Trading up to 2 for Bortles

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

KSViking
Veteran

Re: Trading up to 2 for Bortles

Post by KSViking »

VikingLord wrote:With a move like this, the Vikings would get the most "NFL-looking" QB of this year's draft class. Not "NFL-looking" in terms of readiness or production, but literally in terms of how the guy looks. Standing at a solid 6'4" and weighing 230 pounds, Bortles is the kind of guy who walks into a room and makes scouts think "Now THERE is a freakin' QB prospect". Certainly, he has a strong arm to go with that big body, right? Umm, not really, it's pretty average. Then he must be really accurate, right? Um, not particularly. Lit the college football world on fire during his brief career, right? Ummm, no.

In my opinion, any GM who would trade *up* to get Bortles should have his head examined right after he's fired. In fact, he should be severely beaten, then fired, and then he can have his head examined.

I used to think Bortles was the second coming of Blaine Gabbert, and to some degree I still think that, although Bortles might turn out to be marginally better. But trading up to #2 to get him? No way. Even taking him at #8 would be foolish IMHO. QBs should not be drafted on whether they look the part, and while Bortles has perhaps more ideal physical stats than some of his contemporaries, I'd much rather the Vikes sit at #8 and take one of Bridgewater or Manziel (or even Murray who I think has the chance to be as good as anyone coming out this year) than Bortles.
Yeah, but think of the entire package that we get with Bortles :mrgreen:

This has got to count for something right??

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

KSViking wrote: Yeah, but think of the entire package that we get with Bortles :mrgreen:

Does that mean she dates all of us?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Does that mean she dates all of us?
I hope not. That's icky. :)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: I hope not. That's icky. :)
Good point.

Dibs.

(suckers)
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: Good point.

Dibs.

(suckers)
Lol...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

KSViking wrote: Yeah, but think of the entire package that we get with Bortles :mrgreen:

Obviously, this is new information, and it could explain why Speilman might take Bortles, although I think a smarter move on his part is simply to buy her poster and put it on his wall.

I actually saw a recent mock over at walterfootball that has the Vikings trading up to #3 to take Bortles whom the site proclaims is "really the QB the Vikings wanted all along"...

:shock:

I keep telling myself this is the time for misinformation and deception. There's no time like before the draft, there's no time like before the draft...
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I remember watching Bortles in the beginning of the year and thinking "He could be a nice project in the 2nd or 3rd" then November/December came and he sky rocketed up boards a la Gabbert.

At this point I probably wouldn't throw a fit if he fell to 8th and they took him but if we give up assets to move up for him I'll probably have a remote lodged in my TV.

Bridgewater is still the best QB in this draft, IMO, based on my own two eyes watching him for 3 years. I've wanted him since 2012 and I'm not gonna let a couple average WORKOUTS sway me. I think it's hilarious people like Walter Football have him in the 2nd round now and people are comparing him to Geno Smith last year when the only thing those two have in common is skin color.

If Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel and Brandon Weeden can go in the 1st round there's no doubt in my mind Bridgewater will.

Wow,you must be a Louisville fan to have watched Bridgewater play for all three years because I am certain that they were not shown on national tv very often . His first year was quite average to say the least. 14 tds with 12 ints. and a 54 QB rating. They played one decent team his senior year and lost to UCF (Bortles team). Certainly a very weak schedule but he did put up great numbers. I would have loved to see what kind of numbers JFB or any of the other top tier QBs in this draft would have put up playing that cream puff schedule :!: And oh by the way Geno Smith put up very similar numbers playing on a legit football team playing a tougher schedule. In one game he put up 656 yards and 8 tds. I kind of see why he was drafted in the first round and has been compared with Bridgewater (black, same size, and same types of throwing arms).

9/1 Ohio
9/7 Eastern Kentucky
9/14 @Kentucky
9/21 Florida International
10/5 @Temple
10/10 Rutgers
10/18 UCF
10/26 @South Florida
11/8 @Connecticut
11/16 Houston
11/23 Memphis
12/5 @Cincinnati
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I am not really sure why the media likes to compare Bridgewater and Geno Smith. I liked Geno Smith coming out and like Bridgewater a lot, but the two are completely different players.

Geno Smith played in the spread and is more athletic than Bridgewater. Bridgewater is a pocket passer from a pro-style offense. Geno Smith's arm is a tad stronger than Bridgewater, but Bridgewater is the better 'window' passer.

The only thing the two common is skin color. Honestly, there really isn't a quarterback in the NFL Bridgewater compares to well. Maybe Carson Palmer (in his prime), but even that isn't a good comparison.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Found that post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26863&p=525071&hili ... se#p525071
AVG Defense Rank for Manziel: 56.25
AVG Defense Rank for Teddy: 60.91
Really :roll: look at the schedule you just posted and see how it proves my point :!: These teams are playing other crappy
teams and still look at their defensive rankings :lol: 115th 116th 90th dude you just shot yourself in the foot. Defensive opponent's rankings with Manziel VS Bridgewater, huh Alabama #1 ranked defense in the country and LSU # 8 playing all major colleges. I will give you the Florida win and truthfully I think that is why Bridgewater's stock soared. I would not call him going 20-32 and 2 tds exactly "lighting" anyone up though.
How many times did you actually see Bridgewater play? You said that you watched him with own two eyes for 3 years. Come on truthfully, how many times did you see him play? By the way Louisville was ranked 21 (not top 10 as you posted) when they played Florida and they won by 10 points, you referred to that as a blowout win :confused:

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The bottom line is that they played in different circumstances and it's impossible to know how either player would have fared if their positions were reversed. If Manziel and played for Louisville, he would have been playing against AAC talent but he also would have been surrounded by AAC talent. If Bridgewater had played in the SEC, he would have been surrounded by SEC talent. Maybe he would have been even better. Maybe Manziel would have been worse. There's no way to know so ultimately, it makes more sense to judge them by how they played when they played, against whatever level of competition they faced.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: I don't know. I don't log the amount of Louisville games I watched. How many did you watch of any of these QBs? That your so adamant.

Not sure how I shot my self in the foot. The average speak for themselves. Both played 2 Top 10 defenses and both played a few in the 100s.

Manziel looked like crap against #8 LSU too.

His stock was rising before the Florida game to most college football fans and draft experts. That was just his National coming out party.

And Lousiville did dominate that Floriday game. It was 33-10 with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter and UF scored a couple gimme TDs at the end.
Louisville returned the opening play, an interception, into a touchdown which really set the tone and Florida had ten penalties for 100 yards, six times resulting in first downs for Louisville. And you say that Florida scored 2 gimme TDs at the end? How is that, one of their last TDs was a terrific 100 yard kickoff return? Again, I said that I will give you the Florida win, that was a great victory but Bridgewater only threw for 262 yds and 2 tds., not really lighting anyone up under most anyone's definition of lighting some one up :?: I give up on trying to explain to you the difference of teams playing top notch teams every week and teams that play eachother in the lowly Big East conference. For Alabama to be ranked the #1 defense in the country , playing their tough schedule, should speak volumes about how good they are.
I just hope and pray Teddy is not drafted by the Vikings, my opinion and yours are obviously miles apart. And yes I have seen Manziel play numerous time on TV. They showed several of Texax AM's games after he WON the Heisman trophy. I am thinking that Louisville football has not been seen too often on national TV.

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Bortles played in the same conference and could go 1st overall. Roethlisberger played in the MAC, Flacco and Romo played in 1-AA. People love Garroppolo and he played in 1-AA too.

Level of competition is all circumstantial as mothman said. They play weaker talent but have weaker talent as teammates too. If you can play, you can play.

I guess we'll see who's right in a few years.
Agreed. We will see which player has the best career.

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Kiper's latest mock has the Vikings taking Bortles at 8. I don't see him falling out of the top 3 but ya never know.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

S197 wrote:Kiper's latest mock has the Vikings taking Bortles at 8. I don't see him falling out of the top 3 but ya never know.
Hope he doesn't make it past the top 3 so we don't even have a chance at him. Looks like he belongs in college for another four years so he gets a grasp of the basics!
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:If Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel and Brandon Weeden can go in the 1st round there's no doubt in my mind Bridgewater will.
Well, I understand what you are saying, but it's really a matter of Bridgewater could go in the first round. Because, each draft is different; the individual teams' needs vary from year to year, as does whatever talent is in the draft. Geno Smith was a sure-fire first rounder last year, too, until he wasn't.

These mock drafts are best bets by media covering teams, but they don't know what the true draft board looks like for one team, let alone all the teams. Bridgewater could definitely get selected in the first, but there isn't any guarantee.
"Meet at the quarterback"