Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by Purple Reign »

Purple bruise wrote: Wow, seems as though you are pretty much out of touch with reality there Doctor. What percentage of NFL players get into trouble anyway....do you have a guess? I would bet that it is a very small fraction of the thousands of players that are on active rosters.
For several poor kids, sports is their only avenue out of the ghettos and hardships that they face gowing up impoverished.
Thousands of players on active rosters? 32 teams x 53 man active roster = about 1700 players.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple Reign wrote:Thousands of players on active rosters? 32 teams x 53 man active roster = about 1700 players.
Add in the 8 players just about every team is carrying on their practice squads and you have another 256, which leads to a total only 48 short of 2000. It's close to "thousands". :) Plus, there are players entering and leaving the league every year so over the course of two years, we'd be almost certainly be talking about thousands of players. Whether we look at it that way or put the number at a firm 1696 or 1952, it really doesn't undermine the point Purple Bruise is making, which is that a relatively low percentage of NFL players actually get into trouble. It is clearly an exaggeration to say NFL players are "frequently little more then street thugs who would be killing and selling drugs or robbing you if they werent good at playing with that funny shaped ball". That's painting with a broad brush indeed.

As for Chicagopurple's other point about eliminating free rides... some players simply wouldn't get the chance to go to school if they didn't receive athletic scholarships. Many of them actually do "go to classes, do their own homework, and EARN their degree in 4 years".
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Purple Reign wrote: Thousands of players on active rosters? 32 teams x 53 man active roster = about 1700 players.
Way to nit pick and miss the whole point of my argument :roll:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Purple bruise wrote: Way to nit pick and miss the whole point of my argument :roll:
What makes you think I missed your point? I was just pointing out a fact that there aren't 'thousands' of players on active rosters. Sorry if you are that sensitive. :wink:
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Let's stop speculating and look at the facts:

In 2011, there were 3,991.1 arrests per 100,000 inhabitants in the United States, or roughly 4% of the general population. That year in the NFL, there were 49 player arrests, or roughly 2.9% of the players on the active roster (and this is using the highly conservative number 1700, which doesn't reflect all of the moves made during the season or the practice squad).

So actually, NFL players are quite clearly less likely to get arrested than the average population. They are much more than "street thugs who would be killing and selling drugs or robbing you if they weren't good at playing with that funny shaped ball".

Remember, for every Ray Rice out there, there are many more players like Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman who received degrees in Criminal Justice.

Then again, that would require you to pay attention to the truth of the matter instead of using movie stereotypes for every person you don't understand.

Sources:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/cr ... s-arrested
http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

DKSweets wrote:Let's stop speculating and look at the facts:

In 2011, there were 3,991.1 arrests per 100,000 inhabitants in the United States, or roughly 4% of the general population. That year in the NFL, there were 49 player arrests, or roughly 2.9% of the players on the active roster (and this is using the highly conservative number 1700, which doesn't reflect all of the moves made during the season or the practice squad).

So actually, NFL players are quite clearly less likely to get arrested than the average population. They are much more than "street thugs who would be killing and selling drugs or robbing you if they weren't good at playing with that funny shaped ball".

Remember, for every Ray Rice out there, there are many more players like Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman who received degrees in Criminal Justice.

Then again, that would require you to pay attention to the truth of the matter instead of using movie stereotypes for every person you don't understand.

Sources:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/cr ... s-arrested
http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/
NaVorro Bowman and P Willy would make a couple bad #### cops. Hahahha.

Gerald Hodges is going to be our Bowman, btw.... #LinebackerUniversity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Purple Reign wrote: What makes you think I missed your point? I was just pointing out a fact that there aren't 'thousands' of players on active rosters. Sorry if you are that sensitive. :wink:
Come on man, you must be smarter than that (I hope). I made a vary valid point about the Doctor's statements and all you could say was that I was way off on my numbers of players on active rosters. Look up "nit picking" :wink:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Purple bruise wrote: Come on man, you must be smarter than that (I hope). I made a vary valid point about the Doctor's statements and all you could say was that I was way off on my numbers of players on active rosters. Look up "nit picking" :wink:
Smarter than what? Yes, you made a very valid point and just because I didn't come out and explicitly say that I agreed with you doesn't mean that I missed your point. Actually by not making a counter point by default should mean that I agree with you. By your logic, everyone else who didn't respond at all must also have missed your point. :?: I merely saw your 'thousands' reference, and not knowing you, maybe you thought there were a 100 or more people on an active roster so I just thought I would point out the actual number. Again, not so sure why you are taking so much offense to it. :confused:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Really guys?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

It means this thread is about to get crazy again...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I don't know what this means:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11880 ... ry-hearing
It's likely more political posturing between the NFL and the NFLPA but who knows?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: It's likely more political posturing between the NFL and the NFLPA but who knows?

Well AD probably wouldn't have skipped it on his own... more than likely the union and his lawyers told him not to. The league is acting like 3rd graders with all of this.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Well AD probably wouldn't have skipped it on his own... more than likely the union and his lawyers told him not to. The league is acting like 3rd graders with all of this.
It's pretty annoying.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

So apparently the league is going to try to wage a PR war. Super lame.