Third-down defense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Third-down defense

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

mansquatch wrote:I think some folks need to realize that there is no perfect defense against all plays. Blitzing is a gamble that can be mitigated by the quality of your cover guys and/or the lack of quality of the QB. Also, sometimes the offense is going to call the right play to beat the defense we call and vice versa. There are no absolutes here, so to think that way is short sighted.
That's just it.

A coach can't just say, "To get more sacks, we need to blitz more." Blitzing at the right time can work, but blitzing every down will likely doom you against a good offense.

What I like about Zimmer's history is that when he blitzes, you don't know where it's coming from. So far, we haven't seen tons of that from the Vikings, but the Anthony Barr sack against Ryan last Sunday is a good example and hopefully a sign of things to come.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:That's just it.

A coach can't just say, "To get more sacks, we need to blitz more." Blitzing at the right time can work, but blitzing every down will likely doom you against a good offense.

What I like about Zimmer's history is that when he blitzes, you don't know where it's coming from. So far, we haven't seen tons of that from the Vikings, but the Anthony Barr sack against Ryan last Sunday is a good example and hopefully a sign of things to come.
It's a good example of an unexpected blitz but it wasn't actually supposed to be a blitz so in that particular, case, even Zimmer didn't know it was coming! ;)

I'm thinking we see the Vikes go a little deeper into the offensive and defensive playbooks tonight.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:

I'm thinking we see the Vikes go a little deeper into the offensive and defensive playbooks tonight.
Some guys run better in bad weather conditions than others. I remember Keith Byars always looked like he had on snow shoes and everyone else was walking on stilts during snowy games. Judging from the limited action we've seen from Patterson in bad weather games, especially that game against baltimore, I think he might be that kind of player. Everyone else was sliding all over while he was running as though the field were completely dry.

I'm hoping we see a lot of carries for #84 on jet sweeps and from the backfield. I think combining that with the draws up the middle will pose big problems for a green bay team that will likely need to sell out to stop the runs up the middle of the field given personnel limitations. Hit them with a couple sweeps to Patterson and it will freeze them up good and open the middle of the field for Asiata and McKinnon. Pull up a S and we should find the deep post pretty effective. In bad weather once you get a defender turned in 1 on 1 coverage, throw the post or dig or out and he'll have a much harder time getting to where the ball is going than the reciever who knows where its heading. Utilize the bad weather to our advantage with misdirection plays. All you have to do is freeze them for a second to get big openings on bad turf!

I expect more read option with a bigger emphasis on sweeps to WRs.

If we can stop the run with 7 and keep 2 deep safeties I like our odds to win this game.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Uf. 2013 Josh Robinsonesque.
@SI_DougFarrar -- Captain Munnerlyn is allowing a 158.3 QB rating in the slot, per @pff. Randall Cobb leads the league in slot touchdowns. #justsaying
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

dead_poet wrote:Uf. 2013 Josh Robinsonesque.
Ouch!

158.3 is the maximum QB rating. Silver lining = he can only get better; can't get any worse.
Leafman
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Leafman »

Pseudo Everything wrote: Ouch!

158.3 is the maximum QB rating. Silver lining = he can only get better; can't get any worse.
Makes this message board a whole lot easier to deal with when the only choice is to see the glass half-full. :wink:

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Josh Robinson says for you to take that back!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I wonder what kind of passer rating the top slot corners in the league allow.

Not excusing Munnerlyn AT ALL. It just seems like a really hard position to play. On the outside, you have the sideline as an extra defender. Plus, they run so many pick plays in the middle of the field nowadays.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Worlds greatest slot midget?! I now disagree with everything PFF has done, or ever will do.

Until they reinforce something I already believe, then I will quote them as gospel. :twisted:
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Captain Munnerlyn has definitely been exploitable. Xavier Rhodes, on the other hand, looks like he's really coming along for a young guy.