Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:If he appeals, can he play? What a pathetic display by Goodell.
I'm not sure, but at this point I doubt he's able to play while the situation is under appeal but I'm not a legal expert by any means (though I do own a gavel).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

broheim wrote: Really not surprising at all - this is the outcome everyone should have expected. Considering all the hell the Vikings and NFL took for their earlier handling of this, they really had no choice - they likely felt that if they did anything less, there would be massive backlash. The real surprise would have been if they had actually decided to reinstate him him this year.

Of course, Peterson still has the right to appeal, and there's no doubt he'll do so.
Oh, they had a choice....

I have to think about it some more but my first thought is that this ruling really screws the Vikings if they were thinking about keeping Peterson. They won't know if his suspension will be lifted until almost a month and a half after free agency opens. It probably hurts their chances of trading him too, although at least the date Goodell established is a few weeks before the draft.

It will be interesting to learn more about this.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote: I'm not sure, but at this point I doubt he's able to play while the situation is under appeal but I'm not a legal expert by any means (though I do own a gavel).
Who hears the appeal though? Is it a 3rd party? If not, what's the point?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote: Who hears the appeal though? Is it a 3rd party? If not, what's the point?
Yes. He'll request a neutral arbitrator, but I have no idea if he'll be granted that request or how that's even determined.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@JasonLaCanfora -- NFLPA: decision to suspend Peterson is another example of credibility gap that exists b/n agreements they make and actions they take.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TomPelissero -- "The NFLPA will appeal this suspension and will demand that a neutral arbitrator oversee the appeal." So there you go.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@JasonLaCanfora -- NFL: Injury inflicted on your son includes emotional and physiological trauma to a child who suffers criminal abuse at hands of his father
@JasonLaCanfora -- Not that there was ever much chance Peterson was going to make $13M in 2015 as his contract states anyway, but this further cements it...
@GoesslingESPN -- Unless Peterson can get appeal with neutral arbitrator, NFL has created a path for the Vikings to let him go well before he's reinstated.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

The NFL has screwed the pooch on this one. What they have done is set a precedent that the NFLPA and the players should make sure they fight tooth and nail. I will bet they come back and say that Peterson cannot play while he appeals. Or, it will be the fastest appeal you have ever seen.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DeMaurice Smith, Executive Director of the NFLPA, was just on M&M and he had pretty strong words about the way the league has handled this. I think quite a battle is brewin'...
w_huisman
Transition Player

Post by w_huisman »

The way I understand it, Peterson will remain on the Commissioner's Exempt list during the appeal process. So he won't be playing this year, unless the appeal arbitrator's ruling is executed in time and allows for it.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

April 15 screws the Vikings. It's a month after free agency starts. So it puts the Vikings in the bind of not knowing if they will get Peterson back next year either.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Raptorman wrote:April 15 screws the Vikings. It's a month after free agency starts. So it puts the Vikings in the bind of not knowing if they will get Peterson back next year either.
I can not imagine his suspension lasting past this year. I would be fine with them trading him anyway.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

NFL suspends Peterson for the rest of the season.

Post by yezzir »

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was notified Tuesday morning that he has been suspended without pay for at least the remainder of the 2014 season by the NFL.
He has three days to appeal, per the most recent collective bargaining agreement. Peterson won't wait that long, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.
---------------

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/NFL_ ... ason111814
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:
Who the hell is the NFL to determine what his son suffered because of this? The mother of the son has publicly said she and the son have gotten over it.
Pathetic.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Mothman wrote:DeMaurice Smith, Executive Director of the NFLPA, was just on M&M and he had pretty strong words about the way the league has handled this. I think quite a battle is brewin'...
It should be brewin! The new policy they agreed on in September, doesn't put a year long suspension on 1st time offenders. I am sure it doesn't have a degree of offense carrying a more lengthy punishment. The NFL can say being on the exempt list wasn't a suspension, but if it walks like a duck.................
This space available for rent.