OBJ

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: OBJ

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:18 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:41 am

How? Especially given what I point out above.

Edit to add: # of targets 2019: Diggs: 94; OBJ: 133.

Do you think the Vikings would give him more targets than they gave Diggs in 2019 (w/o Thielen for a chunk)? Or do you think OBJ will be content with 94 or so targets?
Texas Vike your post is spot on. OBJ needs to be in a pass first offense. We are planning to run a 2TE run heavy offense and we already have one highly paid WR, why do we need another? We need to invest that $$ on the OL to give Cook space and give Cousins time to PA, NOT another WR who will demand the ball and be unhappy if he doesn't get it.
If we can't pass we can't run. We need more than one WR threat.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Not to mention if this is the route the Vikings wanted to go, they should have gone after Hopkins.
Vikings09
Rookie

Post by Vikings09 »

We also got to think if Thelin goes down our team is screwed unless we bring in a good receiver...if not OBJ why not Brown...having a rookie receiver will not help in that scenario and Thelin does get hurt unfortunately
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:23 pm Not to mention if this is the route the Vikings wanted to go, they should have gone after Hopkins.
True, but hindsight is 20/20.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:04 pm
S197 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:23 pm Not to mention if this is the route the Vikings wanted to go, they should have gone after Hopkins.
I'm assuming the Texans talked to a lot of teams, Vikings included although I have no info to say with certainty either way. The wildcard is David Johnson who I guess they're really high on for whatever reason. But I would have to think Johnson can be substituted for a draft pick and probably not a very high one.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:34 pm
I'm assuming the Texans talked to a lot of teams, Vikings included although I have no info to say with certainty either way. The wildcard is David Johnson who I guess they're really high on for whatever reason. But I would have to think Johnson can be substituted for a draft pick and probably not a very high one.
Diggs for Hopkins probably would have done it based on the trade for Cook afterwords.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:34 pm
3 years ago I could see a team being high on Johnson. He is so washed up now and has a large contract. He should have been a very negative asset in that trade. This Bill O'Brien guy doesn't have a clue.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:19 pm
fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:10 pm

No, and I think for a WR as good as Diggs, waiting until he is open to throw him the ball leaves a ton untapped production. He is open before he is open, and even when covered, he is one of the best at contested catches. I have no doubt that led to his frustration.
He had over a 1000 yards. If that isn't good enough for him good riddance. Cook is a better football player than Diggs and deserved to be the focus.
That remains a non sequitur. It has no relevance at all to what i wrote above.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Apparently this entire conversation is moot.

Many, many sources, including Adam Schefter and Ian Rappoport, have been cited as saying the OBJ to Vikings rumor is "absolutely false."

Well, if Shefty and Rap Sheet say it ain't so, it must not be so. :roll:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:07 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:19 pm
He had over a 1000 yards. If that isn't good enough for him good riddance. Cook is a better football player than Diggs and deserved to be the focus.
We went to Diggs plenty. He's a whiner. Beckham is a better fit as a deep threat.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:59 am Apparently this entire conversation is moot.

Many, many sources, including Adam Schefter and Ian Rappoport, have been cited as saying the OBJ to Vikings rumor is "absolutely false."

Well, if Shefty and Rap Sheet say it ain't so, it must not be so. :roll:
The Browns want Harris and want to dump OBJ. This could definitely happen in some form. I'd be OK with Harris for OBJ straight up.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:53 am
fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:07 am

We went to Diggs plenty. He's a whiner. Beckham is a better fit as a deep threat.
My point is a simple one, and I'm not sure why you choose not to acknowledge it. Diggs may have had "plenty" of targets, but he may also have been open "plenty" more times. And as I said, he is able to win contested catches at a very high rate even when he is not open. When you are the WR in said scenario, and you are losing games as a result of not being targeted in those instances, its going to be frustrating.

When you have a guy who does, lets say, 5 things at an elite level, but you will only take advantage of one or two them...and those are traits that happen to be easier to find, you might feel frustrated that your hard work put in to develop traits 3, 4 and 5 is being WASTED....AND you are losing some important games. This is not difficult to imagine.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:45 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:53 am
My point is a simple one, and I'm not sure why you choose not to acknowledge it. Diggs may have had "plenty" of targets, but he may also have been open "plenty" more times. And as I said, he is able to win contested catches at a very high rate even when he is not open. When you are the WR in said scenario, and you are losing games as a result of not being targeted in those instances, its going to be frustrating.

When you have a guy who does, lets say, 5 things at an elite level, but you will only take advantage of one or two them...and those are traits that happen to be easier to find, you might feel frustrated that your hard work put in to develop traits 3, 4 and 5 is being WASTED....AND you are losing some important games. This is not difficult to imagine.
It is my belief that we went to Diggs when it was appropriate to do so and we didn't when it wasn't. I'm not saying we did that perfectly, but in general I think we did it right. I know you aren't a Cousins fan particularly so you believe he is too timid about passing to WRs when they aren't wide open. I don't think the data supports your theory and to me the eye test doesn't either. We just see it differently. That's OK.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:16 pm
fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:45 pm

It is my belief that we went to Diggs when it was appropriate to do so and we didn't when it wasn't. I'm not saying we did that perfectly, but in general I think we did it right. I know you aren't a Cousins fan particularly so you believe he is too timid about passing to WRs when they aren't wide open. I don't think the data supports your theory and to me the eye test doesn't either. We just see it differently. That's OK.
Just to clarify, as I have many times, Cousins does some things very well. I'm not even saying Cousins is wrong to not make those passes, but that I can understand a WR who has worked hard to hone his craft being frustrated that his QB isn't making those passes. I'm not trying to make an argument, or knock Cousins, I'm trying to describe the reality from multiple perspectives (in this case, Diggs) as best I can given imperfect knowledge.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:22 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:16 pm
Just to clarify, as I have many times, Cousins does some things very well. I'm not even saying Cousins is wrong to not make those passes, but that I can understand a WR who has worked hard to hone his craft being frustrated that his QB isn't making those passes. I'm not trying to make an argument, or knock Cousins, I'm trying to describe the reality from multiple perspectives (in this case, Diggs) as best I can given imperfect knowledge.
Fair enough. The best WRs believe they are always open and usually are. They should still realize there is no I in team. They should trust their teammates to do their job well and just focus on doing their own job well.