vikes schedule

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: vikes schedual

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Purple bruise wrote:Please correct the spelling on Schedual to schedule, it is driving me insane, not really :lol:
:lol: I was waiting for someone to say that
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings: Zimmer vs. Brady, Rodgers, Brees
The other thing to watch is how effectively the Vikings can pressure the top quarterbacks they'll face, particularly with some of Zimmer's creative blitzes. The Bengals didn't bring extra pressure after Brady and Rodgers all that often last year -- on just 12 and 11 dropbacks, according to ESPN Stats & Information -- but what's worth noting is just how much they rattled those two quarterbacks. Brady had just a 2.2 QBR against the Bengals' blitzes last year, and Rodgers' QBR was only 8.0, as he was forced into checkdowns and didn't complete a pass of longer than 8 yards against the blitz. Considering how lethal those two quarterbacks have been against the blitz in their careers -- to the point where many teams don't try to send extra pressure -- Zimmer's ability to throw them off is impressive. He did it well against Matthew Stafford last season, too, holding the Lions quarterback to just 33 yards and a 5.0 QBR on 13 blitzes.

The key variable to all this, of course, is talent, and it remains to be seen if the Vikings' personnel is as effective in Zimmer's scheme as what the Bengals had last season.
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... gers-brees
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Vikings: Zimmer vs. Brady, Rodgers, Brees
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... gers-brees
Bingo. The Vikings will undoubtedly be adding more talent to their defense in a few weeks but will the changes and upgrades they're making, combined with Zimmer's schemes, be enough to slow down some of those top QBs and help the Vikes win early in the season? It's going to be tough, especially because players may still be adjusting to the new scheme.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: vikes skoaljewel

Post by mondry »

The main positive I see is that we really couldn't do much worse than we did last year when GB didn't punt a single time the entire game. Of course there are a LOT of what if's in april but at least Zimmer's scheme -has- done well in the past against these QB's and we still have one of the most dangerous running games to keep those QB's off the field. I think we match up better against some of those more potent offenses but with shaky defenses type teams than for example a team like seattle who has a top defense and good running game or a team like Carolina.

With Cassel I don't think we want him playing a top defense but both him and Ponder actually have done a fair job putting up points against lesser defenses and perhaps more importantly, avoiding the costly mistakes. Top defenses are also able to lock down AD better and then it's just a snowball effect with more pressure on our QB so I think we have a better chance against GB / NE than say SEA / SF for example.

If we can finish out week 6 3-3 I think that'd be pretty good and set us up for a late season push. 4-2 would be huge, I can see wins over rams, pats, falcons, and lions. @NO AGAIN freaking sucks, that's a tough place to play and same for @GB.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Hey, doesn't skoaljewel have two l's on the end :roll:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I think it's good for a young team to play the tough teams early on. It'll set a tone. The Rams defense is formidable also...so a good test for Turner and whatever he puts together for the offense.

If this team can grind out 8 wins and being playing great, or it's best ball, by seasons end, I'll consider it a success even though I hope for more than that.

It's really feast or famine with Cassel at QB, IMO. It'll be interesting to see how Turner game plans and manages the QB.

I don't believe it's possible for the defense to not be better. Sure hope they can get a pass rush going.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Purplemania wrote:Get ready for a miserable season. I see 3 wins only.

But anything can happen :wink:
Unless Zimmer is a miracle worker you are right
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The more I look at the schedule, the more I worry about the start. 0-3 and then 1-4 a couple of weeks later looks to be highly likely. The rest of the season could go just about any way, but an opening road game followed by New England and New Orleans, then playing Green Bay at Lambeu in week five is just plain brutal.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

It sure looks tough to me, esp. the first half. With the new OC, maybe Cassel can convert some 3rd downs we never seemed to get last year, which usually led to a tired D on the field too often. I had really hoped Cassel would do better then he did last year, but I expect him to be a lot better this year. If he doesn't click this year, its going to be a very long year, no matter how much better our D improves. I sure hope we pick Teddy and Rickie is just blowing smoke, cause I doubt that we will be in a position to get a better QB next year.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I truly believe this coaching staff is going to make a bigger difference than some think. You can tell Zimmer is doing all he can to build this defense and the draft hasn't even hit yet. Then offensively, we have one of the best offensive minds in the game calling the shots. Not just saying this because I am a Vikings fan, but I truly think this team will surprise some people.

Not saying we are going all the way or anything but you can see what a good coaching staff can do for a team that had a terrible staff the year before. Look at a team like SF when Harbaugh got there compared to Singletary.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I truly believe this coaching staff is going to make a bigger difference than some think. You can tell Zimmer is doing all he can to build this defense and the draft hasn't even hit yet. Then offensively, we have one of the best offensive minds in the game calling the shots. Not just saying this because I am a Vikings fan, but I truly think this team will surprise some people.

Not saying we are going all the way or anything but you can see what a good coaching staff can do for a team that had a terrible staff the year before. Look at a team like SF when Harbaugh got there compared to Singletary.
I have to agree totally with this :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I truly believe this coaching staff is going to make a bigger difference than some think. You can tell Zimmer is doing all he can to build this defense and the draft hasn't even hit yet. Then offensively, we have one of the best offensive minds in the game calling the shots. Not just saying this because I am a Vikings fan, but I truly think this team will surprise some people.

Yeah, we got potential top 5 guys now. Frazier was completely over his head. As was Musgrave. Along with Cassell starting from day one. I think we're more likely to be around .500 than 3 wins.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I hope you're right but I'm not convinced this coaching staff will be a significant upgrade over the previous staff. I'm optimistic because Zimmer has proven he's a good defensive coordinator and Turner has proven he's a good offensive coordinator. However, Zimmer is a first time head coach and we don't yet know how good he'll be in that role. Edwards, the actual defensive coordinator, has held the job once in the NFL and he fielded two bottom 10 defenses in two years. Turner knows what he's doing but even he doesn't come with a guarantee. Zimmer, perhaps through no fault of his own since he was only a defensive coordinator, has never been on the winning end of a playoff game in his 14 years as an NFL coach. In other words, while there are definitely reasons to feel good about his chances and his staff, it's not like the Vikings have brought in a proven Super Bowl winner and experienced head coach with a "can't miss" staff. Zimmer's effectiveness as a head coach is unknown.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: vikes schedule

Post by Eli »

Damn, Jim, are you taking pessimist pills now?

How about that Christian Ponder, what do you think? Could be he turns his career around, eh? New coaches, new system, maybe they'll buy him a new helmet and jock strap and it'll make all the difference.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: vikes schedule

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:Damn, Jim, are you taking pessimist pills now?
LOL! Maybe I took the wrong pill this morning. I thought that was blood pressure medicine I was taking...
How about that Christian Ponder, what do you think? Could be he turns his career around, eh? New coaches, new system, maybe they'll buy him a new helmet and jock strap and it'll make all the difference.
I doubt it.