Vikings QB of the future search list

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings QB of the future search list

Post by Mothman »

Tark10 wrote:Lets give the G.M. a chance in this draft. I'm still hoping for Manziel. I heard Mayock discuss Carr the other day. The review sounded just like Ponder. If the pocket holds and the primary receiver is open, he looks great. If not, he runs... Ponder II.. If they do draft a QB, I can't see them keeping 3 quarterbacks on the roster. They just signed Matt. I would expect Ponder to be released.. That'll be a happy day for me. Staubach said the Texans should draft Manziel. Here in Houston, its beginning to sound like Clowney, then a quarterback in the second round.

Why wouldn't they keep 3 QBs on the roster? It's a common practice in the NFL.
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

No QBs ever selected in the Top 10 picks? Part of the reason is that they seldom have had a pick in the top 10.
"Meet at the quarterback"
KSViking
Veteran

Vikings holding private workout with QB Jimmy Garoppolo

Post by KSViking »

Vikings holding private workout with QB Jimmy Garoppolo Friday

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 13031.html
It’s noteworthy that offensive coordinator Norv Turner didn’t get a chance to watch Garoppolo at the East-West game or at the Senior Bowl. His son, quarterbacks coach Scott Turner, was at the Senior Bowl as head coach Mike Zimmer was assembling his coaching staff.

While Garoppolo did throw at the Combine, where he measured at 6-2 and 226 pounds, but this could be Turner’s first shot of watching Garoppolo in person. The Walter Payton Award winner for FCS most outstanding player led the FCS with 5,050 passing yards.

The Vikings met with LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger on Thursday following his Pro Day. They’ll remain busy next week with their “Top 30” event scheduled for Monday and Tuesday.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings holding private workout with QB Jimmy Garoppolo

Post by Mothman »

KSViking wrote:Vikings holding private workout with QB Jimmy Garoppolo Friday

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 13031.html
Thanks for the info. They're certainly doing their due diligence on the QBs in this draft, aren't they?
KSViking
Veteran

Re: Vikings holding private workout with QB Jimmy Garoppolo

Post by KSViking »

Mothman wrote: Thanks for the info. They're certainly doing their due diligence on the QBs in this draft, aren't they?
Yeah, I hope they get a good eye full, and ear full from any of these QBs before they draft one. You know, the more we get closer to the draft, the less I am excited about whoever the new QB is going to be. Im going to be happy that we get one in the stable, and start prepping him for the future, but Im much more excited to see what they do on Defensive side of the ball. Can we get some more play makers and bring back the hard nosed Defense we are used to having? I don't know if its just because Im tired of hearing about it, or if its because I have watched so many videos/tape on each of them that they all start to meld together into 1 decent but unamazing QB in my head. Manziel seems to be the only one that stands out as a different style.. But they can all make good throws, they all make good/bad plays. I also saw them all make some really bad throws, but had some good WRs help make up for their mistakes. I think Garrapollo might be my favorite to watch on tape, but he wasn't playing the same competition on Defense that the others were playing either. On the other hand, he didn't have the Line and the WRs some of the other guys had. Its a double edged sword for sure.
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

Minnesota Vikings:
4/11: Norv Turner was "calling out routes" for Zach Mettenberger during his private workout with the LSU quarterback, according to Ben Goessling, ESPN. It's been previously reported that the Vikings will be targeting Mettenberger in Round 2.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2014rumorsteams.php

:thumbsup:
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

They have been smart about these things over the last few years, and it's not smart to let people know who you want - it's easy for other teams to move up into the slot above us to get him. So I have to think it's a bit of a smokescreen. If we want him, we'll grab him a bit earlier than our slot. Or someone will grab him earlier. Or we'll go for our real target instead. It just seems silly to show our cards this way.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

John_Viveiros wrote: They have been smart about these things over the last few years, and it's not smart to let people know who you want - it's easy for other teams to move up into the slot above us to get him. So I have to think it's a bit of a smokescreen. If we want him, we'll grab him a bit earlier than our slot. Or someone will grab him earlier. Or we'll go for our real target instead. It just seems silly to show our cards this way.

I honestly don't see how they're showing any cards at all at this point. They've attended the pro days of most of the major QB candidates in this draft, had dinner with several of them, had private workouts with several of them... is there really any clear idea at all of which QB they would draft? Heck, do they even know which QB they would draft yet? ;)
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Mothman wrote: Heck, do they even know which QB they would draft yet? ;)

I'm sure they 2,3 different options high on their board, all depending how the first 7 picks play out. Including 2nd round targets.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

headless_norseman wrote:
I'm sure they 2,3 different options high on their board, all depending how the first 7 picks play out. Including 2nd round targets.
Spielman is pretty shrewd and you can bet by draft day that he will be very prepared. There will be at least 50 different options that will be presented to Vikes with that 8th pick. Trading up, trading down, bundling players or picks, trading for a veteran player that they have their eyes on, just a myriad of options will avail themselves. IMO Very exciting indeed :)
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

Vikings Are Prime Candidates to Trade Up for Bortles

Updated April 14, 2014
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Everyone knows that the St. Louis Rams want to trade down from the second-overall pick. With the 2014 quarterback class not yielding multiple elite prospects for the top of the draft, there has been some doubt about the Rams' ability to move down this year. However, if the Houston Texans take Jadeveon Clowney with the first pick, there are a number of teams that could move up with the Rams to get the top-ranked quarterback.

One team that is a prime contender to move up with St. Louis is the Minnesota Vikings. Sources have told us that the Vikings are a real contender to move up for Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles.

That trade was documented in two recent mock drafts on WalterFootball.com in Walt's trade mock and my mock . His good work ethic meshes well with the new coaching staff, and sources say that Bortles is the Vikings' top-rated quarterback with Derek Carr as their No. 2 quarterback.

Minnesota clearly needs a franchise quarterback, and the team has extra ammo to move up with two third-round picks. Sources with the Rams say that it would take a lot for St. Louis to drop down to eight. The Vikings could try a big package of second-day picks, but might have to use their 2015 first-rounder.

Even if they deal a 2015 first-round pick, they still would have drafted six first-round talents over a four-year span (2012-2015). That list of first-rounders would include three on each side of the ball with Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, Harrison Smith, Matt Kalil, Cordarrelle Patterson and potentially Bortles. However, the price could rise or fall depending on other teams looking to get involved in the trade market.

The Rams were able to get a huge haul of draft picks from the Redskins in order for Washington to draft Robert Griffin III in 2012. In that same draft, St. Louis moved down again with the Dallas Cowboys for a second-round pick to the 14th-overall pick from the sixth-overall choice. Last year, the Rams moved down in the 20s before selecting linebacker Alec Ogletree. As we highlighted below, if the Rams are stuck at No. 2, they would be inclined toward drafting Khalil Mack and are said to be falling in love with him. Thus, it will take a lot for St. Louis to pass up on Mack.

The Vikings know in order to land Bortles, they would need to trade with the Rams because Bortles could easily be drafted by the Jaguars at three, Browns at four or Raiders at five. The deal wouldn't go down until the Rams are on the clock, but St. Louis could end up with another big haul of early-round picks, and Minnesota could finally land the franchise quarterback it has been missing.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

:puke:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Sources tell me the Vikings will actually trade up to #2 and draft Bortles but will then trade him to Jacksonville for the third pick and a third rounder. Sources then revealed the Vikes will draft Manziel at #3 and he will immediately be traded to Cleveland for the #4 pick, and a fourth rounder. The Vikes will use the #4 pick to draft Bridgewater, who will immediately be traded to the Raiders for the #5 pick and a second rounder. After that, sources tell me the Vikings will draft Mack and will use some of the extra picks they acquired to move back into the first and draft Carr, who they will then trade. Sources aren't clear about who the Vikings trade partner in that transaction will be but sources can be funny that way.

The Vikings will then draft Jimmy Garoppolo in the second round.

Sources tell me the Vikings will do all of this because their research has revealed that it will be the most effective way to upset a majority of their fan base.

What can I say? I'm getting all of this from sources. Yep. Reliable sources...
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote: What can I say? I'm getting all of this from sources. Yep. Reliable sources...
:lol: Good stuff.

But now you just ruined the draft for me, because it won't even be half that exciting! :cry:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:Sources tell me the Vikings will actually trade up to #2 and draft Bortles but will then trade him to Jacksonville for the third pick and a third rounder. Sources then revealed the Vikes will draft Manziel at #3 and he will immediately be traded to Cleveland for the #4 pick, and a fourth rounder. The Vikes will use the #4 pick to draft Bridgewater, who will immediately be traded to the Raiders for the #5 pick and a second rounder. After that, sources tell me the Vikings will draft Mack and will use some of the extra picks they acquired to move back into the first and draft Carr, who they will then trade. Sources aren't clear about who the Vikings trade partner in that transaction will be but sources can be funny that way.

The Vikings will then draft Jimmy Garoppolo in the second round.

Sources tell me the Vikings will do all of this because their research has revealed that it will be the most effective way to upset a majority of their fan base.

What can I say? I'm getting all of this from sources. Yep. Reliable sources...

My sources say that your sources are ugly.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018