Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:34 pm One thing I'll say for Kirk Cousins regarding COVID. At least he mans up and defends his position that vaccination is a personal choice that he has decided not to make. He faced the music.

This would be unlike a certain lying, two-faced, passive-aggressive SOB across the border to the east, who not only lied about his vax status but also flaunted league protocols for two months plus training camp. Tom Brady got suspended for deflating some footballs by a psi on a cold day. Think Puker Boy will get suspended for this? I'm not holding my breath.
Totally agree with you Kapp.

Cousins deserves respect for being not only honest, but defending his position honestly. Whether someone agrees with him or not, you know where he stands and why he stands there.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:21 am Puker boy might be with us someday.
I want the Vikings to make a move to get that backup QB from the Jets, Mike White.

This is from his pre-draft profile on www.walterfootball.com:
White completed 66 percent of his passes in 2017 for 4,177 yards with 26 touchdowns and eight interceptions. In 2016, he completed 67 percent of his passes for 4,363 yards with 37 touchdowns and seven interceptions.
Not too bad in college at all. Mostly got knocked for subpar arm strength and "athleticism" (whatever that means), but my guess is so was Tom Brady. White was taken in the 5th. Brady in the 6th.

Granted, the Jets might realize what they've got there, but my guess is they'll try to stick with their investment in Zach Wilson and would be willing to shop White for the right price, especially if he continues to play well for them (which I fully expect he will do). This is an example of a chance to make a move that should have a reasonable cost and could pay big dividends for the Vikings, especially when compared to what is invested in Cousins.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:07 am
I want the Vikings to make a move to get that backup QB from the Jets, Mike White.

White completed 66 percent of his passes in 2017 for 4,177 yards with 26 touchdowns and eight interceptions. In 2016, he completed 67 percent of his passes for 4,363 yards with 37 touchdowns and seven interceptions.
Not too bad in college at all. Mostly got knocked for subpar arm strength and "athleticism" (whatever that means), but my guess is so was Tom Brady. White was taken in the 5th. Brady in the 6th.

Granted, the Jets might realize what they've got there, but my guess is they'll try to stick with their investment in Zach Wilson and would be willing to shop White for the right price, especially if he continues to play well for them (which I fully expect he will do). This is an example of a chance to make a move that should have a reasonable cost and could pay big dividends for the Vikings, especially when compared to what is invested in Cousins.
He sure seems like a gamer. Was actually playing well last night against Indy until he got dinged up.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

I don't know if anyone else remembers this but back in 2018 Brock Osweiller was given the start against a very good Bears D in Miami. He proceeded to throw for 380 yards, 3 TDs, 2 ints in an OT win.

The stats looked great, the team won, but his average completion travelled just 3.4 yards in the air in that game.

Needless to say Osweiller couldn't continue that level of success throwing dinks and dunkers, teams got film on him and he never played in another game after 2018.

Fast forward to Mike White in 2021. He had 405 yards, 3 TDs, 2 Ints in a win over a defense that wasn't nearly as good as the Bears, but was still pretty good. His average completion travelled just 4 yards in the air and he did not attempt a single pass over 20 yards.

Admittedly, White did throw it downfield quite a bit while he was in the game yesterday to some decent success, but how much of that was good QB play and how much of it was Rhodes and Sendejo leaving a player wide open downfield?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

They need to put their nose to the grindstone and get somebody in here that can compete when captain checkdown leaves. The Jets need to stick with Wilson. He has had some good moments. You really can't expect much more than that from a rookie QB. This entire athletic knock on QBs is a bunch of BS. To play the position they do you need to be athletic. This stuff they brag about today like guys getting a 1000 yards is nothing new. It's old time crap. Douglas almost had a 1000 yards back in 71 or 72 for the Bears in less games. Brady the old man who just won a Super Bowl can't move an inch. He had like 6 yards rushing. Once the running QB gets knocked out and it will happen eventually the crying will start about making him run. I like your idea. The guy has been a pro for a few years. That's a plus also. We need a QB that has a trace of talent because the ball is gonna drop soon. Most of us hoped for a 1st pick when we started 1-5. Getting a front line QB will last 15 years in today's game. QBs are protected in the pocket. Once out good luck.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:34 pm One thing I'll say for Kirk Cousins regarding COVID. At least he mans up and defends his position that vaccination is a personal choice that he has decided not to make. He faced the music.

This would be unlike a certain lying, two-faced, passive-aggressive SOB across the border to the east, who not only lied about his vax status but also flaunted league protocols for two months plus training camp. Tom Brady got suspended for deflating some footballs by a psi on a cold day. Think Puker Boy will get suspended for this? I'm not holding my breath.
Will be interesting how this all plays out. Aren't unvaccinated supposed to wear masks on the sidelines? If the NFL knew his status then they gave him favorable treatment.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:08 pm Admittedly, White did throw it downfield quite a bit while he was in the game yesterday to some decent success, but how much of that was good QB play and how much of it was Rhodes and Sendejo leaving a player wide open downfield?
Fair enough and you're right that individual players, especially backup QBs, can come into games or get stretches of games where they look pretty good when in fact they're not all that great, but White seemed to pass the eye test to me.

I think White could replace Cousins at far more reasonable cost. If he improves beyond that, great. If not, the Vikes get some production at QB while they keep looking. Or maybe Mond turns into something. For some reason on that latter point I'm a lot less optimistic than I was when they drafted him, but who knows?

With White, there is upside potential. With Cousins, everyone knows exactly what they're getting at this point, including opposing defensive backs who have stopped bothering to even cover downfield past a certain point.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:49 am
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:59 am

No he won't. A Hole... I man A Rod will not be suspended. My guess is he will throw up his hands and whine and cry foul. The league will replay tape, Mike Pereira and Dean Blandino will film segments saying on further review Erin never said or did anything wrong and Barr will be fined and somehow blamed for it.
Just like any other other scenario in a game when Erin starts one of his little hissy fits.
Just a big POS in my opinion
As much as I want Rodgers suspended, he only lied to reporters from what I understand, and the NFL knew all along he wasn't vaccinated.
Well honestly, I don't care if he only lied to his State Farm butt buddy or his dog groomer, I still absolutely can't stand the self absorbed jerk. :lol:
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!