Thoughts Week 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Packers have TRD

Post by IrishViking »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I love how you keep referring to them as the "Packers championship staff." Leave it to Packers fans to live in the past, how many of your current staff were on that 2011 "championship" team?
Its a easy transition though. Defense play rough? Praise Rodgers. Rodgers play rough? Praise Defense. Both Play rough? Praise Staff.

Just kidding, all that aside, and I really don't mean this in a "haha we beat you nahnahnahnah," sorta of way; as a team usually on the receiving end of #### whooping's in the Rodgers era. He looked bad. Like, "Something is rotten in the state of Green Bay" Bad.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote: I disagree, turnovers mean nothing if you don't take advantage, without the phantom call on Randall that came 15 seconds after the play was over we would have had another drive even.
You're on very thin ice. Keep whining about officiating and you may just get a week off. You've made your views on that subject abundantly clear but it's time to drop it... permanently. People are tired of hearing it from you.

This board welcomes guests from other teams but as the rules explicitly state:
Trolling is not permitted. This is a Vikings board. We are under no obligation to give equal time to other team's fans. If you're a fan of another team, be respectful, or you'll be gone.
You've been trending away from "guest" and toward "troll" too much lately.
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

Thanks. I don't post often but I read everything and I was getting REAL tired of Jordy beating his dead horse. Thanks again.

Mothman wrote: You're on very thin ice. Keep whining about officiating and you may just get a week off. You've made your views on that subject abundantly clear but it's time to drop it... permanently. People are tired of hearing it from you.

This board welcomes guests from other teams but as the rules explicitly state:
You've been trending away from :guest" and toward "troll" too much lately.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Thoughts Week 2

Post by mansquatch »

Let's move this on...

I see a few issues I'm interested in spurring further discussion on:

1.) Whats up with the OL? Can it get better as players "gel"?

2.) Trae Waynes

3.) Charles Johnnson vs. Treadwell vs. CP84

4.) AP Injury - How it impacts opposition game planning

On the OL: I think they will improve as they get more time playing with each other. I think the early bye is a benefit in this regard. I'm concerned about Kalil's hip injury. Is it a long term thing or a short term thing. The drop off from week 1 was big.

On Waynes: I'm optimistic. his issues yesterday were all mental and little stuff. Not turning to play the ball, not recognizing that he was doing "too much", etc. For most of the game his positioning was excellent. On some of hte completions he was VERY close to breaking up the balls. I think with some time he will be an excellent player for us. He got picked on yesterday, but his overall stats were not horrible.

On WR: This plays into my 4th item, but I think CJ was mostly useless yesterday. How can Treadwell and CP84 not provide at least the same juice as CJ? Seems dubious to me.

Which leads to #4: We are going to need more juice out of hte passing game while AP is down. Teams will not show 8 and 9 man boxes against Asiata/McKinnon. So the WR are going to have to adjust. I think for the OL it will be a wash. They are going to have to pass protect regardless as that has been out the source of our potency these past two weeks the run blocking might get easier.

The CAR and HOU games are going to be very interesting, two very strong defenses, luckily we get one at home. I'd like to see us come out 2-0, but I think that even 1-1 should be considered a success. Feeling very good about being 4-1 going into the Bye right now.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
beerfan
Backup

Post by beerfan »

I don't think Rodgers is the same guy we saw a few years ago. Hes still one of the best quarterbacks in the league, but a few years ago he was head and shoulders above the other QBs and MVP caliber. He still shows flashes, but overall his play has fallen off.

Packer fans will blame it on Jordy's injury last year and rust this year, but what will the excuse be if this level of play continues? Sooner or later they will have to acknowledge a drop off, much like we should be doing with our superstar running back.

If this is the new Rodgers then we have a tremendous opportunity to take this division over. With as much young talent as we have and coach Zimmer it is possible that last year could have been the start of a really good run in the North for the Vikes.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

beerfan wrote:I don't think Rodgers is the same guy we saw a few years ago. Hes still one of the best quarterbacks in the league, but a few years ago he was head and shoulders above the other QBs and MVP caliber. He still shows flashes, but overall his play has fallen off.

Packer fans will blame it on Jordy's injury last year and rust this year, but what will the excuse be if this level of play continues? Sooner or later they will have to acknowledge a drop off, much like we should be doing with our superstar running back.

If this is the new Rodgers then we have a tremendous opportunity to take this division over. With as much young talent as we have and coach Zimmer it is possible that last year could have been the start of a really good run in the North for the Vikes.
In general I agree, I'm curious to see how the Bears play over the course of the year. I thought they had a chance to improve with the talent they've added and the quality of their coaching staff, especially on defense.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Jordysghost wrote: Why would I be worried? The last time an up and coming division rival beat us by 3 in a close primetime game, we ended up going on to win the SB. Rodgers had a terrible game and yet we were 3 points out, thats somewhat encouraging even.

Yea, we did a good job getting on those TOs, I wish the second ref didn't inexplicably overrule the ref who gave us a first down and mark us a yard back on that 4th and 1 with that terrible spot, id like to see how things would have played out.
Do you not see your McCarthylike pattern here?

Every single comment you make regarding Packer losses -- last year's loss to the Vikings, your playoff loss at Arizona, and last night's loss being prime examples -- involves blaming referees. Without fail. It's truly uncanny. Phantom penalties, terrible spots, one ref inexplicably overruling another ... the list goes on and on.

If this weren't a VIKINGS message board, it would be funny. Jimmy Fallon could turn it into a hilarious skit, and we'd all have a nice laugh. But since this is a place where Vikings fans come to talk about their team, your whining is more like that 3-year-old with melted chocolate all over his face who's whining about wanting a 4th Hershey bar -- overwhelmingly annoying.

All I can say is, "Scoreboard."

Out.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Boon wrote: Why in the Sam hill would they do that? I mean, McKinnon is an above average back. Assistance is serviceable and we have CJ Ham on the practice squad? Our RB of the future wears 21, no idea why people always overlook this kid
He is injury prone tho......
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

germannorseman wrote:I really worry though about Bradford and keeping him healthy. Next week against Carolina we could end up,losing him for the season too. Diggs is fantastic, but can we keep Bradford upright enough to get Diggs the ball.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly....
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

autobon7 wrote:
My thoughts exactly....

THROW SLANTS NORV. THROW SOME #### SLANTS!!!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

IrishViking wrote:
THROW SLANTS NORV. THROW SOME #### SLANTS!!!

They did! Several of Diggs' long receptions were slants. I'd been calling for them too, so I was pleasantly surprised to see them used last night.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Texas Vike wrote:They did! Several of Diggs' long receptions were slants. I'd been calling for them too, so I was pleasantly surprised to see them used last night.

We won but I am still salty as hell over that wildcat BS and then running it on 2-a million. That was so classic Vikings it gave me PTSD flashbacks
"Hey, we have an offensive rhythm going, what should we do?"

"Well I have this play series drawn up that is back to back trick plays then a run on whatever is left"

"Does the Quarterback get to throw?"

"Nope"

"Love it"

:wallbang: :wallbang:

THEN they NEARLY get the first down on a SLANT!

aSDGBAEIRGHKASFDGVNGEAGl kdsghas'qgndaS NJADSG FaSOh a :flamed:
Last edited by IrishViking on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just to put this BS about the PI call to rest:

Here's a shot of the penalty. Note the obvious handful of jersey as the defender turns Diggs, just as Collinsworth stated on the broadcast. Classic PI.

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote:Just to put this BS about the PI call to rest:

Here's a shot of the penalty. Note the obvious handful of jersey as the defender turns Diggs, just as Collinsworth stated on the broadcast. Classic PI.

Whether or not it was. I am shocked the defenders where even touching players given how much was called. The Refs made it very clear it was a focus all night.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Wasn't that play a slant?

One of Diggs' largest gains was a slant. I think SB throws them better than TB, he has a quicker release.