2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: 2015 Offseason - Free Agent/Draft Tracker

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Boon wrote:
Adrian isn't going anywhere. Tate will probably be gone and Banyard will go back to the practice squad.

There is no way in hell they let go of adrian, regardless of his cap hit, with the cap going up and a developing second year QB who could use a weapon like that to flourish.
I hope and think so too. But what about the sponsors?
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I hope and think so too. But what about the sponsors?
The moves they made had less to do with sponsors and more with public opinion. Do you think that if they put him on a trading block there wouldn't be like 10 or so top tier teams salivating at the chance? I highly doubt they would worry about sponsors. Think of it this way, in today's economy, someone loses a job, there's 100 people waiting in line to take his place. They lost radisson, gained pepsi almost instantly.

The only reason they did what they did was because they gave in to media/public pressure. Even if they ignored them and played him anyways, they would still sell out games and have a full compliment of sponsors. I doubt he goes anywhere but I could be wrong
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Question for the brain trust
What do the balance of AD and Jennings contracts look like ?
Is restructuring with more years an option to reduce the cap hit on them?
Both are going to be getting older and Jennings especially could be phased out shortly with development of Johnson, Wright, CP, and a draft pick.
AD, after Tate's release, imo, seems very likely to return to Vikings. That's great news, I hope.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IIsweet wrote:Question for the brain trust
What do the balance of AD and Jennings contracts look like ?
Is restructuring with more years an option to reduce the cap hit on them?
Both are going to be getting older and Jennings especially could be phased out shortly with development of Johnson, Wright, CP, and a draft pick.
AD, after Tate's release, imo, seems very likely to return to Vikings. That's great news, I hope.
You can find info on player contracts at http://www.spotrac.com

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vi ... -peterson/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vi ... -jennings/

In the future, if you can't remember the name of the site, just do a Google search for the player's name and "contract" and a direct link to the spotrac page for that player is usually near the top of the results. :)
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Thanks Jim, hadn't seen that site before. Looking forward to look at it more closely when I get a chance.

I would say Jennings made the deal of a lifetime. He better catch twice as many balls last season. What is dead money? Money not obtained due to incentives?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Thanks Jim, hadn't seen that site before. Looking forward to look at it more closely when I get a chance
You're welcome. It's a useful site, although I hate worrying about the financial aspects of football. It's not exactly why i got interested in the sport, if you know what I mean.
I would say Jennings made the deal of a lifetime. He better catch twice as many balls last season. What is dead money? Money not obtained due to incentives?
As I understand it, dead money is prorated money from a signing bonus. When a team pays a player a guaranteed signing bonus, they can spread the cap hit for that money out over years rather than taking it all at once. In other words, an $8 million bonus can be spread into a cap hot of $2 million a year for 4 years. If a player is traded, released or retires, whatever remains on that prorated bonus is accelerated into a "dead money" hit that must be paid.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Ok, that makes sense, and why its called dead money.

Im with on knowing how much some of the players make. I would be much happier knowing that AD was playing (if he does play for us again) and Jennings, without worrying so much if they are earning their paycheck.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/201 ... ice-squad/

Minnesota has signed Henry Josey (undrafted HB out of Missouri) to the active roster and added Justin Anderson to the practice squad.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I don't really care either, to a point. I like to play GM and look into potential free agents combined with team needs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/201 ... ice-squad/

Minnesota has signed Henry Josey (undrafted HB out of Missouri) to the active roster and added Justin Anderson to the practice squad.
via rotoworld:
Vikings signed RB Henry Josey off the Jaguars practice squad.
It's a nice speculative pickup for a Vikings team that just gave up on Ben Tate. Josey opened eyes in the preseason for the Eagles, rushing 34 times for 225 yards (6.58 YPC) and adding 3-39-1 through the air. The UDFA scatback out Missouri of ran a 4.43 at the Combine.
Looks like he was a preseason star. Hopefully we could find another Charles Johnson type guy. Too bad we probably won't see much of him since there is only 1 game left.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
nfcnorthchamps25
Backup

Post by nfcnorthchamps25 »

With the jaguars struggles at running back this year , especially early on, I find it odd that Josey did not get elevated off the practice squad at all
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I'm not a big College Football fan, but Mizzou is my team when I do watch. If you don't know Josey's story, this guy is an absolute warrior.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

I wonder if Zimmer is going to want to go after Rey Maualuga because of his familiarity with the system. The free agents I would like the Vikings to go after are Iuapati, James Carpenter, or S Devin McCourty. As far as our free agents go I would like for us to resign Tom Johnson and Berger for depth. I would rather see WR Charles Johnson on a 1 year prove it contract before we lock him up long term.

The most interesting thing will be what they do with Peterson this off season. I would like to see him back on a restructured contract. If Zimmer can get the pieces he needs on defense and Bridgewater continues to progress, I think the Vikings can be a year or 2 away from a strong playoff push.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

MrPurplenGold wrote:I wonder if Zimmer is going to want to go after Rey Maualuga because of his familiarity with the system. The free agents I would like the Vikings to go after are Iuapati, James Carpenter, or S Devin McCourty. As far as our free agents go I would like for us to resign Tom Johnson and Berger for depth. I would rather see WR Charles Johnson on a 1 year prove it contract before we lock him up long term.

The most interesting thing will be what they do with Peterson this off season. I would like to see him back on a restructured contract. If Zimmer can get the pieces he needs on defense and Bridgewater continues to progress, I think the Vikings can be a year or 2 away from a strong playoff push.
As I said before, I doubt we sign a big name offensive lineman. We already have 3 linemen under pretty big contracts. I think we'll be going offensive line at some point in the draft
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

DKSweets wrote:I'm not a big College Football fan, but Mizzou is my team when I do watch. If you don't know Josey's story, this guy is an absolute warrior.
Really? That's awesome!! Any link to the story by chance? Someone said they wonder why Josey didn't get a bump up since Jax was terrible at RB but we could say the same thing regarding Charles Johnson. Clevelands WRs might be some of the worst in the league and he couldn't get a bump either. However, I question that organization and their GM after drafting Gilbert and Manziel who are both idiots off the field and arent impressing on the field either. Not a good start for that team
-Chazz Palminteri