Weeeeeerrrreeeee Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Weeeeeerrrreeeee Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!

Post by Cliff »

DKSweets wrote: PP.O was very welcoming indeed, and honestly without their help it's likely we wouldn't have been to communicate at all. That is where most of us landed during the down time.

I actually almost feel bad for them. You could tell that their board is on the decline, and they were so excited to have us. That said, at least 5 members' emails were flagged as spam, posts had to be approved by the mods before they went through (at least, some did. I never figured out the rules on that), and captcha's were more prevalent than Webby wanted to admit. The community seemed great, but I'm not surprised that they're having a hard time keeping members with the amount of security devices that he installed. Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I feel like removing the excessive security would be a great move for them. If spam is really an issue, possibly even keeping more mods to delete the occasional spam would be beneficial.

But again, as far as the people go, I have nothing but great things to say about them. I would guess that in the unfortunate event that the board went down again, that is where we would meet.
They are great and I hope their community thrives. I do agree that their security is likely the reason for their declining membership. I was blocked as a 'spammer' and used the website contact form twice which I never got a response from (probably because it was flagged as spam and junked!). Finally I emailed the webmaster account directly and that worked. For most people, I would guess they would give up after a try or two.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Finally! I made it back on the server!

It is great to be back. Hopefully, this board can and will remain our home for Vikings' related issues for many, many years to come.

While I am extremely grateful for Purple Pride's hospitality, it just didn't feel right trying to discuss Vikings' related issues on PurplePride. There is reason why I hardly ever posted there way back in the day when I made an account. I made a second account on there in 2011, and never used it until we had the temporary board migration.

Anyway, it is great to be back. Hopefully, we can keep this board up and going. It is really sad to see just how inactive purple pride is nowadays. I hope that doesn't happen here.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I said on the VMB fantasy football league that this site was too influential to just disappear like that. It goes beyond football, as a community and friendship, and of course it's just too awesome! So thanks again to Cliff and everyone who worked hard on getting it restored, and that includes GLG. As I said it goes beyond football so I'm glad we have our little community / circle back and in tact.
Leafman
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Leafman »

I leave this board in 2010, and the next time I come across it is via ...

... CBS Sports??

Jeezus guys, ya hit a new level of partisan rancor, eh??

I haven't read through all the relevant posts and threads, but it appears that things got a bit messy. Seems to be going around (NFL, Peterson, Ukraine... :wink: ). But problems always present opportunity. Crisis always offers itself as a catalyst for change. And from death are sown the seeds of renewal and growth.

So it is for the Vikings Message Board, and so it is for the team that binds its tortured community together.

My Dad was a Vikings fan from the day the NFL announced it was awarding a franchise to Minnesota, and I fully integrated his passion for the team in to my own life. I learned all about resilience and tenacity in the face of anguish from the experience of sharing a never-ending stream of bitter Vikings disappointments with my Dad. My one wish was that the Vikings would win a Super Bowl before he died, because I know how crushed he was by the four defeats in Super Bowls IV, VIII, IX and XI, as well as by the losses in the 1999 and 2010 Championship games, and how badly he wanted to see that Lombardi trophy hoisted by the Purple.

Dad died last December. So now they need to win one for me.

Let's go Vikes!

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Leafman wrote:I leave this board in 2010, and the next time I come across it is via ...

... CBS Sports??

I haven't read through all the relevant posts and threads, but it appears that things got a bit messy. Seems to be going around (NFL, Peterson, Ukraine... :wink: ). But problems always present opportunity. Crisis always offers itself as a catalyst for change. And from death are sown the seeds of renewal and growth.

So it is for the Vikings Message Board, and so it is for the team that binds its tortured community together.

My Dad was a Vikings fan from the day the NFL announced it was awarding a franchise to Minnesota, and I fully integrated his passion for the team in to my own life. I learned all about resilience and tenacity in the face of anguish from the experience of sharing a never-ending stream of bitter Vikings disappointments with my Dad. My one wish was that the Vikings would win a Super Bowl before he died, because I know how crushed he was by the four defeats in Super Bowls IV, VIII, IX and XI, as well as by the losses in the 1999 and 2010 Championship games, and how badly he wanted to see that Lombardi trophy hoisted by the Purple.

Let's go Vikes!

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
Leafman! A blast from the past.

It's good to see you here again and I'm sorry to hear that you lost your father. My dad's interest in the Vikes is also what sparked my passion for the team and unfortunately, he too passed away a couple of years ago without ever seeing the Vikes win a Super Bowl. They need to win one for you, for me, for all of us.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Leafman! A blast from the past.

It's good to see you here again and I'm sorry to hear that you lost your father. My dad's interest in the Vikes is also what sparked my passion for the team and unfortunately, he too passed away a couple of years ago without ever seeing the Vikes win a Super Bowl. They need to win one for you, for me, for all of us.

That makes three of us--my dad passed a couple of years back and I think all the Vikings ever did for him was cause him disappointment. He used to love two-minute Tommy and Burnsie, though. I miss calling him at half time to complain about whatever's going wrong or, occasionally, share our surprise at how well they are playing. For all of our dads' sakes, the Vikes are due for a Super Bowl already!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Leafman wrote:I leave this board in 2010, and the next time I come across it is via ...

... CBS Sports??

Let's go Vikes!

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
Welcome back, Leafman! It's like a homecoming now.

May your father rest peacefully.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Mothman wrote: It's good to see you here, Edward. I felt the same sense of loss you did when the site went down. Some of us have been discussing the Vikes online together for 15 years or more at this point. That leaves an impression. We're a community!
I tell people that some of us go back to Usenet days, and usually get the "what's that?" response. So I just tell them it means many of us are old.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
porky
Backup

Post by porky »

Thank you for bringing site back!!

I don't post much and usually when I do I happen to be drunk so I am sure there are some dandys, but I do check here most every day whether I sign in or not. I enjoy reading the posters insights, opinions stats and what not.

I think this is the best forum of all of them and was sad when it went down.

Thanks again for coming back.
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Thank God the forums are back! im not a huge poster here, but I love reading everything people have to say. That being said, I believe what Adrian did was over the line, but I do not believe he is beyond redemption. I believe the same thing for Ray Rice. Peterson has been open and honest about this from the beginning, and even stated in text messages he felt bad. I think the league should suspend him for the year, make him go through counseling training and whatever is involved, and allow him to redeem himself next year. Nobody should have their entire life stripped away from a mistake, albeit a very very disturbing mistake.

I felt really bad for Ray Rices wife when she was basically begging for people to stop coming after them, in all honesty him being cut and effectively banned from the NFL not only hurt him but hurt his wife and kids too. In fact they are probably going to be the ones to suffer the most in all of this. I think they should have suspended him with the opportunity to come back in the future as long as he got treatment for his issues.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

Thank god glg is no longer in control of this forum, I'm probably more disgusted by his actions than the Peterson fiasco. Hopefully the people now running this board are more rational than him.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Orion wrote:Thank god glg is no longer in control of this forum, I'm probably more disgusted by his actions than the Peterson fiasco. Hopefully the people now running this board are more rational than him.
At least one of the people who help run this board consider glg one of the most rational people he's talked to. So it might just depend on your definition of rational.

For me, it's not rational to be more disgusted by someone taking a message board down for a day and a half than someone who left lacerations on the legs and testicles of a 4-year old while making him eat leaves in 'the whipping closet'.

I'll leave you to your opinion, but this is still a private community, you can take it too far.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

Cool that the board is back up , I definitely enjoy this board as much as any of them out there and its tops on game days ! :rock:
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Texas Vike wrote:
That makes three of us--my dad passed a couple of years back and I think all the Vikings ever did for him was cause him disappointment. He used to love two-minute Tommy and Burnsie, though. I miss calling him at half time to complain about whatever's going wrong or, occasionally, share our surprise at how well they are playing. For all of our dads' sakes, the Vikes are due for a Super Bowl already!
And I can make it four... pancreatic cancer ftl.. :(
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

I'm in the category of avid reader but infrequent poster. I think a good majority of my few posts have been in reference to the uniforms (priorities obviously). But I may take this entire incident as a kick in the pants to post more frequently. I'm glad its back and I'm glad that I'll be able to read great Vikings insight. Living in an area with Vikings fans few and far between, its nice to be able to read discussions from folks who are as big Vikings fans (and probably bigger in many cases) as I am!!