Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by The Breeze »

The players union wants a collaborative agreement on how discipline should be handled for these abuse situations going forward and it appears the league is wanting to make it up as it goes.

As per the agreement, AD should be reinstated now and has the option to appeal any further suspension the league hands down, which would allow him to play until the appeal is resolved. Sounds like the league doesn't want to allow that scenario and this could easily get bogged down until the season is sufficiently over.

That's how it looks to me anyway.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

maembe wrote:So apparently the league is going to try to wage a PR war. Super lame.

bingo. The league's trying everything it can to soften the inevitable blow that's coming from next week's hearing. Stalling and attempting to manipulate public perception is all they've been able to accomplish. Fortunately they're going to be forced to act soon and there's really nothing they can do about it
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -difficult
The NFLPA believes Peterson should have been reinstated after his plea bargain and cited a signed letter that said the running back would remain on the commissioner's exempt list until his legal matter was resolved. The NFLPA contends the NFL has reneged on that agreement, and Peterson's camp was reportedly concerned about the nature of the meeting and the role outside experts would have in it. Arbitrator Shyam Das is still scheduled to hear on Monday the NFLPA's grievance on whether Peterson should be reinstated while the league determines final discipline, but the Friday meeting would have ultimately been more integral to the question of Peterson's status. The NFL said it will not reschedule the meeting, and its decision about Peterson now appears to be in limbo.

The league wants access to more detailed court information than it currently has; that information was sealed after Peterson's plea bargain and is not available to third parties, according to Texas law. The union doesn't trust the NFL's disciplinary process and is trying to effect change by refusing to go along with the current set of rules.

That doesn't sound like circumstances designed to get Peterson back on the field quickly. Perhaps Das will rule Peterson should be allowed to play while his case is decided; perhaps the league will suspend Peterson based on the information it already has. But the mistrust that exists between the league and the union over player discipline is factoring heavily into Peterson's bid to return to the field, and if both sides are digging in for a protracted battle over the issue, the running back's chances for a quick return could be a casualty of it.
Theres amore at the link but this doesn't look good.

By the time it's over, I suspect the NFL will have thoroughly screwed the pooch and made themselves look bad in their efforts to make themselves look good. What a mess...
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote:http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -difficult

By the time it's over, I suspect the NFL will have thoroughly screwed the pooch and made themselves look bad in their efforts to make themselves look good. What a mess...

Okay so what I want to know is couldn't the NFLPA have gotten a judge to force ( I am forgetting the term for it :( ) the NFL to follow its own agreement (the reinstatement bit) ? Why all this posturing, if the NFL agreed in explicit language in what amounts to a contract I would have thought AP would be in the clear for now.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote:http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -difficult

What gives the NFL the right to be judge, jury, and executioner? Moreover, what give Goodell the right to rescind a written contract that stated Peterson may return to the NFL following his court decision? Honestly, I cannot fathom the actuality of the owners in the NFL believing Goodell is good for the game of football. It is too bad money is more important to them than the integrity of the game however.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

On to Chicago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

this just got real, Peterson (aka NFLPA) sticking it to the NFL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-process/
“The report that I backed out of a meeting with the NFL is just not true,” Peterson said in the statement. “When Roger Goodell’s office asked that I attend the ‘hearing’ on Friday, I consulted with my union and learned that this ‘hearing’ was something new and inconsistent with the CBA. On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of this past week, my union sent emails, letters, and had conversations with his office on my behalf asking about the nature of the hearing, how it was to occur, who would participate, and its purpose. We repeatedly asked them to respond quickly to my questions because I want to cooperate and get back on the field, but they didn’t respond until late Wednesday evening, and even then they didn’t answer important questions about their proposed ‘hearing.’”

“After consulting with the union, I told the NFL that I will attend the standard meeting with the Commissioner prior to possible imposition of discipline, as has been the long-term practice under the CBA, but I wouldn’t participate in a newly created and non-collectively bargained pre-discipline ‘hearing’ that would include outside people I don’t know and who would have roles in the process that the NFL wouldn’t disclose,” the statement said. “At this point, I’ve resolved my matter in the criminal court; I’ve worked to make amends for what I’ve done; I’ve missed most of the season, and I stand ready to be candid and forthcoming with Mr. Goodell about what happened. However, I will not allow the NFL to impose a new process of discipline on me, ignore the CBA, ignore the deal they agreed to with me, and behave without fairness or accountability. The process they are pushing is arbitrary, inconsistent, and contrary to what they agreed to do, and for those reasons, I never agreed to the hearing. I’m sorry for all of this, but I can’t excuse their refusal to be fair.”
statement by Adrian Peterson
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

saint33 wrote:this just got real, Peterson (aka NFLPA) sticking it to the NFL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-process/
statement by Adrian Peterson
Good for him. The NFL is obviously winging it and making themselves look even more pathetic. Once they came in after the tape to up the punishment for Ray Rice they lost all credibility and have done nothing to re-establish that credibility since.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I knew this crap would happen, and it is crap. Im no AD supporter, but I doubt if this superstar were on any other team, this would happen, man this burns me.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

There's no way he wrote that himself. This is all hired help telling him what to say and the NFL making stuff up as they go. Both sides just posturing.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

My parents (both Packer fans) were very against AD after the incident this year... but now after learning how the NFL is treating him unfairly in his reinstatement, they have now gone back on his side and said he should be playing by now. Small sample size, but I'd say the way the NFL is handling this situation is making the NFL look much worse and AD look much better.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

S197 wrote:There's no way he wrote that himself. This is all hired help telling him what to say and the NFL making stuff up as they go. Both sides just posturing.
Nope, he didn't. Doesn't matter. The NFL looks like they are going to go ahead and attempt to hand out a punishment on Peterson. See their remark that the meeting will not be rescheduled and that they would have to go with what they know. Also the fact that they claim that Peterson's camp has not provided court documents when they know damn well it's against TX law for him to do so.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Isn't the NFL doing EXACTLY what we predicted in this thread?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DKSweets wrote:Isn't the NFL doing EXACTLY what we predicted in this thread?

It sure looks that way, doesn't it?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The NFL administration is a joke.

You have a hearing scheduled for Monday, so you call a pre-meeting for Friday? Won't reveal what you're going to ask? Who's going to be there? No arbitrator? No rules?

This was an attempt at an ambush, pure and simple. AP and his team did exactly what they should have done.

What a bunch of idiots Goodell and his minions are.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.