Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Demi wrote: He's a midget, but watching him play, can't hold it against him at all. The guy is a passer. Stays in the pocket. Moves around to buy time. Has more than enough arm. He's the only guy other than Bridgewater that I think will translate to the NFL. Obviously anyone could end up having success but these are the only two I've seen that really looked like they have what it takes.
How many NFL top 3 rounders is he surrounded with? Probably the most talent in the nation. He just looks average, slightly above...with a ton of talent. There's no way I'd take the risk of drafting a player who's played with such a huge talent advantage around him. You need to minimize risk...and a question mark like this is massive risk.
How high would you draft Murray? It looks like the Vikingd will be picking in the top 5, would you take him that high?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Nah, will he last to the 2nd? Trade up into late 1st? I'd trade up with our 2nd to get him. But no clue where he's projected to go...for all I know he's a mid rounder. :lol:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

This figures to be a pretty deep QB class. I would love it if we drafted a QB in the first and 3rd rounds. Unfortunately, our D has some huge holes too. My guess is that Murray will be in a second tier of QBs, likely to go in the 2nd round... but April's a long ways off.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Demi wrote: He's a midget, but watching him play, can't hold it against him at all. The guy is a passer. Stays in the pocket. Moves around to buy time. Has more than enough arm. He's the only guy other than Bridgewater that I think will translate to the NFL. Obviously anyone could end up having success but these are the only two I've seen that really looked like they have what it takes.
How many NFL top 3 rounders is he surrounded with? Probably the most talent in the nation. He just looks average, slightly above...with a ton of talent. There's no way I'd take the risk of drafting a player who's played with such a huge talent advantage around him. You need to minimize risk...and a question mark like this is massive risk.
I usually agree with you on QBs. Johnny FB has more talent on the O. Why do so many give him a free pass? His WR's has bailed him out MUCH more often then AJ.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I usually agree with you on QBs. Johnny FB has more talent on the O. Why do so many give him a free pass? His WR's has bailed him out MUCH more often then AJ.
He doesn't get a "free pass." What are you talking about? And I guarantee this whole "receivers bailed him out MUCH more often" is a result of maybe five of his 200 completions this season.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Dang, Oregon and Stanford had to overlap with the Vikings....
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

The Ducks crash and burn....time to go to Hawaii~
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

QB rankings: Oregon QB Marcus Mariota drops dramatically
As we enter the 12th week of the college football season, the cream is starting to rise to the top in the quarterback rankings. Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel and AJ McCarron have set themselves apart from the pack with their steady play throughout the season.

While Derek Carr and Bryce Petty have entered the conversation as potential elite college players, the disappointing play of Marcus Mariota against Stanford has put a damper on his chances of earning the top spot. With another week of play in the books, let's take a closer look at quarterbacks that are shining in the college game:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... amatically
1. Jameis Winston, Florida State
(Last week's rank: 3)

It's uncommon for a young quarterback to quickly adjust to the college game, but Winston is a rare find at the position. The redshirt freshman has been a sensational performer for the Seminoles, completing 69.2 percent of his passes with a 26:7 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Factor in his spectacular improvisational skills, Winston could be the difference maker on a championship-caliber team.
2. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
(Last week's rank: 4)

Bridgewater entered the season with a lot of hype, but is surprisingly flying under the radar despite posting six 300-yard games and completing more than 70 percent of his passes. Skeptics question the level of competition that he's faced this season, but Bridgewater's consistency and production make him worthy of a spot near the top of the list.
3. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
(Last week's rank: 2)

Johnny Football should be a front-runner for the Heisman Trophy, but the disdain for his on-field antics has prevented some observers from appreciating his drastically improved game from the pocket. Manziel is on pace to improve his passer rating, passing yards and touchdowns over his previous totals, while continuing to display the exceptional playmaking skills that have captivated the attention of NFL scouts.
4. Derek Carr, Fresno State
(Last week's rank: 5)

The buzz has been building around Derek Carr, the younger brother of former No. 1 overall draft pick David Carr, since he put on an impressive performance in the season opener. Scouts have been fascinated with his superb arm talent and unshakable confidence, while coaches are undoubtedly impressed with his ability to direct the offense efficiently. With the Bulldogs making a run to crash the BCS party, the spunky gunslinger could get an opportunity to show off his skills on a big stage.
5. AJ McCarron, Alabama
(Last week's rank: 6)

It's time to give McCarron credit for his winning ways despite pedestrian numbers that suggest he is simply a game manager. The two-time national champion makes plays when it matters most, and thrives when the pressure is on. With 13 of his 19 touchdown passes thrown while facing the blitz, McCarron's poise makes him one of the best players at the position.
6. Marcus Mariota, Oregon
(Last week's rank: 1)

Oregon received a shellacking at the hands of Stanford, which plummeted Mariota's chances of claiming the Heisman Trophy. Additionally, the dismal performance raised some concerns about the redshirt sophomore's accuracy, ball placement and awareness. Although those issues haven't diminished the groundswell of support Mariota enjoys in NFL circles, it will prompt scouts to do a little more digging on his overall game before anointing him the next great thing at the position.
7-16 at the link.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I like Zach better then Boyd or JFB. Cant believe hes at 11. I think hes a mid first round. If hes slips to us with our second pick, or if we get to do some trading, I would be happy. Winston is something else. I don't know if I seen a better freshman QB. And he is getting better.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

If the Vikings somehow don't end up with Aaron Murray, I will piss over the entire team. The guy has ice water in his veins and a competitive spirit not seen since Brett Favre. His game in Auburn today (whether they win or lose) made a full believer out of me. I have always liked him, but todayin a hostile environment, was awesome.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PurpleMustReign wrote:If the Vikings somehow don't end up with Aaron Murray, I will piss over the entire team. The guy has ice water in his veins and a competitive spirit not seen since Brett Favre. His game in Auburn today (whether they win or lose) made a full believer out of me. I have always liked him, but todayin a hostile environment, was awesome.

What a game!! Auburn with the improbable comeback!!

And THAT is why you watch college football!
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

From what I have read (admittadly I am not a college football fan and so haven't watched a lot of college ball) I really like Bridgewater. He seems like the exact type of player I want on this team. He's tough, he's accurate, he's a leader and he moves very well in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. He also protects himself when he runs. THIS is the guy I want.

I'll actually be ticked off if we go with Manziel. I think he is too much of a hot shot and won't do well in the NFL.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Delaqure wrote:From what I have read (admittadly I am not a college football fan and so haven't watched a lot of college ball) I really like Bridgewater. He seems like the exact type of player I want on this team. He's tough, he's accurate, he's a leader and he moves very well in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. He also protects himself when he runs. THIS is the guy I want.

I'll actually be ticked off if we go with Manziel. I think he is too much of a hot shot and won't do well in the NFL.
Me too. Teddy is a little frail. Like Rg3. I see a lot of injuries behind the Vikings line, or if he starts running a lot.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Bridgewater in the 1st, Murray in the 2nd, or bust!

Rest of them aren't worth the gamble!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I wouldn't mind spending a pick on guys like Logan Thomas, Stephen Morris, or Casey Paschal in the low rounds for developmental type guys. This of course assumes we draft someone in the first round without reaching.

Unfortunately, that may be asking for too much.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.