out for a very long time. Moreover, we just dont know if damage will be persistent or progressive. I am seeing people with very long term consequences. One guy is 8 months out and still has zero sense of smell and taste "everything tastes like plain oatmeal".....really sucks. We have so many families that have moms, dads, aunts uncles or grandparents die. Everyone who refuses to vaccinate will help kill more susceptible people. Its inexcusable and simply moronic. I and all my coworkers have continued to treat these people and put ourselves and our families at risk, went months unable to see our parents since we are high risk, and had family members get sick where I know I could have brought it home. People not vaccinating is pretty much spitting in the faces of those who then treat you when you show up sick with covid.
Just to play devils advocate here, I see many people talking about the long-term unknowns of Covid. And I don't disagree. I had Covid in November and still have some breathing issues this very day. Who knows that Covid survivors will be dealing with in years to come?

That said, in your opinion as someone with knowledge on this, isn't it at the very least a legit concern that there could be long-term effects from the vaccine as well? We seem to learn more and more every week, but in my opinion it at least seems valid that some would be hesitant about the vaccine in the years to come.

For what it's worth I've been vaccinated. Just always find it interesting that people seem to always say there is so much we don't know about long-term issues from Covid, but never talk about potential issues down the road from the vaccine. Maybe there is zero chance of that happening, but I just always find it interesting.
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't realize there were long term issues from Covid for some people. I know people that had it and are fine now. My brother is one of them. Maybe there will be something coming up later? I also get confused by people getting vaccinated and then getting Covid. The reports are nobody gets real sick from it once they are vaccinated but I find that hard to believe. People have been getting the polio vaccine for a long time and people don't get polio after the vaccine. I guess maybe a small percent. That's just a guess.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

CharVike wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:45 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:47 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't realize there were long term issues from Covid for some people. I know people that had it and are fine now. My brother is one of them. Maybe there will be something coming up later? I also get confused by people getting vaccinated and then getting Covid. The reports are nobody gets real sick from it once they are vaccinated but I find that hard to believe. People have been getting the polio vaccine for a long time and people don't get polio after the vaccine. I guess maybe a small percent. That's just a guess.
The polio vaccine was extremely effective in part because a very high percentage of people received it. Polio was eradicated due to the high percentage of people who were vaccinated. The COVID vaccines are showing a high level of effectiveness. Yes there are break through cases. There have been a few deaths among those vaccinated. In general vaccinated people are not getting sick with COVID. Reality is the vaccine is not 100% effective. However, it is very effective in preventing significant illness.
The percentage of those who become symptomatic is very small. Particularly when compared to the unvaccinated who are driving hospitalizations and deaths. We are seeing deaths rise regardless of the patients being younger. Deaths are exceeding 2K/week and growing. Pediatric centers are seeing increases in children with serious illness.

The odds of having a significant adverse effect to the vaccine is miniscule. Not just the odds of getting COVID, but the odds of having significant illness, long term effects, or death is significantly higher than any side effects to the vaccine. Take a little time and look up data on long hauler COVID patients. Mayo has good data on that.

For the COVID vaccine to truly mitigate the virus we need more people vaccinated. Please check reputable sites, when looking at research verify it is peer reviewed. You would be surprised at how many quacks get published, but their results do not stand up to peer review.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:10 pm A lot of misinformation out there but I am genuinely curious how many athletes, college or higher, have gotten seriously ill from Covid? Last year it seemed a lot of guys got it and didn't even know they had it, and the biggest impact to them getting it was losing their ability to play for a couple of weeks. That might be the reason most of these guys don't want to get the vaccine.
a quick google of NFL Players having to recover from covid:

Von Miller
Miles Garrett
Jonathan Greenard (texans)
Tommy Sweeney (bills)
Cameron Brate (bucs)
Ryquell Armstead (jags) Sat out rest of season due to covid symptoms

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2021/3/3/2 ... -asia-durr

I remember an NFL lineman and wife caught it. Wife had only mild symptoms, but the NFL player got hit hard. It doesn't discriminate. Garrett said he was only 50% after returning from covid last year. There are people that can't get rid of symptoms (long haulers), have permanent scaring of tissue and will never be 100%.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... in-foster/
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

VikingTom wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:06 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:45 pm
The polio vaccine was extremely effective in part because a very high percentage of people received it. Polio was eradicated due to the high percentage of people who were vaccinated. The COVID vaccines are showing a high level of effectiveness. Yes there are break through cases. There have been a few deaths among those vaccinated. In general vaccinated people are not getting sick with COVID. Reality is the vaccine is not 100% effective. However, it is very effective in preventing significant illness.
The percentage of those who become symptomatic is very small. Particularly when compared to the unvaccinated who are driving hospitalizations and deaths. We are seeing deaths rise regardless of the patients being younger. Deaths are exceeding 2K/week and growing. Pediatric centers are seeing increases in children with serious illness.

The odds of having a significant adverse effect to the vaccine is miniscule. Not just the odds of getting COVID, but the odds of having significant illness, long term effects, or death is significantly higher than any side effects to the vaccine. Take a little time and look up data on long hauler COVID patients. Mayo has good data on that.

For the COVID vaccine to truly mitigate the virus we need more people vaccinated. Please check reputable sites, when looking at research verify it is peer reviewed. You would be surprised at how many quacks get published, but their results do not stand up to peer review.
I don’t dispute this. But it still doesn’t answer my question. I hear constantly that we don’t know what the long term effects of Covid could be. And I agree, we don’t. So why is it so crazy and selfish when people voice concerns about not knowing what any long term effects of the vaccine could be?
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:46 pm
VikingTom wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:06 pm

I don’t dispute this. But it still doesn’t answer my question. I hear constantly that we don’t know what the long term effects of Covid could be. And I agree, we don’t. So why is it so crazy and selfish when people voice concerns about not knowing what any long term effects of the vaccine could be?
IMO you have a valid point. COVID has forced us to rush things that normally would have been researched for years. All we can do is act on the knowledge that we have now and to me it is overwhelmingly the better choice to get vaccinated. Could it possibly turn into the wrong choice down the road? IMO highly unlikely.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

the covid vaccine has been given to Hundreds of millions of people world wide and studied with an intensity unseen in the past . We have an insane amount of data showing it is safe. The government has been open to a fault releasing raw data to the public on all side effects ,which has been counter productive since the public cant interpret this well. Every side effect we see is a mild expression of what the disease causes at a much worse severity and frequency. As an example, there have been very rare episodes of inflammation of the cardiac muscle post vaccine. it occurs at a very low rate. Without the vaccine, we see severe heart inflammation, sometime permanent damage, in those who catch covid, often fatal cardiac outcomes. SO, with the vaccine there is a small chance of mild temporary hear t irritation but without the vaccine its pretty common that your heart can be destroyed or permanently damaged. Its called Relative Risk Estimate, and the stats are scream....get your damn vaccine. Non vaxxers are the same group that refused to be told that the law requires you to wear a seat belt...they all whined about the rare times a seat belt caused injuries....just a ship of fools. The current fatality rate from covid if you are vaccinated is 00.001%, , 1 in 100,000. The death rate in the UNvaccinated 4% or just about 1 in 20......Covid used to be a natural Disaster....now its just Natural Selection, bad choices= Bad Outcomes.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:46 pm I don’t dispute this. But it still doesn’t answer my question. I hear constantly that we don’t know what the long term effects of Covid could be. And I agree, we don’t. So why is it so crazy and selfish when people voice concerns about not knowing what any long term effects of the vaccine could be?
I think it's selfish because of the following reasons:
1. The long term effects in some people who get COVID are 100% known, and aren't good.
2. Short term effects of COVID in some patients is also not good.
3. The risk of passing on the COVID virus or helping a more deadly version of the virus to mutate is just irresponsible.
4. The short term risks of the vaccine are known.
6. Experts in these fields don't think there is much risk for long term effects. Three things to know about the long-term side effects of COVID vaccines
Vaccines are just designed to deliver a payload and then are quickly eliminated by the body,” Goepfert said. “This is particularly true of the mRNA vaccines. mRNA degrades incredibly rapidly. You wouldn’t expect any of these vaccines to have any long-term side effects. And in fact, this has never occurred with any vaccine.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:52 am
vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:46 pm I don’t dispute this. But it still doesn’t answer my question. I hear constantly that we don’t know what the long term effects of Covid could be. And I agree, we don’t. So why is it so crazy and selfish when people voice concerns about not knowing what any long term effects of the vaccine could be?
1. The long term effects in some people who get COVID are 100% known, and aren't good.
3. The risk of passing on the COVID virus or helping a more deadly version of the virus to mutate is just irresponsible.
6. Experts in these fields don't think there is much risk for long term effects. Three things to know about the long-term side effects of COVID vaccines
Vaccines are just designed to deliver a payload and then are quickly eliminated by the body,” Goepfert said. “This is particularly true of the mRNA vaccines. mRNA degrades incredibly rapidly. You wouldn’t expect any of these vaccines to have any long-term side effects. And in fact, this has never occurred with any vaccine.
How are the long term effects of Covid "100%" known for a virus we all just learned about less than 2 years ago?
i'm ready for a beer.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

The Vikings COVID drama is making the Rodgers drama seem not so bad.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:29 am The Vikings COVID drama is making the Rodgers drama seem not so bad.
Rodgers said no one wants to lives in his team's city and called out his GM for nearly every cut or not extended starter, basically saying team management has no idea what they are doing.

I don't think our Covid drama comes close to that.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:22 am
How are the long term effects of Covid "100%" known for a virus we all just learned about less than 2 years ago?
Obviously not 100% known yet, but we know enough to know that they can be very bad. I don't think additional info will change that for the better.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

100% concur. Too many do not understand the mechanism of mRNA. Might also add researchers already had experience with mRNA going back to Ebola. mRNA is not the new kid on the block.