Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

joe h
Veteran

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by joe h »

If he sincerely apologizes and sees the error of his ways, not just read a statement his lawyer/pr guy comes up with, let him play the rest of the season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:Because it rings to me of not learning your lesson, not wanting to help the team, but to act for your own "survival" (I put quotes because lets face it, most people could probably manage to live for decades off of what he makes per game.)

If it seems to you to be totally above board and reasonable fine

But IMO it looks like he is doing it for all the wrong reason.

Also, I think its pretty selfish to only want to come back one the team that pays you almost 1 million per game proves to you they can win. If that is the case he needs to go. That is not a team attitude.
You do realize you're bringing all of that to the table yourself, right? You're just projecting your theoretically negative version of Peterson's motivations onto the situation without any genuine notion or indication of his actual motivations to back up your theory. It's a scenario you've concocted.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

joe h wrote:If he sincerely apologizes and sees the error of his ways, not just read a statement his lawyer/pr guy comes up with, let him play the rest of the season.

I agree completely and that has been my stance from day one; if he regrets his actons and works to better himself, suit him back up. All I am saying is that the 180 on "having his day in court" seems to line up too well with the Vikings learning to run without him.

If he is doing this because he wants to move on and will take the steps he has to great. But I hope for his sake this isn't simply "lip service" to protect himself.
Last edited by IrishViking on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: You do realize you're bringing all of that to the table yourself, right? You're just projecting your theoretically negative version of Peterson's motivations onto the situation without any genuine notion or indication of his actual motivations to back up your theory. It's a scenario you've concocted.

I actually supplied my reasoning. The improving running game lining up with the 180 on his stance w/o any new evidence.

Your theory is just as concocted and just as valid.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I sure it's pure speculation to know why about anything Peterson is thinking.

I'm inclined to think he's now got a better grip on reality about his place in the world, regarding entitlements and whatnot, seeing how the team is doing whatever it can without him, simply because it has to. Life goes on.
To echo Jim's sentiment, I would wager a lot on believing that he just wants this behind him and get back to playing football. Just like most everyone else in the sense of moving forward, regardless where they believe he should wind up NFL-wise.

I see him as one of the class of players who truly loves football and never mails it in. I don't think the money is why he plays. I think he wants to be paid a lot because he truly believes he's the best. It's his identity to some large degree. I believe he is a team player too. I can see his motivation for a plea being a positive development in him coming to his senses rather than jump to the conclusion that it's all based on some selfish insincere motivation. It's entirely possible that his motivations are mixed which would make sense since he's a human being. That seems to be the ground zero in all of it...we're all human beings and oft infallible. I never put the guy on a pedestal so I really have nothing to forgive him for. I just like to see people brighten their cores and become more aware of the impact they have on the world around them, especially through the trials of adversity because it helps us all understand the larger picture...assuming anyone is paying attention in the first place, rather than projecting.

His actions worked to bring a larger social issue into the spotlight and it's up to the society to resolve it. I doubt we'll really know the truth about his contrition until he is back in the public speaking and acting over time. In order for that to happen he has to have the chance and that starts once the legal issue is resolved. The sooner the better IMO.

sorry for the sermon-like quality of my take....I blame coffee :soap
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Re: AP to accept plea?

Post by PurpleHalo »

PacificNorseWest wrote: This. I want this so bad. I just hope the suspension he was due to receive from the league is retroactive to week 2 when he first sat. That's a good 8 game suspension.
If he's back on the field next week, he will be pretty lonely. :D
This space available for rent.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

:wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:

Typed a long message and then lost it ...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:I sure it's pure speculation to know why about anything Peterson is thinking.

I'm inclined to think he's now got a better grip on reality about his place in the world, regarding entitlements and whatnot, seeing how the team is doing whatever it can without him, simply because it has to. Life goes on.
To echo Jim's sentiment, I would wager a lot on believing that he just wants this behind him and get back to playing football. Just like most everyone else in the sense of moving forward, regardless where they believe he should wind up NFL-wise.

I see him as one of the class of players who truly loves football and never mails it in. I don't think the money is why he plays. I think he wants to be paid a lot because he truly believes he's the best. It's his identity to some large degree. I believe he is a team player too. I can see his motivation for a plea being a positive development in him coming to his senses rather than jump to the conclusion that it's all based on some selfish insincere motivation. It's entirely possible that his motivations are mixed which would make sense since he's a human being. That seems to be the ground zero in all of it...we're all human beings and oft infallible. I never put the guy on a pedestal so I really have nothing to forgive him for. I just like to see people brighten their cores and become more aware of the impact they have on the world around them, especially through the trials of adversity because it helps us all understand the larger picture...assuming anyone is paying attention in the first place, rather than projecting.

His actions worked to bring a larger social issue into the spotlight and it's up to the society to resolve it. I doubt we'll really know the truth about his contrition until he is back in the public speaking and acting over time. In order for that to happen he has to have the chance and that starts once the legal issue is resolved. The sooner the better IMO.

sorry for the sermon-like quality of my take....I blame coffee :soap
No need to apologize, it was an excellent post.

It's possible that bargaining down to a misdemeanor wasn't even an option before now. The prosecution wanted the judge to recuse himself from the case. Now that we know the judge won't be removed, the prosecution may have reconsidered their case and decided to bargain with Peterson and his lawyer.

We'll just have to see how it all plays out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

In a nutshell, here's what I was trying to say in the reply i lost:

I saw Chris Mortensen on ESPN and he said once Peterson's case is resolved, he should come off the Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list. Then it becomes a question of how the NFL will handle it. As we've discussed here, they could choose to suspend him for up to 6 games but they could also view the 8 games he's missed as time served. He's been paid while on the exempt list so if the league decided to go the latter route, they'd probably ask him to give up 6 paychecks (I don't know fi they'd want money back on what he's been paid or if they would just take the next 6 games).

Anyway, it's possible that if the case is resolved this week, Peterson could be back to practice as soon as next week.

How sponsors feel about it and how Peterson and the Vikings themselves want to handle things could also be a factor, of course.

We're supposed to learn more tomorrow. Also at issue tomorrow: the motion to revoke bail based on Peterson's supposed admission to smoking marijuana. I suspect that will only be a factor if he failed his drug test. I doubt the judge will revoke bail based on hearsay alone.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

wow...that was not a possibility I was expecting when this first happened.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

wouldn't mind see Adrian not playing the rest of the year. maybe it will lessen the heat on him from the public, might extend his career with time off, plus the Vikings are playing ok.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

There are several things people need to think about.

1. With a plea deal. What does the NFL use to justify the suspension time? This is important because a lot of what we know is from leaked grand jury testimony. Does the NFL use that? Or, do they use just the information they received from the prosecutor?

2. Whatever the suspension is, does it fall in line with the new rules, or the old rules? The timing of the incident and the way it all came out just after the Ray Rice deal makes this a very slippery slope for the NFL. They need to have a balance between what is fair and what is just. Since before this comes to fruition, I suspect that they will lose the Ray Rice appeal.

3. The suspension will set a precedent for future suspensions. To much or to little time can come back and bite them in the future.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Raptorman wrote:There are several things people need to think about.

1. With a plea deal. What does the NFL use to justify the suspension time? This is important because a lot of what we know is from leaked grand jury testimony. Does the NFL use that? Or, do they use just the information they received from the prosecutor?

2. Whatever the suspension is, does it fall in line with the new rules, or the old rules? The timing of the incident and the way it all came out just after the Ray Rice deal makes this a very slippery slope for the NFL. They need to have a balance between what is fair and what is just. Since before this comes to fruition, I suspect that they will lose the Ray Rice appeal.

3. The suspension will set a precedent for future suspensions. To much or to little time can come back and bite them in the future.
Excellent points that you brought up.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Whatever the punishment is it I hope it does not reflect the crime...which was over the top and noncreative punishment...not meant to teach the child anything but abdication to oppressive authority.

I have little faith.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

IrishViking wrote:
I agree completely and that has been my stance from day one; if he regrets his actons and works to better himself, suit him back up. All I am saying is that the 180 on "having his day in court" seems to line up too well with the Vikings learning to run without him.

If he is doing this because he wants to move on and will take the steps he has to great. But I hope for his sake this isn't simply "lip service" to protect himself.

He already did apologize. Just not to the public, which I don't neccessarily think he needs to. He apologized to the boys mother, which we found out when the incident all went down. I specifically remember the quotes that he apologized because he had no idea the switch was wrapping around his thigh so high and that when he realized, he immediately felt horrible and punished his kids in other ways that weekend or week because of how bad he felt.

That's good enough for me. He apologized to those he truly hurt. I don't think the fans or the media should need one (I'm not implying you think that, but simply just sayin' my opinion). What happened, happened. Lesson learned (hopefully). Time to move one.